The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Electric cars (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316582)

bl52krz 26th November 2021 21:10

Electric cars

We have a mobile chiropodist visit us every 6 weeks or so, and he told us yesterday that he had bought an electric car. He brought the subject up of miles per charge. I do not know what car it is, not really interested, but it is a smaller model he said. Now I have always said that when we get a really long cold winter, the roads will be blocked by electric cars with no ‘go’, empty of charge. He said that when he checked the mileage on the dial in the car when he came out, it said there were 95 miles showing. He said he had just pulled up at our abode, and there was only 45 miles left. He had only travelled about 20 miles, and thought there was something wrong with it, the car. I asked if he had been using the heater, it was only 1.2 centigrade, and he had, also the lovely heated seats and rear window demister. As I said, wait for a long cold winter. He said it is supposed to do around 200 odd miles on a full charge. Yes ok.

macafee2 26th November 2021 21:19

It may do 200 miles on a full charge but everything that is turned on will use electric thus reducing the distance that can be covered.

I bet a number of electric car drivers will forget/not realise that

macafee2

sworks 26th November 2021 21:54

The only thing to affect the range is the cabin heater, lights, wiper, heated seats etc etc won’t as they aren’t powered by the high voltage battery. The obvious thing to do in winter is to pre heat the car whilst it’s charging thus not affecting the range once charged. The range will drop in winter and rise in summer but that’s just physics...

sworks 26th November 2021 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2909797)
It may do 200 miles on a full charge but everything that is turned on will use electric thus reducing the distance that can be covered.

I bet a number of electric car drivers will forget/not realise that

macafee2

Not true ;)

guru 27th November 2021 02:27

It is true that EV range drops in the winter however most newer EV's still have ample range for most commutes even in the depths of winter. We do around 60 miles a day in our ZS and even in the depths of winter we'll still get back with over 50% of the battery left. Yes EV's may run out of power however the last time I forgot to put petrol in my car it didn't fare too well either!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2909804)
The only thing to affect the range is the cabin heater, lights, wiper, heated seats etc etc won’t as they aren’t powered by the high voltage battery

Not strictly true as the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor so a high 12v drain will have some impact on the traction battery however not very much.

Simondi 27th November 2021 06:38

We bought our MG ZSEV in December last year. During the winter the range does drop, instead of showing 160 miles on a full charge it shows 145 ( in the summer that increaito 170).
Driving with the heater and fans on takes off around 10-15 miles on the range.
In real terms it means that we need to charge our car after Mrs Simondi has made two trips to work instead of three. Cost wise this is around £2.90 a charge. Compared to her petrol costs of around £10 for the two journeys.
She loves her MG and would happily buy another one

SD1too 27th November 2021 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru (Post 2909822)
... the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor ...

Thanks for this James; very interesting. Do you, or sworks (Mark), happen to know the voltage of the high voltage battery? I'm just curious.

Simon

Simondi 27th November 2021 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2909829)
Thanks for this James; very interesting. Do you, or sworks (Mark), happen to know the voltage of the high voltage battery? I'm just curious.

Simon

Our ZS shows 456 Volts on the display, I believe this will change slightly when the next update is applied

sworks 27th November 2021 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru (Post 2909822)

Not strictly true as the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor so a high 12v drain will have some impact on the traction battery however not very much.

Small enough to be difficult to measure in terms of range use

sworks 27th November 2021 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2909829)

Simon

It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but 360 to 400 seem to be the ball park figure. However, as Simon says the MG ZS is around 450 and the newly launched IONIQ5 is 800. With the correct dc charger you can go from almost empty to around 80% charged in around 18 minutes.