The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Royal Steering Wheels (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305395)

The Mighty Quinn 4th June 2020 18:51

Royal Steering Wheels

4 Attachment(s)
Had left a sandstone and walnut wheel with Royal Steering Wheels in Aylesbury over the past couple weeks to get the sandstone leather replaced with Ash Grey (or their nearest alternative), as I'll be going to the all black, ZT-style interior soon.

I chose printed leather to match the airbag, although they do perforated leather and smooth nappa leather too, depending on your requirements.

Have attached a couple of photos to show how it's turned out. I'm quite pleased with it overall - nice tidy stitching. Only thing I'd advise would be to thoroughly tape up the walnut sections before sending off, as it came back with a small number of (admittedly very minor) marks here and there - not noticeable, in fairness.. they're probably not used to re-trimming wood wheels.. :shrug:

Expensive at £170, but will tie-in better with its surrounds once fitted :)

BTW, their website says they're very busy at the moment.

Cheers,
Karl.

Typhoon190 4th June 2020 19:13

That looks a smart job.

I'm hoping to get round to doing a few interior project parts on my ZR and ZT-T's. Found this company local to me.

https://www.facebook.com/JWAutoTrim/

75driver 4th June 2020 19:18

Looks to be a good job Karl.
I don’t know why, but I just don’t like the black leather against walnut.🤭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinabrian 4th June 2020 19:26

I don't know, if I didn't prefer black leather steering wheels over wooden wheels in general, I'd go for something along those lines.

When I drive the wife's car, I tend to rest my hands on the airbag, rather than hold the wooden part.

It will look nice though, I personally dislike the lighter cabin colours, and both of mine, the ZT and the 75 have Ash Grey and walnut, the 75 also has a R3 airbag badge fitted ;)

Brian :D

clf 4th June 2020 20:15

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn (Post 2816642)
Had left a sandstone and walnut wheel with Royal Steering Wheels in Aylesbury over the past couple weeks to get the sandstone leather replaced with Ash Grey (or their nearest alternative), as I'll be going to the all black, ZT-style interior soon.

I chose printed leather to match the airbag, although they do perforated leather and smooth nappa leather too, depending on your requirements.

Have attached a couple of photos to show how it's turned out. I'm quite pleased with it overall - nice tidy stitching. Only thing I'd advise would be to thoroughly tape up the walnut sections before sending off, as it came back with a small number of (admittedly very minor) marks here and there - not noticeable, in fairness.. they're probably not used to re-trimming wood wheels.. :shrug:

Expensive at £170, but will tie-in better with its surrounds once fitted :)

BTW, their website says they're very busy at the moment.

Cheers,
Karl.

Are you still in Enniskillen, Karl? whilst it is too late now, but it may be useful for future reference, there is a guy relatively local, in Ballymena, Arek Car Design. He did my steering wheel and various gaiters, as well as gear selector and the handbrake handle. I dont know how accurate the other colours are, but the perforated ash grey is very very close. He mistakenly did the wheel smokestone, as that was how I dropped it off, and it seemed to be quite close to my eye (I had nothing to refer it to).

Images of the ash grey perforated are attached

The Mighty Quinn 4th June 2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2816655)
I don't know, if I didn't prefer black leather steering wheels over wooden wheels in general, I'd go for something along those lines.

When I drive the wife's car, I tend to rest my hands on the airbag, rather than hold the wooden part.

It will look nice though, I personally dislike the lighter cabin colours, and both of mine, the ZT and the 75 have Ash Grey and walnut, the 75 also has a R3 airbag badge fitted ;)

Brian :D

I'm pretty sure I referred to some instruction of yours Brian (from another thread - few years ago), to switch the airbag badge from MG to Rover - many thanks :) :bowdown:

Cheers,
Karl.

The Mighty Quinn 4th June 2020 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2816671)
Are you still in Enniskillen, Karl? whilst it is too late now, but it may be useful for future reference, there is a guy relatively local, in Ballymena, Arek Car Design. He did my steering wheel and various gaiters, as well as gear selector and the handbrake handle. I dont know how accurate the other colours are, but the perforated ash grey is very very close. He mistakenly did the wheel smokestone, as that was how I dropped it off, and it seemed to be quite close to my eye (I had nothing to refer it to).

Images of the ash grey perforated are attached

Those parts (and the interior) look lush, Alan..

I actually got the idea of re-trimming the wheel from your work a few years ago - thank you! :) :bowdown:

I was going to live with the Smokestone leather parts on the wheel - and considered changing a ZT's door cards' central material to Smokestone or Sandstone, to get the overall effect of a (cheap) Monogram interior - with Sandstone leather seats against the Ash Grey black dash etc. But it just seemed like too much work - and this seemed like a reasonable alternative. Hopefully, the interior comes back together the way I envisage it..

When it came time to re-trim the wheel, I actually contacted Arek Car Design first, but unfortunately, they were closed due to the pandemic :o

Good to have the details though, in case any other parts need doing.

Cheers,
Karl.

myfirstrover 4th June 2020 20:58

Had mine done by Royal , very pleased with it , they can do them on an exchange basis so if it's your daily driver your not carless
https://i.imgur.com/dyqAM4cm.jpg

clf 4th June 2020 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn (Post 2816679)
Those parts (and the interior) look lush, Alan..

I actually got the idea of re-trimming the wheel from your work a few years ago - thank you! :) :bowdown:

I was going to live with the Smokestone leather parts on the wheel - and considered changing a ZT's door cards' central material to Smokestone or Sandstone, to get the overall effect of a (cheap) Monogram interior - with Sandstone leather seats against the Ash Grey black dash etc. But it just seemed like too much work - and this seemed like a reasonable alternative. Hopefully, the interior comes back together the way I envisage it..

When it came time to re-trim the wheel, I actually contacted Arek Car Design first, but unfortunately, they were closed due to the pandemic :o

Good to have the details though, in case any other parts need doing.

Cheers,
Karl.

It is nice to read my efforts have inspired someone :} I know mine is not everyone's taste, but it suits me.

You dont need to change the material. There is an ash grey smokestone door card if you wanted to go down that route, and they would be easy enough to obtain. I had the same idea back when I did mine, inspired myself by AldoR's beautiful mongram V8. But when I tried it, it just seemed flat to me - I still think AldoR's V8 interior looks fantastic though, I think the dark oak is what ties it all together. (there is an image of his in post 1 HERE, along with my attempt at a mash up of the lower smokestone panels)

Arctic 4th June 2020 21:18

Black Oak ?

Hi Karl.
They look really good, leather work looks to be spot on, I have this below to do something with, it started out as a black oak steering wheel I think, it seems to have been painted Rhodium Grey.

I think I may paint it black or even try and strip it back to black oak.

https://i.imgur.com/Gtf7dKFl.jpg