The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MG SAIC close longbridge facility (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295694)

Ian G 11th May 2019 17:26

MG SAIC close longbridge facility

Most staff at the MG SAIC Longbridge have been given redundacy notices and the facility will close..
Cheers Ian

kaiser 11th May 2019 18:01

What have they been doing since the MG TF was stopped?

MSS 11th May 2019 19:07

The UK workforce was relatively small and focused on design.

This move was inevitable - what reason would there be to retain a UK technical centre once all the design knowhow has been consumed by the parent comp-any?

IMO design location will always follow production unless there are overriding political or commercial imperatives stopping it.

This does raise the question of why anybody in the UK would buy an expensive new EV from a company given that it could easily stop supporting it if UK presence no longer made financial sense.

trikey 11th May 2019 19:23

Inside info Ian ;)

victorgte 11th May 2019 19:28

I would imagine St.Modwen are rubbing their hands as they will soon own ALL of Longbridge and develop it accordingly.

sworks 11th May 2019 19:28

I believe that some contractors have been finished and some staff are on a 45 day consultation period but the future of a Longbridge was still undecided. Any links to info that says that Longbridge will close Ian?

Ian G 11th May 2019 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2733090)
Inside info Ian ;)

Of course;);).. seems a strange move as 90% of new engine and model development was being done there.
My contact was working on a 300 hp 1.6 supercharged unit.

Ian G 11th May 2019 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sworks (Post 2733093)
I believe that some contractors have been finished and some staff are on a 45 day consultation period but the future of a Longbridge was still undecided. Any links to info that says that Longbridge will close Ian?

No links but my infomation is sitting next to me.
He has left MG already and the situation seems far from clear.
At the moment it looks as if some sales staff may remain but no idea where they will be based.

trikey 11th May 2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2733105)
My contact was working on a 300 hp 1.6 supercharged unit.

Me want.... :D

marinabrian 11th May 2019 20:57

Well that is that, definitely no chance of buying any Chinese or Indian "MG" cars ever for me.

I was almost swayed by a new MG3 for Mrs MB from Fred Henderson in Durham, but nope that's not on the cards now.

So with the R&D going overseas in most likelihood, there is going to be nothing left.

Let's all give a round of applause to BMW for asset stripping Rover, and the Phoenix Four for handing the Chinese the remnants of MGR on a plate, after lining their own pockets, and shafting the workforce of course.

You have to applaud the alien ownership of once great British companies :getmecoat:

Brian :mad: