The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coolant Leak Numpty Questions! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309291)

phenonix 17th November 2020 07:27

Coolant Leak Numpty Questions!

I have a serious coolant leak and would like to attempt to repair myself, but have never done this before.

I've recently noticed a smell of coolant when the temperature hits 100 (Hans sensor) and there would be a small puddle of coolant under the car.
Just the other day there was way more than previously, maybe a litre, so its gotten worse.

I'm hoping it's a leaking hose , the bottom radiator hose,PCH119290, is that the correct part number?
If it turns out to be other than this then i will put everything back and drop it in the garage.

I also have Kaisers metal housing.

I don't car stands for need to attempt this from the front rather than from under.

I've taken the front end off and fan and had a look inside and can see spillage all around PCH119290, i'll take a picture tomorrow.

I plan to take this hose off to inspect it further.

Questions are.

Should i run the car with the front end off to confirm where the leak is coming from that hose?
Will i be able to replace that hose from the front if i need to?

Or any suggestions how to tackle this differently?

I'm sure i'll have a few other questions as i get further in.
Thanks in advance

SD1too 17th November 2020 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenonix (Post 2848714)
... can see spillage all around PCH119290 ...
Should i run the car with the front end off to confirm where the leak is coming from that hose?

Yes, because it might not be. The leak could be coming from higher up, for example from the expansion tank cap. On the other hand, the bleed screw may be damaged.

Start by mopping up the spillage and ensuring all coolant components are dry then run the engine and watch carefully.

Simon

Blink 17th November 2020 16:24

Check the undersides of all hoses because some of them rub against others and can/will eventually wear through. It's not easy to spot when looking down into the engine bay - you have to view them from underneath. (V6).

COLVERT 17th November 2020 18:05

When you say the front end off I guess you mean the bumper.---:smilie_re:

It will be much easier to find a leak that way. It could be something simple like a hose clip needs tightening up.

As you don't want to get under the car then arm yourself with a mirror to look around corners.

Joined here in 2007.---- 13-1/2 years on the forum.--:bowdown:--One of the longer serving members. Have you had the same car all that time ??

Blink 17th November 2020 19:11

Hose PCH119280 engine to oil cooler is one of the hoses that rubs on a V6.

Number 3 here - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001584

vitesse 17th November 2020 19:39

Pay special attention to the large hoses running near the airbox. I once had a leak under the protective sheath which took ages to locate. I noticed a dampness on the hose and it was only by cutting away the sheath that I saw the small split. Another clue was that this particular hose had lost its rubberised feel, instead it had a sticky feel to it.

Regards

phenonix 17th November 2020 21:31

1 Attachment(s)
Can see coolant dripping from here, starts even before the engine got hot, around 78 degrees.
What is the part that is leaking from, or are the pipes above that dripping onto it?

trikey 17th November 2020 21:48

From the picture, it looks like the coolant is dripping down from above the A/C pump then onto the oil cooler.

I would look higher up than those two components and see what you can spot.

phenonix 17th November 2020 21:54

Thanks,

Any suggestions on what pipes i should be looking for that are in the position to drip on those?
Going higher would mean looking in from above not below?
Any pictures on the site?
Would i be looking at pipes PEH101210, PCH119250 and PCH119270?

I'm using Rimmers as a reference for the pipes, also with it leaking before the thermostat opens narrow down which pipes to check?
As it started to leak at about 78, i think, i'll check that again.

phenonix 17th November 2020 23:09

3 Attachment(s)
Looking through top of engine i can see a pooling of coolant appear to be on top of engine block?
Looks in a very difficult position to access, any suggestion to the cause of it, or where to it further?

Hope these pictures show it properly