The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   E10 fuel OK or not? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313789)

Wicksie 28th June 2021 09:01

E10 fuel OK or not?

I just read the Government website for E10 intro - it gives no info on any Rover models.
E10, in case you didn't know folks, will be introduced into the UK this September.
Anybody know for sure if our cars will tolerate this juice or will we have to use an additive or super which I understand will stay at E5 ?

torque2me 28th June 2021 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicksie (Post 2888649)
I just read the Government website for E10 intro - it gives no info on any Rover models.
E10, in case you didn't know folks, will be introduced into the UK this September.
Anybody know for sure if our cars will tolerate this juice or will we have to use an additive or super which I understand will stay at E5 ?

There was a very recent thread on this subject a week or so ago!

Kev

stevestrat 28th June 2021 09:10

There have been several threads on the subject. This is the most recent.

SD1too 28th June 2021 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicksie (Post 2888649)
Anybody know for sure if our cars will tolerate this juice ...

The short answer David is that all engines fitted to Land Rover vehicles from 1996 onwards are said to be compatible with E10 petrol. That includes the 1.8 K series and the KV6.

Simon

chris75 28th June 2021 11:39

Good news about the engines :} But , as said before , any problems with the fuel tank and the gubbins inside it , and also the pipes going to the engine ?:shrug:

T-Cut 28th June 2021 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2888681)
Good news about the engines :} But , as said before , any problems with the fuel tank and the gubbins inside it , and also the pipes going to the engine ?:shrug:

The E5 grade will remain available from most major outlets, so stick with that. If you run low somewhere and can only get E10, a couple of gallons of that isn't going to compromise anything. It will get you to an E5 outlet. If mileage is important to you, I suspect the E10 will reduce the long term average MPG because ethanol is less energetic than petroleum.

I'll stick with the E5.
TC

SD1too 28th June 2021 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2888681)
But , as said before , any problems with the fuel tank and the gubbins inside it , and also the pipes going to the engine ?

Hi Chris,

Do you think they're any different from those in the majority of vehicles on the approved list?

We've been running our cars on 5% ethanol for years now with no discernible effect. Why is 10% allegedly going to be damaging when 5% isn't?

What all this is about is frightening people to scrap their "old" cars and buy a hybrid or electric vehicle instead.

Simon

egremont 28th June 2021 13:24

Does the Fuel Type need changing in the ZCS code?

Should you change your cars “SA” coding (part of the ZCS code) from its present setting, (in my cars case “Ron 95”) to the “Ethanol” setting?
I presume the “Unleaded” setting should remain as part of the fuel string.

chris75 28th June 2021 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2888692)
Hi Chris,

Do you think they're any different from those in the majority of vehicles on the approved list?

Simon

With my usual luck , .......... :getmecoat:
Fair comment , though ! :}

Wicksie 28th June 2021 14:45

E10 fuel

Thanks for the replies - I have digested the recent posts now and come to the conclusion that all is well.
The engines and fuel system will operate perfectly well with E10, based on a members experience in France. This and given the fact that Land Rover officially clear identical engines for use with E10, gives me the confidence to just soldier on.
I remember the doom laden warnings about unleaded when it first came out along with similar horrors predicted about the effects of 5% ethanol on fuel systems. That proved a damp squib too, ran three different MGBs and a Princess HLS on unleaded for tens of thousands of miles without a problem.
Replaced the SU needle valves for items with neoprene tips during basic maintenance but nothing else and they all ran sweetly.
Dave