The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help, she won't start... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287311)

rab60bit 21st August 2018 17:05

Help, she won't start...

2.5 Contemporary SE manual. It seems to be firing but the best I can manage is a few stutters, same symptoms each time I try just more (or fewer) stutters each attempt. No obvious warnings, it was fine yesterday.
I've experienced a camshaft position sensor issue on a previous 2L Connoisseur but this seems to be different.

trikey 21st August 2018 17:08

Fuel filter separation comes to mind.

rab60bit 21st August 2018 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2662212)
Fuel filter separation comes to mind.

Indulge me, this is all new. Does that mean the replaceable fluted 'paper' filter insert has come apart - so that = fuel starvation or blockage?
Found the bits on Rimmers, apart from the actual filter and a couple of seals will I need anything else? What's the spring for?
Is there a how to do you know?
Cheap universal tool to remove/replace the locking collar or is a visit to the bank for a once-off use (I hope) what I have to plan for - looks a bit of a pig of a job.
I can now see where the oft quoted orange clip lives, are these reusable since they are NLA with Rimmers.
Does it all self prime once it's fixed or is it more magic tricks to learn?

SD1too 22nd August 2018 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by rab60bit (Post 2662370)
Does that mean the replaceable fluted 'paper' filter insert has come apart ...

Not exactly John. It means that the two halves of the filter casing have loosened very slightly leading to low fuel pressure.
Quote:

... apart from the actual filter and a couple of seals will I need anything else?
All you need is the orange clip. Do not take the filter casing apart completely, just try to tighten it.
Quote:

What's the spring for?
I have no idea but you don’t need it. :D
Quote:

Is there a how to do you know?
There is lots of information on this subject. Search for ‘FFS’ or ‘Orange clip’.
Quote:

Cheap universal tool to remove/replace the locking collar ...
Improvise with existing household tools.
Quote:

Does it all self prime once it's fixed ...
Yes. In fact your fuel system self-primes every time you switch on the ignition.

Good luck John. All the above are tips which I have gleaned from forum members although I did once assist with the collar removal. My car is old enough to have the original design of filter casing which does not come apart so I don’t have direct personal practical experience of this.

Simon

T-Cut 22nd August 2018 08:58

Try this: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=286749

rab60bit 29th August 2018 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2662421)
Not exactly John. It means that the two halves of the filter casing have loosened very slightly leading to low fuel pressure.

All you need is the orange clip. Do not take the filter casing apart completely, just try to tighten it.

I have no idea but you don’t need it. :D

There is lots of information on this subject. Search for ‘FFS’ or ‘Orange clip’.

Improvise with existing household tools.

Yes. In fact your fuel system self-primes every time you switch on the ignition.

Good luck John. All the above are tips which I have gleaned from forum members although I did once assist with the collar removal. My car is old enough to have the original design of filter casing which does not come apart so I don’t have direct personal practical experience of this.

Simon

Eventually did the job over the Bank Holiday weekend - not all in one go I might add.
Believe it or not it took me longer to remove the rear seat cushion (I've got the Contemporary black leather sport seat which is a lightweight version of the usual 75 seat and it's flimsy by comparison) than it did to do the seal/clip - didn't help that one of the seat springs was jammed under the rear floor clip - what an absolute pig!! I got the clip/seal from Ez-zee on e-bay and they provided a good step by step guide too.
Started first try, much to my relief.

SD1too 30th August 2018 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by rab60bit (Post 2664839)
Believe it or not it took me longer to remove the rear seat cushion ... than it did to do the seal/clip ....

As someone who has done my own maintenance ever since buying my first car I CAN believe that John!

Thanks for letting us know of your success.

Simon

planenut 30th August 2018 08:10

Great result, and well done, all round.

Rogue 30th August 2018 09:04

Just for future reference a special tool can be made to aid removal of the seat... A stick with a 'V' cut in the end to push the sprung section away from the clip :)