The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Algae Remover? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=188400)

Airedale 3rd July 2014 21:26

Algae Remover?

For the rubber trim (and paintwork:duh:) of the latest acquisition! Any suggestions for the best chemical or equivalent method? Particularly, bad on the external rubber of the sunroof and in the crevice between the chrome trim and the body panels. (Pressure hasn't removed it all :shrug:.)

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Dave

Jordan Apex 4th July 2014 06:22

Autogylm do something for this, I think there intensive tar remover gets it off!

Supervinnie40 4th July 2014 07:06

Jordan is right, but if it doesn't work you can use special algae remover for soft tops (convertible), and I have been told that round-up works pretty good as well.

In general something with a very high, or very low pH value should also have an effect.

stevestrat 4th July 2014 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 (Post 1722119)
and I have been told that round-up works pretty good as well.

I'm not standing spraying weedkiller on the car! The guys in white coats and a big net will be after me :D

ceedy 4th July 2014 07:28

Its just the standing water and the time in the sun that let the algae grow..

you will need to kill the algae with a mild solution of water and household bleach , I use a toothbrush for the crevices ... ;) ..

tastes funny inthe morning tho ' :D:D...

but you still need to use elbow grease and something to get it off the paint, like suggested previously.

it doesn't come back again for along while.

C

Supervinnie40 4th July 2014 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 1722127)
I'm not standing spraying weedkiller on the car! The guys in white coats and a big net will be after me :D

Lol, if done more weird stuff then that ;) :girl2::propeller::twonk:

FREDPLY 6th July 2014 10:47

Algea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 (Post 1722119)
Jordan is right, but if it doesn't work you can use special algae remover for soft tops (convertible), and I have been told that round-up works pretty good as well.

In general something with a very high, or very low pH value should also have an effect.

Vinegar and a toothbrush let apply lots of it let it soak in the toothbrush it off - Follow up with a good wash car and you will smell like a chippy:D

klarzy 6th July 2014 11:00

use hypochlorite solution (cheap bleach @ 10/1 in plain warm water)
it will wash it off and kill any remaining algal spores preventing recurrence.;)

trikey 6th July 2014 11:31

Any antibacterial in a spray bottle works well.

coolcat 6th July 2014 12:26

So I guess a concoction of weed killer, bleach and vinegar mixed together will do a great job then:eek::D:getmecoat: