The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Drop links ... Delphi? Think again .. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301198)

Vossy 1st December 2019 10:23

Drop links ... Delphi? Think again ..

I had my car on the ramp yesterday to check out another rattling under the front end and yet another drop link failure :mad:

This is the third time in 19 months and 6k miles I have replaced the same one, each time I have used genuine Delphi and checked with the seller before hand if they are the genuine items, each time the seller has replaced without question but that's not the point.

I always inject grease under the rubbers before fitting so grease isn't the issue.

This time I think I am going for the DMGRS ones with a 4 year warranty.

Also discovered both back shocks are weeping so I don't suppose that's too bad after 16 years for originals.

roverbarmy 1st December 2019 11:32

Some greases are incompatible with some plastics (as used in ball and socket joints)!:shrug:
https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...nd-more-part-2

marinabrian 1st December 2019 11:54

Am I completely alone in drop link luck? I've managed almost 100k and five years, having paid an astronomical £13 delivered for the pair :getmecoat:

I took the boots off, and articulated CV grease into the joint, refitted and then forgot about them.

This was an experiment, nothing more ;)

Brian :D

Vossy 1st December 2019 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2779108)
Some greases are incompatible with some plastics (as used in ball and socket joints)!:shrug:
https://www.machinedesign.com/mechan...nd-more-part-2

I should have said I used CV grease too :}

Vossy 1st December 2019 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2779114)
Am I completely alone in drop link luck? I've managed almost 100k and five years, having paid an astronomical £13 delivered for the pair :getmecoat:

I took the boots off, and articulated CV grease into the joint, refitted and then forgot about them.

You are the chosen one Brian :bowdown:

Heddy 1st December 2019 14:45

Just fitted a pair from DMGRS, 4 yrs warranty 35 quid. The ones on my last 75 were the same and were still fine when I scrapped it and they were 3 yrs old.

Vossy 1st December 2019 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heddy (Post 2779141)
Just fitted a pair from DMGRS, 4 yrs warranty 35 quid. The ones on my last 75 were the same and were still fine when I scrapped it and they were 3 yrs old.

Ordered now, and some back shocks too. :xmas-smiley-008:

Robson Rover Repair 1st December 2019 19:07

I always fit the absolute cheapest drop links and so far I've never had a set last less than 2 years across half a dozen 75 and zts. Pot luck at times.

Odd Job 2nd December 2019 10:01

Quote:

Can you remember what make they were? I want some!!

Arctic 2nd December 2019 10:42

Quote:

Quote:

Brian you are not alone I think we fitted the same drop links back in 2014 if I remember on another drop link thread, i have since fitted others with decent success, Unipart, D2P,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230929339398

Comfortably Numb 2nd December 2019 22:42

I reckon the drop links are a really unnecessary and stupid piece of design. Why the ends of the ARB couldn't be bolted to the lower arms, sandwiched between 2 rubber doughnuts, I don't know. Never had this problem on my old Peugeots!

marinabrian 3rd December 2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb (Post 2779475)
I reckon the drop links are a really unnecessary and stupid piece of design. Why the ends of the ARB couldn't be bolted to the lower arms, sandwiched between 2 rubber doughnuts, I don't know. Never had this problem on my old Peugeots!

Yes, I had a 405 estate as a company car some 20+ years ago, and I not once had to do anything but put fuel in and blow the tyres up from time to time :getmecoat:

Anyway back to reality, I'm going to present the ZT for test tomorrow, and most unlike me, I've not spent any time checking it over, not washed it.........nowt.

I may take it to a drive through car wash on the way, just so the muddy salty crud covering most everything in sight is washed off.

If it fails, it's got 25 days left to live, and after that time I'm going to take it and have it crushed into a cube, and take delight in never having to buy substandard components ever again.

I'll let the OP have my drop links if it helps, after all they don't rattle and have a mere 100,000 miles plus fitted to the car :icon_rolleyes:

Devilish 3rd December 2019 19:50

I cannot help but wonder how a DMGRS drop link, is going to cure what has caused your suspension to trash 3 Delphi drop links on the same side in 19 months, and 6k. Never heard of anyone else replacing Delphi drop links every 2k or 6 months.

pletevl 4th December 2019 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2779603)
Yes, I had a 405 estate as a company car some 20+ years ago, and I not once had to do anything but put fuel in and blow the tyres up from time to time :getmecoat:

Anyway back to reality, I'm going to present the ZT for test tomorrow, and most unlike me, I've not spent any time checking it over, not washed it.........nowt.

I may take it to a drive through car wash on the way, just so the muddy salty crud covering most everything in sight is washed off.

If it fails, it's got 25 days left to live, and after that time I'm going to take it and have it crushed into a cube, and take delight in never having to buy substandard components ever again.

I'll let the OP have my drop links if it helps, after all they don't rattle and have a mere 100,000 miles plus fitted to the car :icon_rolleyes:

Brian, do you really hate them that much ? what don't you like ?

Pete

Vossy 4th December 2019 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2779603)

Thank you Brian, hang on to them for 4 years while the DMGRS warranty is in place :icon_lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilish (Post 2779631)
I cannot help but wonder how a DMGRS drop link, is going to cure what has caused your suspension to trash 3 Delphi drop links on the same side in 19 months, and 6k. Never heard of anyone else replacing Delphi drop links every 2k or 6 months.

God knows why, I don't live on a farm or have to drive on especially bad roads, well no more than anyone else I suppose. I think a change might be good and the warranty offered by DMGRS can't be beaten. The front suspension was replaced including springs earlier this year so nothing else has wear in it.
When I contact the seller they just send me another one, they don't even ask what or why and don't want the old ones back so I'm guessing its more common than we know with them or its just too much trouble to process, I have always trusted Delphi, I have Delphi rear ones fitted too without issue, I am assured that they are genuine and they come from a reputable garage/seller.

Oh yeah, also has new ARB bushes fitted last spring.

Here's hoping for the DMGRS ones.