The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Auto Gearbox Creep. 2001 2.5 V6 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303609)

BRG75 17th March 2020 11:09

Auto Gearbox Creep. 2001 2.5 V6

Not difficult to live with, but certainly not "right" either.

Nothing in Haynes, so any help appreciated.

Tickover is a steady 600 rpm, put car into D, or R, without foot on brake, and the car actually moves off.

I used the word creep in the title, to simply explain the problem, it is far more than a creep.

I suspect that it is likely to be whatever the transmission control unit is called, and hoping that it might be a T4 adjustment / setting.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike

vitesse 17th March 2020 11:26

Not sure I understand what you're asking. If you're asking is it normal for an automatic to move in D or R if the brake is not engaged then yes, all autos move if D or R is selected.

Regards

BRG75 17th March 2020 11:32

Thanks Vitesse, but not still on 600 rpm.

All autos I've previously had, will stay motionless on tickover.

Some might loose a few RPM (also normal) but this one stays rock solid on 600rpm, and probably moves at a walking pace, although I've not analysed it to that extent.

Thanks again.

Mike

steve-45 17th March 2020 11:51

Both my autos also creep on tickover, can understand it with the torque from a diesel 75, but my little 1.3 petrol Daihatsu also does it.

I've always thought this to be normal and useful for creeping along in very heavy traffic.

dattrike 17th March 2020 12:12

Mine does it.

pletevl 17th March 2020 12:15

Mine does it, totally normal. I've never been in an automatic that DOESN'T do it !

BRG75 17th March 2020 12:24

Well Steve, my eyes have been opened.

I've just done some quick internet research, and apparently there have been some developments (numerous I imagine) with auto boxes.

One such design, or maybe a generation, is called a DCT, and these boxes are indeed designed to creep. DCT stands for Dual Clutch Transmission, with the clutches being computer controlled - and don't our 75's just love computer control.

So, accepting now that the creep itself is to be expected, I'll change the question to "how fast"

I will also do a test this afternoon, and report what my road speed is at 600rpm.

Live and Learn,

Thanks

Mike

dattrike 17th March 2020 12:54

It will depend on the slope of the road, ie, uphill or downhill.

BRG75 17th March 2020 13:23

OK, from post 7, I've used a level part our local car park, and recorded 5 mph, in drive, after travelling about 18 feet. (a fence with 6ft panels had conveniently been installed)

So, scientifically enough, with no throttle, 600rpm tickover, 5 mph.

I still feel that this is too fast, but stand to be corrected, if I'm wrong.

Regards

Mike

first-things-first 17th March 2020 13:58

The boxes also have hill hold control - to stop you rolling backwards on a slope. I think it possibly adds a little more revs if needed.