The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oil syphon pump (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311300)

ardvark 25th February 2021 04:41

Oil syphon pump

I'm looking into getting one of these pumps to change the engine oil via the dip stick instead of the sump drain plug.
If any members have one of these pumps I'd love to hear your comments and tips on which to buy or not to buy.

alanaslan 25th February 2021 06:10

Great my reply has just vanished I find the one I have ok. Drop me a PM as I ended up with two of them and if I can find the second one you are welcome to it

Keep safe Alan

onceaknight 25th February 2021 07:53

I have the Lidl one. Thought it was slow to start with, however once it syphened to the pump it emptied within a minute or so. I'm very happy with the purchase. There are other garden type pressurised teams which are also good.

suzublu 25th February 2021 08:02

Pela pump for me, had it many years. Use it for an in between change once a year 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ceedy 25th February 2021 08:27

Use a Lidl one here too..

tourer 25th February 2021 11:42

Loved my Pela for years, too, but must admit it isn't that quick and takes a fair bit of pumping to keep the vacuum up.
Missed the Lidl ones. What sort of price were they and what's the problem with priming them?

FLYING BANANA 25th February 2021 13:32

I need one to change the supercharger oil on the Bear. The drain plug is inaccessible, so the oil has to come out the top. Can you get different size tubes?

T-Cut 25th February 2021 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2867479)
Can you get different size tubes?

In the Pela pump, the tube/probe that goes down the dipstick pipe is a spiral steel construction with a plastic outer. It's very much like a curtain rail thing. I'd expect other brands to use a similar idea, it needs to easily push through the pipe. I suspect all 75/ZT models use a similar bore dipstick pipe, so that dictates the diameter of the pump probe. In other words, they're all pretty small, maybe an eighth to three-sixteenth inch bore. Obviously engine oil won't flow through this like water. The vacuum pump versions can't deliver it as fast an electric pump would. Best used after a decent drive to warm it up

TC

FLYING BANANA 25th February 2021 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2867489)
In the Pela pump, the tube/probe that goes down the dipstick pipe is a spiral steel construction with a plastic outer. It's very much like a curtain rail thing. I'd expect other brands to use a similar idea, it needs to easily push through the pipe. I suspect all 75/ZT models use a similar bore dipstick pipe, so that dictates the diameter of the pump probe. In other words, they're all pretty small, maybe an eighth to three-sixteenth inch bore. Obviously engine oil won't flow through this like water. The vacuum pump versions can't deliver it as fast an electric pump would. Best used after a decent drive to warm it up

TC

Many thanks.

I need to read the post properly as it clearly states in the first post it goes down the dipstick tube.

bl52krz 25th February 2021 20:08

Just out of interest, has anyone used one of theses devices, pela or such like, and when finished, took the sump off, and seen how much oil and gunk is left in there?
Just interested because after draining the sump on my montego many years ago, I took the sump off and the sump was clean as a whistle, actually shiny.