The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rear parking sensors (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317146)

goltho 7th January 2022 22:21

Rear parking sensors

The rear sensors weren't working when I bought the car in October. Now I've straightened everything out that mattered, I'd like the sensors to work.

There is no clicking from any sensor. I disconnected the connector behind the bumper and cleaned & reconnected it but still nothing. I know at least one sensor is bust due to damage. Am I right in thinking that when reverse is selected, power should go to the module, and power should also go from the module to the sensors? If so, I'll test the car-side connector behind the bumper.

Second question. Is there a display on the IPK as well as a beeper when the sensors do work?

Dougie.

macafee2 7th January 2022 22:48

I dont think there is a display on the IPK. I can probably find another module you can try and see if that solves the problem. I'm perhaps a bit over 20 miles from you if you want to pop over

macafee2

Yorkshire GOC 7th January 2022 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915476)
The rear sensors weren't working when I bought the car in October. Now I've straightened everything out that mattered, I'd like the sensors to work.

There is no clicking from any sensor. I disconnected the connector behind the bumper and cleaned & reconnected it but still nothing. I know at least one sensor is bust due to damage. Am I right in thinking that when reverse is selected, power should go to the module, and power should also go from the module to the sensors? If so, I'll test the car-side connector behind the bumper.

Second question. Is there a display on the IPK as well as a beeper when the sensors do work?

Dougie.

In answer to your questions

1 - Yes - just check your reversing lights work - if not the reverse switch has failed and your sensors wont work

2 - There is no display on the IPK

3 -Yes when you select reverse there should be a ONE second beep to tell you all is OK

4. In my issues with the parking sensor it has been the connector that draws in the 4 sensor looms and channels them to the parking ECU as it is prone to water ingress

5 . Your parking ECM may have failed - but that is rare - black ECM on early models and white on later models not sure of the cutover date.

6. Check your sensors - select reverse and get someone to listen to them - if they are ticking then the sensor is fine - which would point to the connector or the ECM

7 . Finally in early car the reverse sounder is mounted at the back of the car
and they do fail -Rimmers have them - on later cars the sounder is incorporated in the IPK - if it has failed then the door open sounder wont work as well.

goltho 7th January 2022 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2915487)
I dont think there is a display on the IPK. I can probably find another module you can try and see if that solves the problem. I'm perhaps a bit over 20 miles from you if you want to pop over

Thanks.:} I near enough drove past your door on Wednesday en route to Listers at N-o-T. As Yorkshire GOC has confirmed there's no display to be had, I may actually fit an aftermarket set I've had lying about unused for ages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2915491)
1 - Yes - just check your reversing lights work - if not the reverse switch has failed and your sensors wont work
They work.

2 - There is no display on the IPK
Ta.

3 -Yes when you select reverse there should be a ONE second beep to tell you all is OK
Nope, nothing.

4. In my issues with the parking sensor it has been the connector that draws in the 4 sensor looms and channels them to the parking ECU as it is prone to water ingress
As above, I've checked & cleaned it although it still may be faulty.

5 . Your parking ECM may have failed - but that is rare - black ECM on early models and white on later models not sure of the cutover date.
Mine's black although I've not seen it yet. The cut-off was done on VINs.

6. Check your sensors - select reverse and get someone to listen to them - if they are ticking then the sensor is fine - which would point to the connector or the ECM
As above, no ticking.

7 . Finally in early car the reverse sounder is mounted at the back of the car
and they do fail -Rimmers have them - on later cars the sounder is incorporated in the IPK - if it has failed then the door open sounder wont work as well.
The sounder will be at the back in view of having the earlier module.

Thanks for all that.

goltho 7th January 2022 23:15

So going on from all that, should OEM sensors work with an aftermarket unit? They'll both obviously be 12V but other than that, I'm not au fait with what the sensors require in the way of signal. I'll check in the morning whether the (black) aftermarket sensors will fit in the existing holes; if so, and if they're technically usable, I can paint them to match.

Dougie.

billh 8th January 2022 10:13

Almost certainly the wiring loom between ECU and connector behind the rear bumper. The connector pins get corroded and the copper cable terminations oxidised within the connector.This causes volt drop to the sensors so won't work properly. No amount of cleaning cured mine. A replacement loom worked straight away. ECU was older black type and was fine.

macafee2 8th January 2022 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915494)
Thanks.:} I near enough drove past your door on Wednesday en route to Listers at N-o-T. As Yorkshire GOC has confirmed there's no display to be had, I may actually fit an aftermarket set I've had lying about unused for ages.

Listers, they are just 5 minutes down the road.

macafee2

goltho 8th January 2022 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by billh (Post 2915523)
Almost certainly the wiring loom between ECU and connector behind the rear bumper. The connector pins get corroded and the copper cable terminations oxidised within the connector.This causes volt drop to the sensors so won't work properly. No amount of cleaning cured mine. A replacement loom worked straight away. ECU was older black type and was fine.

Thanks. I've got the opportunity on Monday to get bits from a same-colour breaking car so I'll get both looms and the sensors. And maybe the module too if it's cheap enough. That should fix 'em. :} I'd rather fix the OE than fit aftermarket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2915524)
Listers, they are just 5 minutes down the road.

They are, you lucky person. I use only them for timber stuff.

Dougie.

hogweed 8th January 2022 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2915495)
So going on from all that, should OEM sensors work with an aftermarket unit?

To be honest, mate, no need to worry about it - if you buy a cheapo kit off eBay it'll come with sensors and everything. Think my entire kit cost £13!

Been working fine now for nearly 10 years...

suzublu 8th January 2022 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2915562)
To be honest, mate, no need to worry about it - if you buy a cheapo kit off eBay it'll come with sensors and everything. Think my entire kit cost £13!

Been working fine now for nearly 10 years...

And mine 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk