The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   K&N filters? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283393)

Dawn 13th May 2018 18:05

K&N filters?

I'm just curious about the ordinary style K&N filters that just replace the airbox ones. Does anyone use them? Do they make any difference, or is it just because its a replace once, not multiple times thing?

vacuman 13th May 2018 18:10

My V6 has one. IMO the only difference it makes is it means I don't pay for a new filter every service. I didn't buy it, it came with the car.

Anyone who thinks that their OEM or service part filter is stealing BHP, take it out and go for a blast. If you can tell the difference between with and without then put in a K&N. If not, save your pennies and put the old one back.

Lordy 13th May 2018 18:20

Only problem is your not going too feel the difference as the power produced is such a small increase or decease you won't feel it on the road, but they do sound good that's why I bought for my V6 motor just for the induction noise. :D

Dawn 13th May 2018 18:22

I don't mean those big horn looking thing, induction kits, though, I mean the ones that look standard, but are red? Surely they don't sound different?

mininuts 13th May 2018 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 2629897)
I don't mean those big horn looking thing, induction kits, though, I mean the ones that look standard, but are red? Surely they don't sound different?

Had one on my diesel for six years now Dawn and I can honestly say it's made no difference at all. It's a direct replacement for the original so no silly noises :D
The only positive thing, like said, is that I've not had to buy an air filter for six years so, it's probably just paid for itself :}
The cleaning kits can be had for around £10 off eBay etc.

I think, when combined with multiple tuning modifications, you'd get the full benefit from them, otherwise, stick with a standard filter ;)

You do a couple of nice stickers with them though :D

suzublu 13th May 2018 19:50

I've got a panel filter with the oil & cleaning stuff, never used it:shrug: Still in the box;) Prefer my cone:cool:

Sheraton 14th May 2018 00:15

:cool: I can hear my car breathe more with the K&n panel filter - this suggests to me there is less restriction :shrug: can only be a Good thing ;)

and i'm sure at least on the 1.8's there is no real chance of oil from the filter contaminating any sensors ;)

Paul.

MGjim 14th May 2018 07:07

I have a K&N panel filter in my ZT-T, (1.8 turbo), replaced it at the same time as the Shannon tube which had completely disintegrated, can hear more induction noise but can't say whether it improves fuel economy, I tend to drive a little harder to hear the "slurp" :D Having said that I got 38.7 mpg shown on the message center, on the trip to and from the National meeting.

Lord of Hog 14th May 2018 07:32

I've got a K&N on my 2.5. I did a bit of fiddling around with the various intakes when I fitted it and the car does sound and feel a bit happier. Can't say if it's down to the filter alone, but at least I don't have to worry about changing it.

Terryf 14th May 2018 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of Hog (Post 2630030)
I've got a K&N on my 2.5. I did a bit of fiddling around with the various intakes when I fitted it and the car does sound and feel a bit happier. Can't say if it's down to the filter alone, but at least I don't have to worry about changing it.

But how often do you need to clean it?