The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Noisy Wiper. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311416)

jackatesme 1st March 2021 19:05

Noisy Wiper.

Not on the 75 on the Renault. Changed wiper twice, second time fitter noticed arm looking a little bent. Bought a new arm, still noisy. Tried the white vinegar, still noisy. It's driving me mad. Any help appreciated.:mad:

Number 6 1st March 2021 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2868410)
Not on the 75 on the Renault. Changed wiper twice, second time fitter noticed arm looking a little bent. Bought a new arm, still noisy. Tried the white vinegar, still noisy. It's driving me mad. Any help appreciated.:mad:

When you say "Noisey" do you mean it "Judders" when going in one direction??

COLVERT 1st March 2021 19:16

Do you mean the mechanism or the rubber blade against the screen or something else ??---:shrug:

Heddy 1st March 2021 21:33

The weather doesn't help I'm afraid, the cold hardens the rubber and it tends to scrape rather than wipe.

jackatesme 1st March 2021 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2868414)
Do you mean the mechanism or the rubber blade against the screen or something else ??---:shrug:

Rubber blade.

jackatesme 1st March 2021 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heddy (Post 2868456)
The weather doesn't help I'm afraid, the cold hardens the rubber and it tends to scrape rather than wipe.

It has been noisy before the weather got cold.

itcaptainslow 1st March 2021 21:54

Might be some wax or grease on the windscreen. Try degreasing it with vinegar, tar remover or a clay bar.

clf 1st March 2021 22:20

clay bar to remove any deposits, followed by 0000 wire wool, followed by another pass with the clay bar, then a glass polish (not a cleaner) and then clean with glass cleaner, finish if you wish with a rainX type sealer, but I find these as they break down can lead to juddering.

Annually, I will clay the car, including the glass - only did the wire wool treatment once. Have done this with a Passat, and the ZT, but had noise issues with a mk1 Megane years ago, that were resolved with quality wiper blades (if I recall they were Bosch with a spoiler). Proper blades with a frame, rather than the aero flat type ones (these were awful on the Megane, but the Passat was designed to use them).

Am a member of a Clio forum, and recently a couple have complained about the spring in the arm 'feeling weak', which could also be an issue.

KWIL 2nd March 2021 08:06

Another cause is wrong twist in the arm, causing the rubber blade to "dig in" in one direction. Dependent upon which way it digs in, twist the arm to lessen the dig in. If you get my drift.

Ducati750cc 2nd March 2021 09:46

As Kwil says a slight twist in the arm can cause this, the evidence is that it makes the noise in one direction.

If you watch the blade as it sweeps the screen you should see it flop over equally as it returns from the end of its travel, if it doesn't you will have to tweak the arm carefully, testing it after each adjustment on a wet screen.

As others have mentioned nothing will be lost by giving the screen a good clean by the methods advised.

Ref. RainX, it is excellent stuff, I use it on all the glass except the windscreen, I used it on the windscreen once and at speed the raindrops beaded and blew up the windscreen giving a clear screen, however at lower speeds I found the beads were a nuisance, more so than on an untreated screen, especially at night and on intermittent wipe.