The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   BRAKES....!!!!!/ vacumm pump (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292826)

Phil th Barrow 11th February 2019 08:18

BRAKES....!!!!!/ vacumm pump

Morning all.

Over th years my brake pedal as needed more pressure to stop th car. 2.0 CDTI Iv not noticed this slow on set much as its been gradual. But when I drive th wife's car I do tend to throw her threw th front window until I get used to what real modern brakes are like.:eek:

So iv checked all associated vacuum pipes to servo and EGR. No hissing and in sound condition for there age Looked at th servo connection (Not a lot of room in thier is there) and could not hear any hissing. Took th pipe off th none return T piece to th EGR and felt for th vacuum. Not a great deal of suck I must say. But how much should there be..

Iv done th pump th brake till they go hard test and then re started it and with th foot on th pedal and it sinks as it should do when th vacuum returns. Also it has brakes for 3 pumps after its been switched off for 24 hrs. So I would say its not loosing any vacuum.

Soooo. Can th vacuum pump be removed and reconditioned in any way (strip and clean) or will it be more likely th extremely easy to fit servo that needs replacing....:eek:

Ps, Regarding th brakes themselves they all new pads and disc's on all four wheels.

Thanks for reading Phil

Mike Noc 11th February 2019 09:49

Most common cause of loss of vacuum on the diesels is leaking EGR pipework. As a double check try removing the pipe and blanking it off at the connector.

Yes the vacuum pump can be removed and cleaned. If I remember correctly it is a simple vane pump so check for wear and that the vanes aren't sticking. Also make sure the end plate gasket isn't letting by.

Treating yourself to a vacuum gauge might help with the faultfinding - they aren't that expensive.

Phil th Barrow 11th February 2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2710472)
Most common cause of loss of vacuum on the diesels is leaking EGR pipework. As a double check try removing the pipe and blanking it off at the connector.

Yes the vacuum pump can be removed and cleaned. If I remember correctly it is a simple vane pump so check for wear and that the vanes aren't sticking. Also make sure the end plate gasket isn't letting by.

Treating yourself to a vacuum gauge might help with the faultfinding - they aren't that expensive.

Thanks Mike. Ill test vacuum latter. Do you know its ideal reading on a gauge.? Ill strip and clean pump if its low. EGR pipe is ok but will check again. Vacuum is still there 24 hrs after engine off..

clf 11th February 2019 10:10

Have you changed the fluid, or bled them. It can make a good difference if it hasn't been done in a long time

sent from here

Phil th Barrow 11th February 2019 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2710484)
Have you changed the fluid, or bled them. It can make a good difference if it hasn't been done in a long time

sent from here

All fluid changed last year.:}

T-Cut 11th February 2019 11:23

Stuck calipers/slides/pistons?

TC

Phil th Barrow 11th February 2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2710498)
Stuck calipers/slides/pistons?

TC

Errrrr… Nope. All recently done when discs and pads changed.

Mike Noc 11th February 2019 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow (Post 2710476)
Thanks Mike. Ill test vacuum latter. Do you know its ideal reading on a gauge.? Ill strip and clean pump if its low. EGR pipe is ok but will check again. Vacuum is still there 24 hrs after engine off..

Sure I read somewhere that the master cylinder needs at least 18inHg to perform efficiently, so anything over that and you should be fine.

As the vacuum is still there after 24 hours both the master cylinder diaphragm and non return valve are good.

Phil th Barrow 11th February 2019 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2710569)
Sure I read somewhere that the master cylinder needs at least 18inHg to perform efficiently, so anything over that and you should be fine.

As the vacuum is still there after 24 hours both the master cylinder diaphragm and non return valve are good.

Thanks Mike for th info..:}

bl52krz 15th February 2019 22:10

If I remember my SD1 servo diaphragm went and when you put the anchor’s on, blue smoke came out of the exhaust. It was burning the brake fluid.