The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Unusual problem on Tourer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=286794)

operamagorum 8th August 2018 18:17

Unusual problem on Tourer

Hi all
Recently my Spigot ball on the gas strut sheared off completely and fell, with a chunk of bodywork, behind the panel and wing.
I was stuck at the local park, with dogs already in the car. Tried to tuck the gas strut in to get the tailgate shut. Big mistake! It popped out and damaged the paintwork on the roof. Should have removed the strut completely.
Went to my local garage and the cheapest solution is to leave the original behind the panel and weld on a new fabricated piece with captive nut.
Bought a new spigot ball from Rimmers (at extortionate p&p) and, hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow. Bought new gas struts.
Obviously a stress fracture. There is a small hole which is, I believe, a spot weld from the factory. I checked the other side and there are two. I only mention this because it may turn out to be a common fault and you might wish to check yours for hairline fractures.
I've tried to upload pics, without success, but if anyone requires them I'll happily email.

Cheers
Geoff

Gino 8th August 2018 18:29

I've had to have both mine welded up. I got the o/s done a while back before it caused any damage. I should have had the other side done at the same time, but didn't :duh:
That went last year taking the light unit out at the same time

trikey 8th August 2018 20:23

It is more common than you think, the only bonus of having weak struts is that it wont cause the fracturing!

operamagorum 8th August 2018 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2658191)
It is more common than you think, the only bonus of having weak struts is that it wont cause the fracturing!

So would you advise having all four points welded at the same time?

Captain Crappycrimp 8th August 2018 20:42

Ive had it on a couple of tourers/ZTTs as well.

Phil-Hex 9th August 2018 13:33

my previous tourer had had both sides welded previously

operamagorum 9th August 2018 13:55

Just got the car back and they have done an amazing job. Just needs a bit of paint and all sorted. They were extremely careful not to over-spray the underseal, so all is hidden beneath the tailgate.

The workshop manager made a point of coming out to the car with me to show me the repair and also to explain about the struts.
Mine had probably been on the car from new (52 plate), and were sort of working in reverse. By this I mean that they needed assistance to lift the tailgate and, from about halfway would drop with a clunk. The new ones don't - the tailgate rises by itself and needs assistance to shut.
He believes that knackered struts caused my problem.
The new struts are great (and cheap) from flea bay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-New-R....c100505.m3226
Cheers
Geoff

Briodyjl01 9th August 2018 15:17

what am i best looking for so this doesnt happen?

operamagorum 9th August 2018 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 (Post 2658388)

You will need a magnifying glass to check for hairline cracks, If you look above and beneath the spigot, you will see two small factory spot welds which failed on mine. There is a difference of opinion on failure reason - my local garage feels that older, weakened struts are the problem. Trikey seems to feel the opposite.

Either way, it's worth checking them.
If you pm me your email, I'll send over a couple of photos
Cheers
Geoff

operamagorum 9th August 2018 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 (Post 2658388)

Sorry, forgot to mention............
Older struts tend to rust up at the spigot point, causing more resistance, so worth whipping off your struts and greasing the spigots