The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Autodim mirror and rain sensor (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=279977)

frankgoldstar 27th February 2018 18:43

Autodim mirror and rain sensor

Dear All,

just looking for a bit of advice from all you gurus out there.

I have two 75's at the moment and want to swap the autodim and rain sensor off my old 52 connie SE on to the newer 54 reg connie, which has different option bits fitted.

I have seen the various very helpful posts, but failed on the first bit, getting the autodim mirror assembly off.

Mind, it was in the dark, so I could not see the screws which hold the cowling on.

Are there any decent photos on the forum that might help?

Also, if I try to get the rain sensors working do I need the wiper stalk off the old 75?

My reading of the advice on the forum was that the T4 needs to be used to tell the BCU that a rain sensor was fitted and this changed the operation of the standard stalk.

Does anybody know if this is correct, or am I as wrong as I usually find myself to be?

Best to ask first, unlike the last time when the good people on this forum pulled me out of the hole I was engaged in excavating!

Best wishes to all, Frank B

macafee2 27th February 2018 19:23

at the two side edges pressed home are two clips that pull out, you can then remove the sensor electronics. The bit stuck to the screen is stuck like ? to a blanket and is quite hard to remove.

I seem to recall asking about rain sensing and you lose I think some of the functionality of the wipers as they are now. Possibly the auto stop when you stop.

macafee2

Devilish 27th February 2018 19:33

You going to cut a hole in the screen trim for the sensor.

I watched one being done, and the ECU had to be taken out, wether it was swapped or not I cant remember.

HarryM1BYT 27th February 2018 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2600433)
I seem to recall asking about rain sensing and you lose I think some of the functionality of the wipers as they are now. Possibly the auto stop when you stop.

macafee2

I don't know about that, but you do lose the wipe delay - it becomes the auto wipe sensitivity adjustment.

macafee2 27th February 2018 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2600446)
I don't know about that, but you do lose the wipe delay - it becomes the auto wipe sensitivity adjustment.

may be that's what's lost, knew it was something. what ever function is lost put me off fitting rain sensing

macafee2

Canonite 28th February 2018 07:34

I wrote a How To in the relevant section detailing how to retrofit the rain sensing wipers into a car with a standard windscreen.
Basically, once it has been enabled by T4 after fitting everything, you need to move the wiper stalk up on click to the intermittent setting. The car will then use the ECU for its information on triggering the wipe function and the frequency.

roverbarmy 28th February 2018 07:56

I retrofitted rain sensor wipers but to be honest, wish I hadn't bothered. In some situations it is at best, hit and miss (no pun intended) and prefer to do a manual wipe. Auto dimming mirror on the other hand, is fantastic and I'm going to need another one for my Cowley car.:shrug:

frankgoldstar 3rd March 2018 12:05

Thanks to all reponders

Thanks for the advice. I did read one proc on the autodim/rain sensor swap and many related posts.

However, I shot myself in the foot by thinking it looked so simple I could remove the mirror in the dark with a torch in my mouth. Wrong.

I will have another look in the light today, but, as usual, I have to do prep work for a business trip tomorrow, so time is short.

I will report back if I find anything of value to relate.

Best wishes, Frank

marinabrian 3rd March 2018 14:45

A windscreen swap is required, anyone saying you can remove the prism from the original screen and fit it to a non RSW successfully, is talking out of their hat ;)

A ZCS coding change is required, and a bit of extra wiring from the (hopefully) fully populated plug at the base of the A pillar, I have done this on my old man's car as a broken windscreen was replaced with a rain sensor version ;)

My advice is not to bother, one of my cars has rain sensing wipers, three do not, and I find the two rain sensors placed either side of my nose more than adequate to know when wipers are required ;)

Brian :D

macafee2 3rd March 2018 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2602205)
A windscreen swap is required, anyone saying you can remove the prism from the original screen and fit it to a non RSW successfully, is talking out of their hat ;)

A ZCS coding change is required, and a bit of extra wiring from the (hopefully) fully populated plug at the base of the A pillar, I have done this on my old man's car as a broken windscreen was replaced with a rain sensor version ;)

My advice is not to bother, one of my cars has rain sensing wipers, three do not, and I find the two rain sensors placed either side of my nose more than adequate to know when wipers are required ;)

Brian :D

I beg to differ Brian, you can remove the prism but it is s devils own job to do. First attempt did damage the windscreen but second attempt was successful. Having everything bar the sticky pad to stick prism to windscreen and having got advice from the forum, have decided not to bother to fit it. This is due to losing one of the current functions of the wipers

macafee2