The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intermittant starting fault - diesel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317998)

Scimdaz 26th February 2022 16:55

Intermittant starting fault - diesel

My diesel has started playing games with me. Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't there is no indication that the starter is trying at all = no clicks, certainly no attempts to crank.

A couple of times releasing the key and trying again it fires but on other occasions it hasn't. There are no warning lights on the dash and everyting else seems fine. The battery is showing 12.33V across the terminals and 14.86V at tickover.

Given the amount of water that has been across the roads recently is there an earth lead or similar, low down, that is worth checking? Or might it be the ignition barrel? (Plenum is dry)

As ever - thanks for any pointers in advance (but keep them simple.... LOL)

dave lincs 26th February 2022 18:47

Check starter motor connection on spade terminal give it a wiggle and try

Mike Noc 26th February 2022 19:59

Also check the starter motor solenoid contacts. If they are worn you will get intermittent non starts with just a single click as the solenoid pulls in but it is easily missed.

Scimdaz 26th February 2022 20:07

Thanks guys - today, of course, it started first time. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. (and, given my hearing, I fully accept that I could miss a single click.....)

Geoff Palmano 26th February 2022 23:15

I had the same intermittent starting problems on my 2004 Connoisseur. I have just fitted a solenoid repair kit and the problem has been solved - there are existing threads on this. The contacts were badly pitted and worn.

patrolman pete 27th February 2022 10:05

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago when the engine would stop cranking whilst the key was turned. Eventually stopped cranking all together then after multiple tries it would start. At 201,000 miles I suspected the contacts would be well past their sell by date so I followed Arctic's excellent advice, and ordered a starter repair from DMGRS and all is good again. :}

Scimdaz 4th March 2022 17:33

thanks chaps

You guys were, of course, correct. The next time it failed to crank I did hear a single solenoid click. Didn't take the plunge myself but, after a push start, delivered it to a local auto-sparky. He had the contacts on the shelf and 36 hours later (when he has a 10-day lead time.......sorry to all those I pushed in front of) I'm up and running again. Considerably cheaper than a new starter!

Arctic 4th March 2022 22:30

Starter Motor Repair Kit Diesel

Quick post for those that would like to undertake the job themselves, click the link below. ;)

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=227316

Scimdaz 7th March 2022 23:22

Hmmmm......

Looks like the issue was more involved.

Picked the car up Friday - all good. Drove around at the weekend and most of today. Got a call off my Mum so needed to dash down to Chester after tea - all good. Having got her central heating going got bck in my car to come home and .......single solenoid click. Unhappy bunny!

Gathered some neighbours together and got a push start. On the way home started seeing random warning lights - airbag, ABS, door open (really???) - coming on and then leaving again. Even the radio turned itself off. Then the headlights started dimming. Finally power dropped. Just getting ready to call the man in the truck when the lights came back (along with the power) and she got me home.

I'm not psychic but I can see a trip to Liversedge in the not too distant (if she gets me there......)

Arctic 8th March 2022 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimdaz (Post 2923442)
Looks like the issue was more involved.

Picked the car up Friday - all good. Drove around at the weekend and most of today. Got a call off my Mum so needed to dash down to Chester after tea - all good. Having got her central heating going got bck in my car to come home and .......single solenoid click. Unhappy bunny!

Gathered some neighbours together and got a push start. On the way home started seeing random warning lights - airbag, ABS, door open (really???) - coming on and then leaving again. Even the radio turned itself off. Then the headlights started dimming. Finally power dropped. Just getting ready to call the man in the truck when the lights came back (along with the power) and she got me home.

Quote:

I'm not psychic but I can see a trip to Liversedge in the not too distant (if she gets me there......)

Sounds good call as it seems the ECU as taken a swim at some time.