The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Opening the bonnet (from outside) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305905)

Scimdaz 24th June 2020 17:26

Opening the bonnet (from outside)

In scouring threads to find a possible solution to being locked out of my car (2002 Tourer) I have found a couple of mysterious mentions to methods to open the bonnet. The cable isn't snapped, I just can't get in to pull the release. I want to take the battery off to charge it up as I think / hope this is why the central locking isn't working (separate plea posted earlier). Can you pull the bonnet release cable (or some other method) from outside a locked 75?

sewerman 24th June 2020 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimdaz (Post 2820844)
In scouring threads to find a possible solution to being locked out of my car (2002 Tourer) I have found a couple of mysterious mentions to methods to open the bonnet. The cable isn't snapped, I just can't get in to pull the release. I want to take the battery off to charge it up as I think / hope this is why the central locking isn't working (separate plea posted earlier). Can you pull the bonnet release cable (or some other method) from outside a locked 75?

Will it not open with the key ? This should open the driver's door

Scott

Scimdaz 24th June 2020 17:35

No the key has always just turned in the barrel, with no resistance, ever since I've had the car. Never been an issue - while the c/locking worked of course.

suzublu 24th June 2020 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimdaz (Post 2820844)

The information is available in the "subscribers forum" so if you subscribe, you can read it;):cool:

rab60bit 24th June 2020 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewerman (Post 2820847)
Will it not open with the key ? This should open the driver's door

Scott

2002? - not sure about earlier cars with the release lever secreted in the front grill but if the release lever is in the driver footwell and it feels 'sloppy' then the bonnet latches (there are two of them fixed to the underside of the slam panel) are probably partially siezed.
First off, you can try some WD40 with a flexi tube and by locating both latches (with a torch via the gap between the bonnet front edge and the grill) give each one a good dose around the area where the bonnet latch pins enter the latch mechanism - don't be mean with the magic stuff. Give it a few minutes to penitrate and then get an assistant to gently depress the bonnet (you'll find it will give, anything up to 1mm or more, as the tension load is taken off the pins) and give the lever a toggle whilst they do it - if your lucky it might just get enough freedom to unlatch.
Failing the above, pay your sub and get some more (confidential) expert advice how to break into your car.
The latch in the grill models should give you the same chances but I'm just not sure.

Scimdaz 24th June 2020 18:05

Thank you Suzublu. Subscribed - I can see a bit of internal cavity inspecting on the horizon. Would be easier if my boroscope wasn't one of the things locked inside the car.

Scimdaz 24th June 2020 18:10

Paid my subs, gonna read the cloak and dagger stuff Rab. The bonnet is a sideshow in a way. I'm locked out of the car. Seeing as I've had an issue with battery drain in the past I'm thinking that the c/locking isn't working because of a flat battery (changed fob battery, red LED is working). I want to open the bonnet without access to the footwell bonnet pull in order to get to the battery.

suzublu 24th June 2020 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimdaz (Post 2820864)
Paid my subs, gonna read the cloak and dagger stuff Rab. The bonnet is a sideshow in a way. I'm locked out of the car. Seeing as I've had an issue with battery drain in the past I'm thinking that the c/locking isn't working because of a flat battery (changed fob battery, red LED is working). I want to open the bonnet without access to the footwell bonnet pull in order to get to the battery.

Battery drain could be linked to several things, including sat-nav in the boot. Now you've subscribed, all of the "How To" info is also available:bowdown:

rab60bit 24th June 2020 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimdaz (Post 2820864)

OK, should read posts without bias ('cos I've just gone through a stuck bonnet issue myself :mad:)
If your car has a boot lock key/latch (rather than the footwell release) then maybe gain access via the boot. Otherwise it's open the bonnet by any means and charge the battery to activate the central locking

BRG75 24th June 2020 18:55

with reference to the early cars, with a lever that comes out between the radiator slats: this simply releases the safety catch, as per whatever slide lever that the later cars have between the bonnet and slam panel.

The main catches are operated in exactly the same way, with a single cable from the footwell lever, via an inner wing mounted block, operating two cables; one for for each of the two independant catches.

Mike