The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Manifold cleanings (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294583)

bl52krz 2nd April 2019 16:10

Manifold cleanings

I intend cleaning my diesel inlet manifold out. It needs it I would think after 17 years. Egr has been cleaned a few times but not the manifold. I have cleaned the EGR out without using anything to abrasive. With the manifold, I have watched a video where the egr was cleaned out with Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner. Has anyone used this to clean the manifold out, or is it to strong for this job?

Vossy 2nd April 2019 16:31

I did put mine in the dishwasher and it made a very good job of it, I had to run the dishwasher on a clean cycle afterwards though :D

Someone on here used Mr Muscle on theirs, it has no detrimental effect on the manifold.

I have also seen good use of original Ariel washing powder, used in a big tub and left to soak overnight.

There are lots of ways to clean them, I will admit that I didn't notice any difference in my car after it was done though.

Dirty job however way you do it, if you have a friendly local garage they might have a parts washer and might charge you a fiver or so for doing it.

cbr1100xx 2nd April 2019 16:31

Any of the oven cleaners will work ,
Get the one with the bag , leave it overnight , works wonders
Stan

bl52krz 2nd April 2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 2723938)
Stan

Is the bag big enough for a manifold? Really only need the Cleaner on the inside though.

gadget1960 2nd April 2019 17:42

Oven bag plenty big enough, I left mine overnight and then pressure washed it all out the next day, never seen so much black crud come out of an inlet manifold! that's what persuaded me to unplug the egr thereafter, definitely didn't want to do that again anytime soon!

trikey 2nd April 2019 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 2723938)
Stan

I do this method, far easier than the spray on oven cleaner.

LotusLC 2nd April 2019 19:31

I put one in the dishwasher once, stained it with oil for months.

AndyN01 2nd April 2019 20:21

Or save yourself a messy job and contact Arctic for one he's prepared earlier - like I did :D:D.

Pretty easy to swap a filthy one for a clean one.

Andy.

mbrenn 4th April 2019 19:36

Please advise, s it necessary to replace the manifold seals? Thanks.

macafee2 4th April 2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrenn (Post 2724487)
Please advise, s it necessary to replace the manifold seals? Thanks.

I did not when I cleaned mine

macafee2