The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Driver's door area wind noise? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313141)

biffa75 26th May 2021 05:49

Driver's door area wind noise?

Hi all,

Since taking ownership.of our 75 I've noticed a wind noise that appears to become evident at around 40mph and remain constant from that speed and above.

Seems to come from around the driver's door or window area.

Is this a common thing? Any pointers to what to start searching for first?

There's no leaks and no feelings of air rushing in while driving.

Thanks in advance
Rob

geo.k23 26th May 2021 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffa75 (Post 2883236)
Hi all,

Since taking ownership.of our 75 I've noticed a wind noise that appears to become evident at around 40mph and remain constant from that speed and above.

Thanks in advance
Rob

got the same on my 02 tourer

dattrike 26th May 2021 08:04

Check the door seal is in good condition.

T-Cut 26th May 2021 09:59

I've read that this wind noise stems from the thin contact line between the glass and the door frame seals. Some members have reported success in reducing it by sticking a layer of felted tape to the contact surface of the window seals. That sounds like a fiddly job. Anyway, I bought a roll of the tape from eBay (China of course) but haven't yet got around to fitting it.

EDIT: I asume it only needs to be applied to the exterior edges.

TC

first-things-first 26th May 2021 12:19

Check the windscreen fit. If it has been replaced, it may have a windscreen that is not wide enough. I have this and a 6mm ish gap at the left and right edges that causes wind noise, that even with the trims in place and all clips present.

The screen was not replaced by me and is Pilkington branded. I know what it is and if it eventually annoys me enough I'll get a replacement or something to fill the gap.

Cable Tie 27th May 2021 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffa75 (Post 2883236)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Rob

Do you have wind deflectors fitted ? I had same problem when i fitted them,took them back off and the noise went

xsport 28th May 2021 15:01

apart from replacement of the door mirror mounting gaskets i cut up a bathroom sponge once to fill the cavity in the bracket and that did make quite a difference. keep trying different things and you will hopefully get there.its strange how some cars suffer more than others.... :shrug:

The Rovering Member 29th May 2021 06:52

Yes it is, the only time l get wind noise is when l put my roofbars on.
Mine does seem to have been screwed together during a very good period of manufacture. 157,000 miles & still not a rattle or a squeak.

biffa75 3rd June 2021 05:37

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try each one and report back.

Sorry for the delay in replying, following having our house completely rewired and plastered and trying to decorate around night shifts, things became a tad hectic.

Surprisingly enough, my door seals are in good condition and not torn or split.

I don't have wind deflectors fitted.

I don't suppose there is a window perimeter reset similar to the sunroof? :bowdown:

The only thing I've noticed since making this post is, if while driving I hold a few fingers at the top corner of the window (beside/above your head) the noise does become a little quieter.. not sure if this could be the issue or how to go about sorting it, if it is coming from this area.

Thanks
Rob

Bryan Terry 15th June 2021 19:41

Windscreen

Quote:

Originally Posted by first-things-first (Post 2883311)
Check the windscreen fit. If it has been replaced, it may have a windscreen that is not wide enough. I have this and a 6mm ish gap at the left and right edges that causes wind noise, that even with the trims in place and all clips present.

The screen was not replaced by me and is Pilkington branded. I know what it is and if it eventually annoys me enough I'll get a replacement or something to fill the gap.

I recently had a Pilkington screen fitted here in Ireland, have noticed it is not wide enough. Is there a cure for this?