The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Car's Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310552)

suzublu 17th January 2021 15:12

Car's Dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, started the car the other day just to keep it ticking over as it were, all good.
Went out today to do the same and before starting, I noticed the fuel gauge needle was pointing to full:eek: That's before I'd put the key in. Something's not right I thought. Put the key in & turned to ignition on, as I always do, to let the instruments do their dance & nothing, just a battery light & alarm went off. Turned the car off then back on again, same thing. First thought flat battery, so I put the charger on for a couple of hours. Fully charged, but same thing. Didn't try starting, just took the battery off & took it inside for charging.
Now, before I put it back on again, any ideas where to look:shrug: TIA:bowdown:

Boltonboy 17th January 2021 15:24

hi

not saying it would be have you checked the plenum ecu might be flooded

stocktake 17th January 2021 15:27

This will sort it, but then you know that ;)

kelvo 17th January 2021 15:28

Knowing it seems to be a common theme with batteries on 75s/ZTs have you tried a good battery?

It seems apparent that batteries seem to fall off a cliff when they could be ok one minute and dead the next, having experienced it twice in the time I have had ZTs (and not with any other car I have known)

It may be charged with 12v but not have any current capacity. Can you put a voltmeter on the battery when it's on the car and see what happens when you turn the ignition on or attempt to start it, it should stay around 11 - 12v but if it drops down below that then it is probably dud.

suzublu 17th January 2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltonboy (Post 2860263)
hi

not saying it would be have you checked the plenum ecu might be flooded

Plenum is dry, check every week through spyhole:cool:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2860265)

Yep Dave, going to give him a ring tomorrow after I've refitted the battery & tried again:bowdown:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvo (Post 2860266)
Knowing it seems to be a common theme with batteries on 75s/ZTs have you tried a good battery?

It seems apparent that batteries seem to fall off a cliff when they could be ok one minute and dead the next, having experienced it twice in the time I have had ZTs (and not with any other car I have known)

It may be charged with 12v but not have any current capacity. Can you put a voltmeter on the battery when it's on the car and see what happens when you turn the ignition on or attempt to start it, it should stay around 11 - 12v but if it drops down below that then it is probably dud.

Battery is showing 13.5 to 14v but, it is a few years old now so you may be right:cool: Thanks:bowdown:

marinabrian 17th January 2021 15:47

Oh dear, it's chromium poisoning by the sound of it :eek:

I will have a socially distanced drive down tomorrow and suck air through my teeth and tut a bit, and if that doesn't work we'll thrash it with a branch.

Professional repairs such as described, will require coffee and biscuits though :drool4:

Bri :D

Yorkshire GOC 17th January 2021 15:52

Sounds like the battery to me t- try the voltmeter tomorrow to see if you get over 12.4 at rest - if not a new battery is in the offing.

suzublu 17th January 2021 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2860279)
Oh dear, it's chromium poisoning by the sound of it :eek:

I will have a socially distanced drive down tomorrow and suck air through my teeth and tut a bit, and if that doesn't work we'll thrash it with a branch.

Professional repairs such as described, will require coffee and biscuits though :drool4:

Bri :D

Thanks matey materson:bowdown: choc chip cookies in. No rush Bri as I'm not using it, but you're welcome anyway:D Might just be a dead battery:shrug:

planenut 17th January 2021 16:13

Or, borrow somebody elses battery to eliminate that?

DRWMGTF 17th January 2021 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2860265)

I have got to agree with you!
Hope you get sorted soon Ronnie.
Regards David