The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clutch replacement question Rover 75 Diesel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310240)

JMW 1st January 2021 18:27

Clutch replacement question Rover 75 Diesel

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,

So the clutch went a few months ago in the 2003 75 tourer and I have just finished replacing it, master and slave, Borg and Beck and Luk items.

When I removed the old slave it looked like the seal had gone but also there was melted plastic in there as well so it must have got hot. Used a clutch aligning tool when fitting the replacement parts and followed the forum How To.

Everything has gone back together, gearbox oil replaced, clutch system flushed through which produced some interesting stuff from the new slave, see picture, flushed through until all clear. As I was removing the old slave a metal collar came off and I didn't see its original orientation so put it back as it seemed to fit, see pic.

Started the car no problem, goes into gear and ran it on blocks to check hubs turning, all fine until I pressed the brakes to check the engine would stall, and it didn't.

Does anyone have any idea? I would have expected the car to stall with the brakes applies as the hubs stopped turning. Only thing I can think of is that the abs sensor for the nearside has not yet been reconnected? Or the new clutch is slipping.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Jon

macafee2 1st January 2021 18:31

I would think the ABS has nowt to do with stalling the car if you are trying to "drive it" and have locked the front wheels. Unless with no sensor the brakes pads are not holding the brakes still

macafee2

cb750chris 2nd January 2021 08:17

Hi Jon,
The 'ring' part shown in picture 5286 (last picture) is part of the old slave cylinder (from what I can see) - you didn't put it back in with the new clutch parts did you?
If you did I suspect you may need to take it out.
The brakes should stall the engine, regardless of whether the abs sensor is fitted.
Regards Chris

JMW 2nd January 2021 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb750chris (Post 2857244)
Hi Jon,
The 'ring' part shown in picture 5286 (last picture) is part of the old slave cylinder (from what I can see) - you didn't put it back in with the new clutch parts did you?
If you did I suspect you may need to take it out.
The brakes should stall the engine, regardless of whether the abs sensor is fitted.
Regards Chris

Hi Chris,

I thought this was a cover for the shaft and put it back in, that must be why the clutch couldn’t engage fully.

I removed everything and took the item out and the clutch now works as should, stalled engine when brakes applied and drove it back and forward to check all ok.

Thank you for the advice and now all sorted.

Regards

Jon

macafee2 2nd January 2021 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMW (Post 2857270)
Hi Chris,

I thought this was a cover for the shaft and put it back in, that must be why the clutch couldn’t engage fully.

I removed everything and took the item out and the clutch now works as should, stalled engine when brakes applied and drove it back and forward to check all ok.

Thank you for the advice and now all sorted.

Regards

Jon

you did that in double quick time, I take my hat off to you

macafee2

cb750chris 2nd January 2021 16:47

Great news Jon - glad to hear you are sorted :)

Shame you had to go through all that work again - I echo Ian's comment that you managed that quick, but I guess everything was all nice and ready to disassemble since it has only just been put back together.

JMW 2nd January 2021 17:34

In the end took us about 6 hours to redo it but we knew what we were doing at that point and the experience helped, how low to drop the subframe etc, worst part was the rusty bolts first time.