The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Flat Battery (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310551)

YorkshirePotter 17th January 2021 14:55

Flat Battery

Hope the wise owls can offer an opinion on this. After a recent cold snap 2 weeks ago, to my amazement both of my Rover 75's batteries were flat.
The 2.0 diesel has had issues previously and has had 2 new batteries in 6 months, the 2.5 V6 had a new Varta one no more than a year ago and up to now has had no issues.
Anyway after jump starting the pair of them a couple of times, I got Halfords to fit a brand new battery to the 2.5 on Monday night, drove home and it hadn't moved since, due to snow and ice in the last few days.
Went to start it up last night, and it's completely flat! In only 4 days!
Anyone got any idea if this is an issue with their cars, and what could have caused it?
Thanks in advance.

suzublu 17th January 2021 15:03

Have you got sat nav in the boot?

bluemalbert 17th January 2021 15:06

Im guessing theres a draw on the battery when all is shut down, glove box light on? Boot light on? Interior light these are the obvious ones. Sat nav as quoted above still in semi shut off mode?
need to test id say, if the obvious drain isnt showing.

roverbarmy 17th January 2021 15:11

Check that the plenum drains are clear (under the car, see by looking down the inspection holes under the wipers) See the how to's on the How to Page if you are not sure. Drowned electronics will allow tracking.;) Also check that doors, bonnet and boot switches are closing properly and not leaving interior lights running.

YorkshirePotter 17th January 2021 15:12

Well there were no internal lights on that I know of, as to the boot light I would have thought it is automatic, and I haven't tampered with anything. Yes i have a sat nav unit in the boot, I am having problems with the sat nav which I was suppose to meet with BigRuss about this last week before the snow put paid to my visit.

YorkshirePotter 17th January 2021 15:16

I had the plenum drains cleaned out by my mechanic a month ago as I actually had water coming out from under the dash when going up hills at one point, it obviously hadn't been done for years (i've had it about 18 months).

suzublu 17th January 2021 15:18

Chances are your sat-nav isn't turning off completely thereby draining your battery.

YorkshirePotter 17th January 2021 15:30

Thanks for the help guys, maybe if I can get it to BigRuss this week as planned for the original reason, which was the sat nav not working properly, we can suss it out.
Ironic isn't it, the sat nav not working properly and that particular 'extra' could be what has killed everything!

SD1too 17th January 2021 19:51

Hi Paul,

What's the problem exactly with your sat. nav? With the ignition key in your hand and all doors and bonnet closed, open the boot and watch the little red LED on the disc drive. It should extinguish after a minute or so. If it doesn't, that could be the reason for the drain on your battery.

Having said that, batteries have to work hard in the winter and most of the time they're not fully charged. I checked mine this weekend and .... ahem ... quickly put it on charge overnight. :o

Simon

COLVERT 18th January 2021 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkshirePotter (Post 2860251)
Hope the wise owls can offer an opinion on this. After a recent cold snap 2 weeks ago, to my amazement both of my Rover 75's batteries were flat.
The 2.0 diesel has had issues previously and has had 2 new batteries in 6 months, the 2.5 V6 had a new Varta one no more than a year ago and up to now has had no issues.
Anyway after jump starting the pair of them a couple of times, I got Halfords to fit a brand new battery to the 2.5 on Monday night, drove home and it hadn't moved since, due to snow and ice in the last few days.
Went to start it up last night, and it's completely flat! In only 4 days!
Anyone got any idea if this is an issue with their cars, and what could have caused it?
Thanks in advance.

Did you actually pay for all those replacement batteries. ( Just curious. )---Because it's now obvious that none of them were at fault.---:eek::eek::duh: