The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Not an MG/75 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309391)

buster12 21st November 2020 15:16

Not an MG/75

Hi sorry to use this forum for non mg/75 related problem, but I know there is a lot of knowledge out there that might be able to suggest my next step. My wife has a Ford Galaxy mk3 2.0 TDCI, she stopped to drop something off at a friend's and it wouldn't start, just a click which suggested a flat battery, we called the AA out who told us the battery was fine and that it could be the starter motor, I bought a replacement and fitted it today but I get a loud click but no turn over, I tried rocking the car back and fourth in gear to see if was a case of the starter motor not engaging onto the flywheel but it is still the same. So I'm left with thinking the replacement is faulty or something else?

roverbarmy 21st November 2020 15:34

Remove and clean up all the battery and earth connections with emery tape/wire brush or similar. Failing that, check fuses and solenoids.

BigRuss 21st November 2020 15:54

Yes the AA said my battery was fine when it wasn't a few years ago ;) Even gave me the paper readout from their battery tester.
Don't take anything they say as gospel ;)

Russ

bl52krz 21st November 2020 16:10

If as the AA say, the battery is ok, then it must be the new starter.If there is only a click from the starter, then it could be the solenoid. But as it is a new starter, I doubt it. Check the starter out of the car with a known good battery. As Russ said, nothing is right until it is proven.

RPWC 21st November 2020 16:13

The AA will say owt but their prayers TBH, they aren’t the best .If you can get your hands on another battery from another car and try that, or try jump starting the car from another vehicle, if either works then replace the battery.

macafee2 21st November 2020 16:28

would jump starting eliminate the battery?
Would turning all the lights and heaters on and pressing the horn point to a dud battery if the horn is meek?

macafee2

buster12 21st November 2020 16:29

Thanks all, I've noted that none of the lights dim when I try to turn it over, so I've decided the odds are that the new starter has a problem, probably solenoid.

RPWC 21st November 2020 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by buster12 (Post 2849680)
Thanks all, I've noted that none of the lights dim when I try to turn it over, so I've decided the odds are that the new starter has a problem, probably solenoid.

I don’t think it’s your starter, I would check the battery option first.

YHT 21st November 2020 16:57

Corroded terminals?

My R75 had a similar problem; it would start if the battery charger was on the battery terminals but not otherwise; i.e. just a clonk. I changed to starter motor contacts and core thingy (about £10 of e bay) and also cleaned up all the other contacts like the earth under one of the mounting bolts, the terminals bolted to the side of the starter and the slide on connection. Works fine with the battery that wouldn't start it without charger assistance before! Worth a try copared to the cost of new starter motors.

coab 21st November 2020 17:13

Went to one the other day in fact. Did exactly the same scanned it and came up with a host off faults inc immobilizer fault. Battery seemed ok by the looks but just as I was about to think it was the common dash failure which locks the immobilizer the chap said oh it starts with leads!
Put some leads on the car left it for a few mins and it was all good!
Did an alternator test and the alternator was goosed causing the battery to go flat as it wasnt providing enough power.;)