The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How did you fall for your first Rover? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55728)

Jay 5th March 2010 20:37

How did you fall for your first Rover?

Late last year I started saving for a motorbike. Had a Jap cruiser or Harley in mind. Bought Bike Trader religiously and could think of nothing else. Then along comes an old mate I haven't seen in a while In a Royal Blue Rover 75 connie. Cant say I'd really noticed them before but after a few more visits, I just fell for the shape of the car, the curves the crome and the impressive spec that goes with it for the price.
Suffice to say the motorbike went out of the window, sold my car and bought the beautiful Contemporary SE I have today. Well four days :drool4:

kevineds 5th March 2010 20:51

New to 75 ownership myself. All happened a bit quickly - been around rovers for a few years with classic mini ownership and always admired 75s but not really seriously considered being able to own one. Then one caught my eye for sale near my parents. Went for a look round, more out of curiosity i guess. Went away impressed, then called back the next day and 1 hour later drove away :D

2Diesels 5th March 2010 20:56

It was yellow & 400 quid who could resist that?:D

flyer_phil 5th March 2010 21:26

Well its Waltons 'Crown Imperial' and Elgars 'Pomp and Circumstance march' and the sound of a spitfire flying overhead. Cricket, the sound of leather on willow, pints of bitter ....

:smilie_re: Its who we are, this sceptred isle, this 75, this england ....

Its constantly having to think whats next ... will it be the fuel pump, the maf, the pcv.

The challenge of the thermostat ... the icy hand of fear of a hgf on the 1.8

The wizardry of getting at the clutch ...

These arn't ordinary cars. They require dedication and enthusiasm and the wizardry of professor Jules. All these things

... and finally the chrome and the beauty of the moonstone green, which as everyone knows is the best colour of them all

GERFIX 6th March 2010 05:42

I had a crappy 1.2 Astra I wanted shot of. Saw a gleaming black 216 Vitesse on a forecourt and went for it. Had a couple of electronic issues to start with but the garage sorted them on warranty. I really liked that car!:D

pab 6th March 2010 05:51

my first rover was a SD1 back in the late 80's..

rovers have always been in the family.

GERFIX 6th March 2010 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 480645)
my first rover was a SD1 back in the late 80's..

rovers have always been in the family.

I used to get a lift to work from a guy with an SD1 when I was an apprentice joiner. I seem to remember sitting awestruck by the sheer grandeur inside that motor.

My dad had BL motors from the mid eighties starting with a Morris Ital, moving through a couple of Maestros and on to the "new" 200 series when it first appeared in 1990. I remember getting admiring looks from the public when driving past in his brand new, just out the box Diamond(?) White 214Si.:D

Ah, fond memories.

fse73549 6th March 2010 08:50

Learned to drive in a Metro and it started from there.
1 Metro
3 maestros (2 petrol and 1 Turbo Diesel)
1 Rover 220D
1 Rover 25
and now the best of the lot a 75 tourer.

I have always liked the feel of Rover built cars tried others but none have ever been as good as a Rover.

They are cars built by the British for the British. Lets hope the plans for the MG6 can bring some of that back!!!

grivas 6th March 2010 14:36

It was 1990 and was looking for a replacement to my Fiesta, and after a little searching I set my heart on a Citroen ZX. On the way to the dealer me and my wife were psssing by a Rover dealership, and on the forcourt were rows of gleaming red Rover 214 and 216 so we thought why not go and have a look.
After 5 minutes sitting inside a 214Si, we just wanted one, so we got it, a wonderful car, after 2 years we replaced it with a 216SLi ( Honda engine 16v single cam, 116bhp, best car in its class by miles, after 2 years replaced it with a 420GSi Sport, very good but leaked a little oil, replaced after 6 years with a superb 618Si with all toys, again superb car, then so the 75, and just wanted a Tourer, got one, love it to bits...

calibrax 6th March 2010 15:10

I was looking around for something to replace my Cavalier 1.8 and I'd never considered a Rover before. Was actually looking for a Calibra... then I read somewhere about a 200bhp Rover... the 620ti. Found that they were similar in price to the Calibra 2.5V6, but more powerful.

What finally clinched it was a call to my insurance co, who would only insure the Calibra if it had a Thatcham Cat 1 fitted. And the cost for the insurance was double that of the Rover!

So I went looking and found a fabulous car for sale at around £1400.... my Rover 620ti. The first car I've ever had the urge to modify. And I've only owned Rovers and MGs since!

http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/carinfield960.jpg
http://www.calibrax.myby.co.uk/enginedec2006.jpg