The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rusted Nuts (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309970)

Phil MG 19th December 2020 14:07

Rusted Nuts

Hi Guys & girls.
First post on here,MG Zt 05 2l Diesel.
I have not long brought this car and saved it from the breakers yard.It doesn't have any MOT yet but not in a rush.My first jobs was to replace the upper rear suspension arms and springs and i was going to ask how to do it,but i looked on the forum and saw in the "How to Guide" how to get round the problems.(something to do over the Christmas break)
Now onto Rusted nuts,I have just broken 2- 17mm deep sockets trying to undo the wheel nuts with a 2 foot breaker bar.(car not being used for over 12 months)
What would be the best way of removing them?
Phil.

chris75 19th December 2020 14:34

Perhaps the quality of your sockets is an issue ? I always use 6 -sided impact sockets with my breaker bar when nuts are seriously tight .
You could always consider borrowing a good impact driver to try , although I have never myself come across one that a breaker bar couldn't remove :shrug:
Good luck .:xmas-smiley-008:

rrobson 19th December 2020 15:11

Good quality sockets and a 3ft breaker bar. That or an impact gun. If your struggling with the wheel bolts, wait while you get to the rest of them! :icon_lol:

Mike Noc 19th December 2020 15:56

Give them a good few clumps with a lump hammer before trying to undo them.

rab60bit 19th December 2020 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 2854878)
Perhaps the quality of your sockets is an issue ? I always use 6 -sided impact sockets with my breaker bar when nuts are seriously tight .
You could always consider borrowing a good impact driver to try , although I have never myself come across one that a breaker bar couldn't remove :shrug:
Good luck .:xmas-smiley-008:

What he said - and give each bolt a good squirt of penetrating oil into the taper and that will hopefully leech down into the hub threads, leave for as long as you can bear, pop on the socket and give it a firm tap with a club hammer (bit of leather or wood between the two bits of colliding steel) and with your breaker bar then try 1/16 turn (clockwise to tighten and break any corrosion 'poverty' which is what usually causes the problems over time) then a good heave anti-clock to undo in the usual manner.

macafee2 19th December 2020 18:03

Rust may not be the problem, just being tight. If they are that tight then if using an impact gun, use impact sockets

macafee2

Phil MG 19th December 2020 18:08

Thanks guy's,i've got a 6 sided impact socket to wallop with a impact driver.Would a bit of heat help?

tantallon 19th December 2020 18:21

Shouldnt need heat .Once heat is used .Bolts need to be disgarded

JohnnyBG 19th December 2020 20:04

Freezer spray, although never had to use it on wheel nuts.

JohnnyBG

Phil MG 10th January 2021 17:23

It's now just this one bolt which is not budging,have used heat,anti seizure spray,6 sided impact sockets and impact driver,also borrowed a Makita 110v impact gun (big heavy thing) and it's still not moving.I might have rounded the wheel bolt off a bit,so now i'll need to drill it out.
P.S. have got all of the other studs out and cleaned them and copper slipped.Not going to let this one little bolt beat me.:banghead::banghead::banghead: