The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   twice pull lock system ?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308409)

vacuman 6th October 2020 13:36

twice pull lock system ??

I've always had a slight problem with my drivers door handle in that it needed a double pull to open it. I've always assumed it was a fault and, with some free time available, I started looking for how-to's to remove the door card.

Unfortunately the how-to's on here have lost all their pictures but I did spot something about the twice pull lock system to get out if the doors have been locked.

I doubt these things are connected but thought worth asking the collective if my driver's door handle problem is a known thing plus any revised door card removal threads i could be pointed to??

kelvo 6th October 2020 13:39

If I remember correctly, if you have the door locked, the first pull unlocks it (the button pops up) the second pull then actually opens it. Presume it applies to the other doors as well but never had need to find out.

vitesse 6th October 2020 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacuman (Post 2840846)
I've always had a slight problem with my drivers door handle in that it needed a double pull to open it. I've always assumed it was a fault and, with some free time available, I started looking for how-to's to remove the door card.

Unfortunately the how-to's on here have lost all their pictures but I did spot something about the twice pull lock system to get out if the doors have been locked.

I doubt these things are connected but thought worth asking the collective if my driver's door handle problem is a known thing plus any revised door card removal threads i could be pointed to??

Not sure about the front doors but when my rear door was playing up I had to adjust and cable tie the threaded white clip in place.

You haven't got speed locking enabled, have you?

Regards

BRG75 6th October 2020 14:19

I do not think that it's a fault.

There is a dealer option were all the cars doors lock automatically, over 5 mph (or so)
I think it's called anti hijack, or similar.

It can be disabled, with the Rover T4 diagnostic software.

Regards

Mike

Rick-sta 6th October 2020 15:42

if you have speed locking enabled where the doors automatically lock when you drive over 5mph then you will have to pull the door handle twice to open the door. The first pull releases the door lock pin (the pin at the top of the door card that pops down when the door is locked) and then the second pull of the door handle opens the door. This will be the case for all four doors.

or if you're pressing the door lock button in the center console or manually pushing the lock pin at the top of the door card down then the same applies when opening the door via the handle.

steve-45 6th October 2020 16:36

I had my speed locking disabled at a Nano meeting. The problem I found was that passengers did not understand that you had to pull the interior door handle twice to open the door.
They would just keep pulling and pulling because the door would not open, I feared that the mechanism would be damaged by such action hence my decision to have speed locking disabled.

picky747 7th October 2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2840868)
I had my speed locking disabled at a Nano meeting. The problem I found was that passengers did not understand that you had to pull the interior door handle twice to open the door.
They would just keep pulling and pulling because the door would not open, I feared that the mechanism would be damaged by such action hence my decision to have speed locking disabled.

If I have passengers I just tap the lock button by the handbrake as I pull up, no more dramas.

SKS Disco 7th October 2020 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by vacuman (Post 2840846)

As has been said by others, 99% chance you have speed locking enabled.
My ZTT did and the grandkids would haul on it and even popped the chrome door handle surround off ! Think they distorted the door card to be honest.
Their excuse was " it just fell off" . Yeah, right!!:getmecoat:
What, on both rear doors? :duh:

Needs a T4 to disable it .

vacuman 7th October 2020 20:19

Thanks for the responses fellas. I obviously wasn't very clear as my problem is the outside handle on my drivers door. Once unlocked by key or fob I generally have to double-pull the handle to get the door open. Sort of bumping the mechanism perhaps to reach the point of release.

Clearly, this isn't right and it should be like the passenger side and a simple pull on the handle should pop the door. Just reluctant to go to the aggravation of broken clips and damaged membranes to attempt a fix whilst it's not yet actually broken.

The car is about as young as a ZTT can be and only 66k so I'm thinking that if this is a design fault then others might have had similar long before now but the internal double-pull thing was all I could find, hence my probably confusing reference.

vitesse 7th October 2020 20:43

OK perhaps this post from Stocktake will help:https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...35&postcount=7

Regards