The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2.5 v6 exhaust removal (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300734)

thanos.m 11th November 2019 12:27

2.5 v6 exhaust removal

Hi everyone,
My old 75 still has the original Rover exhaust system and I want to fit it to my new one because it has nasty sounding aftermarket one. So far I've removed the front manifold but I'm baffled as to how are you supposed to remove the rear one the car is on axle stands and the front end is missing I thought there would be access underneath the car but I could barely get to one of the nuts additionally the Haynes manual isn't much help either since it shows you how to remove the manifolds with engine out of the car :duh: .
Kind Regards,
Thanos

SD1too 11th November 2019 16:22

For both exhaust manifolds RAVE says:
  1. Release exhaust pipe from front rubber mountings.
  2. Remove two bolts securing exhaust pipe to front support bracket.
  3. Remove four nuts securing front pipe flanges to exhaust manifolds. Release front pipe from flanges and move aside.

Next it says that the four nuts securing each manifold to its cylinder head can be removed.

Is that any help? Workshop manuals rarely give advice on how to reach inaccessible fasteners. I'm afraid that it's up to you to devise a method which might involve buying an appropriate tool.

Simon

thanos.m 11th November 2019 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2775004)
  3. Remove four nuts securing front pipe flanges to exhaust manifolds. Release front pipe from flanges and move aside.

Next it says that the four nuts securing each manifold to its cylinder head can be removed.

Is that any help? Workshop manuals rarely give advice on how to reach inaccessible fasteners. I'm afraid that it's up to you to devise a method which might involve buying an appropriate tool.

Simon

I managed to remove it took the rest of the exhaust out first and left the rear manifold at last then I used 2 extensions on my ratchet and flexy bit in the end to get to the bolts and after a lot of wd40 swearing and struggling they came off. for anyone attempting this an impact gun would be very useful also applying some heat.

SD1too 11th November 2019 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanos.m (Post 2775011)
... after a lot of wd40 swearing and struggling they came off.

Well done. Exhausts are always a struggle. When reassembling and after cleaning them up, if you smear the nut and bolt threads with Copper Ease (or equivalent), the next time you need to remove them they will release with ease. :D

Simon

Blink 27th November 2019 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2775004)

Simon

Why remove the manifolds? Surely the cat section will come off just by undoing the four flange nuts (#3 above). The two nuts holding the front flange are easily accessible but the two on the rear flange aren't. In fact one of them isn't even visible, unless it's just hiding under the heatshield?

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...bd760e1630.jpg

stocktake 27th November 2019 14:58

I have to confess, My car was up in the air on axle stands and when I undid the cross members and the exhaust fixings the flexi on the exhaust allowed the exhaust to drop and I got mine in about 20 seconds with an angle grinder and a new cutting blade :)

Blink 27th November 2019 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2778351)
I have to confess, My car was up in the air on axle stands and when I undid the cross members and the exhaust fixings the flexi on the exhaust allowed the exhaust to drop and I got mine in about 20 seconds with an angle grinder and a new cutting blade :)

The idea behind undoing the 4 flange nuts and lowering the cat & intermediate sections in one piece was to line the new system up alongside the old one - then measure the exact cutting point behind the cat. I don't want to use the angle grinder in situ because I know I'll never get a straight cut - I'm useless with angle grinders.

If I could get the flange nuts off it would be easy. Now it's ****** well raining again. :mad: