The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   running in an engine, is it a myth? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295488)

macafee2 3rd May 2019 06:51

running in an engine, is it a myth?

when I was a teenager someone once said to me about running in an engine, run in fast, always fast. Is this a myth?
I was also told run an engine in gently.... handbooks used to say similar

Race engines, I think they get thrashed from day 1 which fits with run in fast, always fast but they have a short life

macafee2

Daveluck 3rd May 2019 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2731213)
when I was a teenager someone once said to me about running in an engine, run in fast, always fast. Is this a myth?
I was also told run an engine in gently.... handbooks used to say similar

Race engines, I think they get thrashed from day 1 which fits with run in fast, always fast but they have a short life

macafee2

Blimey....
Please Pass - Running In.

I had a couple of those signs in the back window back when. So always slowly ( or as slow as a hormonal teenager with a pretty girl in the passenger seat and a 2.0s Capri could drive )

Ahhhh...happy days.

KWIL 3rd May 2019 07:43

It used to be, not to exceed 2000 rpm, always gentle acceleration and first oil + filter change at 500 miles.

roverbarmy 3rd May 2019 08:41

I remember the signs "Running in please pass" and the ones "Running out please push"!:D
My old dad used to shout "No mechanical sympathy"

when anything was being thrashed. :shrug:

COLVERT 3rd May 2019 09:12

Too many variables for a quick reply.
Maker--materials used--factory tolerances--etc, etc the list goes on and on.

Generally though take it easy for the first 1,000 miles or so if you want long life.

Those racing engines last only a few months.---:eek::eek::eek:

macafee2 3rd May 2019 10:16

but what about run in fast always fast, is it true or rubbish?

macafee2

MSS 3rd May 2019 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2731239)
Too many variables for a quick reply.
Maker--materials used--factory tolerances--etc, etc the list goes on and on.

Generally though take it easy for the first 1,000 miles or so if you want long life.

Those racing engines last only a few months.---:eek::eek::eek:

Agreed.

Also, change the engine oil after the first 1000 miles in order to remove the suspended particles resulting from the running in process.

T-Cut 3rd May 2019 10:33

New engines 'run in' better using mineral based (non-synthetic) oils. If the plan is to lube an engine with fully synthetic oil, then only start using it after the 'running-in' period. I wonder how many brand new cars actually get 'run-in' these days?

TC

madeupname 3rd May 2019 10:40

back in the 60's my dad bought a new Mini. Turquoise AWB 237 B (amazing how we remember these things innit :D ) And he had to run it in. He was told don't go above 50mph until it had done 500 miles. We happened to be on one of those new motorway roads at the time, on our holidays. As soon as the odometer reached 500 miles he put his foot down and sped up to 70 mph. I was so excited to be going so fast and just stared at the speedo.
I think the idea was to then take it to a garage to get the bolts checked to make sure none had vibrated loose. Can't remember that happening though.
He also had an Austin Cambridge at one stage (the type with the fins) I really liked that car.
Ahh, memories :}

MSS 3rd May 2019 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2731251)
New engines 'run in' better using mineral based (non-synthetic) oils. If the plan is to lube an engine with fully synthetic oil, then only start using it after the 'running-in' period. I wonder how many brand new cars actually get 'run-in' these days?

TC

I agree with that also. I do this with all my engines - RC models, strimmers, lawnmowers....

Mineral oils allow the engine to bed in better whereas synthetics slow it down.