The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Noise from front nearside wheel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317092)

Simondi 4th January 2022 15:48

Noise from front nearside wheel

I took my ZT190 out for a drive today and as I turned into a parking space (full left lock) and braked I got a tapping/buzzing/vibrating noise from the left front wheel.
I couldn't see anything obviously wrong and there was no untoward feed back through the pedal. Likewise no lights have come on the dashboard
The noise returns under heavy breaking ( a light touch of the brake to knock a few mph off is ok), breaking at low speed or on turning.

Any ideas chaps

Many thanks as always

dave lincs 4th January 2022 17:21

Sounds like the abs unit working due to almost certainly a faulty rear wheel bearing

chicochapman 4th January 2022 18:48

Is that correct - rear wheel bearing affecting front wheel?
Only asking as I have exactly the same problem only mine comes and goes.

COLVERT 4th January 2022 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicochapman (Post 2915006)
Is that correct - rear wheel bearing affecting front wheel?
Only asking as I have exactly the same problem only mine comes and goes.

Not correct, the reply to the OP is wrong.--:shocked:

COLVERT 4th January 2022 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 2914989)
I took my ZT190 out for a drive today and as I turned into a parking space (full left lock) and braked I got a tapping/buzzing/vibrating noise from the left front wheel.
I couldn't see anything obviously wrong and there was no untoward feed back through the pedal. Likewise no lights have come on the dashboard
The noise returns under heavy braking ( a light touch of the brake to knock a few mph off is ok), braking at low speed or on turning.

Any ideas chaps

Many thanks as always

Is there any noise at all just driving along or does it only appear under braking ??

Simondi 4th January 2022 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2915015)
Is there any noise at all just driving along or does it only appear under braking ??

It only appears to be under breaking 🙂

DMGRS 5th January 2022 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 2915017)
It only appears to be under breaking 🙂

I'd pull the ABS fuse and go for a drive - see if the issue is there or not.
With the fuse pulled the ABS modulator can't 'do its thing' and pulse the brakes - so the noise should disappear.

Mine couldn't really be felt through the pedal but it was the front wheel bearing magnetic ring losing its magnetism combined with a little play, causing the ABS to pulse under braking.
A new wheel bearing resolved the issue.

Simondi 5th January 2022 12:34

Thanks Matt, that reminds me I need to order a starter motor for the TF too:}

COLVERT 5th January 2022 16:44

Would be good idea to jack up the front wheel and try rocking it.--Hand at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

Also spin it. Noises that might not be enough to be heard in the car, except under load, might be more apparent with your ears close to the wheel.

As in the above posts I'd go for a possibly dying wheel bearing.---:shocked:

Simondi 5th January 2022 17:22

Thanks chaps