The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cruise Control "Resume" button not working (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=320328)

Garethsd1 1st August 2022 12:30

Cruise Control "Resume" button not working

Hello everyone,

I have an Automatic 75 that's had little use since Boris told us all to stay at home.

The cruise control works absolutely fine, but the RES button has now suddenly stopped working. To "slow down", if I'm catching up with the car in front, I now need to dab the brakes to dis-engage the cruise. Likewise, to return to cruise mode, I need to press the SET button and then tap a few times to build up former speed, rather than use RES to return back to the speed I was doing a few moments earlier.

Is the RES button fused, or is there a brake pedal switch I need to check at all? As I say, the system is otherwise working fine.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lee T 1st August 2022 12:56

Resume is the function that requires T4 after a retrofit I believe. So the first thing you could try is a 30min battery reset, or the often successful Scandinavian reset.
Remove both neg and pos battery leads, then away from the battery hold the leads together for 30 seconds to a minute. Wait half hour before reconnecting. Has solved many odd issues and is free. Good luck.

Garethsd1 1st August 2022 13:03

The cruise is original factory fit (Connie SE). I'll disconnect the battery now, leave it overnight and take it for a test spin in the morning.

The "Scandinavian Reset" is a new one on me..!

ceetdm 1st August 2022 19:02

Of course it could just be the RES button contacts have become tarnished, I don't know how easy it is to get in with some switch cleaner?

roverbarmy 1st August 2022 19:25

Spray contact cleaner into and around the switch ( a plastic straw attachment helps if it has one) and move the switch up and down several times(maybe quite a lot actually!). I've done this several times on various vehicles and it has worked (sometimes after waiting overnight). I don't know if you are a smoker but cigarette ash kills switch contacts.;)

Garethsd1 3rd August 2022 10:30

The battery reset hasn't worked (I'm not going to do the "Scandanavian Reset" as I also have an LPG system and I've no idea whether that would clear the LPG ECU or not)

I think I have some electrical contact cleaner somewhere. I'll have a rummage and report back.

Number 6 3rd August 2022 18:59

To "slow down", if I'm catching up with the car in front, I now need to dab the brakes to dis-engage the cruise.

Surely this has all ways been the case???

Dorchester2 3rd August 2022 19:06

Two means of stopping the cruise control: either braking or switching off the resume button. Both are still working fine in my V6.

Garethsd1 4th August 2022 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorchester2 (Post 2941450)
Both are still working fine in my V6.

I hope to say ditto soon! :}

Mike Noc 4th August 2022 11:14

Have exactly the same symptoms on Mrs Noc's 75. Not a priority as she doesn't use it but it would appear to be either the Resume switch or wiring to same.