The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Not using the car for a few months (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293095)

Raspberrycai 19th February 2019 10:53

Not using the car for a few months

I can't use my Rover until the end of April due to me having used all my insurance miles up, and i refuse to buy any more additional miles (£1000 for an extra 2000 miles!) I've got 138 miles to last me until the end of April, so I think it's best that I just leave the car now and don't use it until my insurance is renewed.

Because it's going to be sitting for a decent period of time (Just over 2 months), is there anything I need to do to prepare the car to minimise any potential damage that leaving a car sitting for a bit can cause? Likewise, anything I need to do when i'm ready to drive again at the end of April?

Edit: Car has to stay on the driveway and is not garaged.

steve-45 19th February 2019 11:21

is it parked undercover on a hard-standing or grass?

I would use the few miles you have left on dry sunny days to take it for a 5 or 10 mile run to get the air circulating around it.

This is what I'm doing with mine as I have acquired a little run about for the winter.

MSS 19th February 2019 11:27

Do not put the handbrake on and put it on a maintenance charger.

See here. https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=292989

stevestrat 19th February 2019 11:28

Yep, no handbrake, leave it in gear. Main thing is the battery, if the car is garaged remove the battery and put it on a maintenance charger. I had a 75 that I didn't use for about 17 months, put a new battery in it, started first time and passed a MOT with very little work required.

P-Nut 19th February 2019 12:20

Surely you can get a whole new policy cheaper than that.

Also how do they know what mileage you started the year at?

marinabrian 19th February 2019 12:26

Post me your speedometer, and I'll increase your allowance :devil:

Brian :cool:

P-Nut 19th February 2019 12:28

Or remove the abs sensor! Nothing like life without ABS, it keeps you sharp!

(I'm kidding obviously)

macafee2 19th February 2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Nut (Post 2712784)
Or remove the abs sensor! Nothing like life without ABS, it keeps you sharp!

(I'm kidding obviously)

ABS, wheels never lock up so didn't know my car had ABS :D

macafee2

hortonds 19th February 2019 13:33

Check your insurance details.

Mine say that if you go over the mileage allowance you are still insured, but only for the legal minimum.

So ... I'm guessing that's 3rd party.

For me when I was shopping around, I TRIED to get 3rd party insurance but it was more expensive than comp *shrugs*

So for a car that I would get zero on if I wrote it off, what difference does it make?

Raspberrycai 19th February 2019 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Nut (Post 2712780)
Surely you can get a whole new policy cheaper than that.

Also how do they know what mileage you started the year at?

Unfortunately it's the cheapest I can get till April. I'm stuck with it too because I really need my first year of no claims discount and if I cancel or switch my insurance I'm fairly certain I don't get it. Without a year of no claims discount my insurance would be much more expensive at renewal.

The reason it's so high is because of my age (18) and because this is my first year of insurance since passing my test, so next year it will be a lot cheaper (Around £1300 for 7000 miles). Also, they know how many miles I've driven because I have a black box policy which tracks where my car is, including how many miles I've driven. I have an overwhelmingly negative opinion of black boxes, but without them insurance is over £1000 more.

Quote:

Check your insurance details.

Mine say that if you go over the mileage allowance you are still insured, but only for the legal minimum.

So ... I'm guessing that's 3rd party.

For me when I was shopping around, I TRIED to get 3rd party insurance but it was more expensive than comp *shrugs*

So for a car that I would get zero on if I wrote it off, what difference does it make?

unfortunately, my insurance company isn't so lenient...

Quote:

Before you run out of available miles you will be contacted by
us and offered one of the following options:
• you may purchase Top Up Miles for an additional
premium. The premium for Top Up Miles is based on your
current Driving Style Score.
• you may leave your car securely parked for the remainder
of the current period of insurance.
• you may cancel your policy. Please see the charges
and fees section of the website for the cancellation fee
applicable.
Your failure to agree to one of the options detailed above
will result in us cancelling the policy by giving you 7 days
notice at your last known address as soon as the amount of
available miles has been exhausted.
I think the best option of those 3 would be to leave it parked up.