The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel thermostat definative answer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68468)

peelaaa 20th October 2010 11:05

I'm interested in this new thermostat and kit when it comes available.
Could be a good time to fit before the winter hits hard.

HarryM1BYT 20th October 2010 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossocorsa (Post 603784)
been pondering this one I'm no convinced that the position of the stat is correct the only bleed would seem to be from the heater circuit which will be closed in warm weather and I am not sure a hole in the stat is good enough perhaps someone more expert (Jules??) can study the diagram?

The heater matrix is in circuit and open to flow winter or summer, heating set for hot or cold. The temperature of the air is set by air mixing flaps on all cars these days. Only the really old cars had a manually controlled valve under the bonnet to turn the water flow on and off, except I had one Vauxall which had a rather odd system of cabin temperature sensing, mechanically (bulb and mercury filled pipe) feeding back to a flow control valve. I never could get that to work properly.

r44712 20th October 2010 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Incensed (Post 589285)
To confirm the actual coolant temperature in your engine use the thread about onboard diagnostics....Hope this helps

I've used the above and which has leads me to ask what's the average expected running temp? I've heard 88 and 92 banded about - what's the stat rated at? Mine runs at 72degC and if I push the engine, it'll max-out at 77degC.

The running temperatures have been taken from the dash OBD.

Matt1960 20th October 2010 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by r44712 (Post 604194)
I've used the above and which has leads me to ask what's the average expected running temp? I've heard 88 and 92 banded about - what's the stat rated at? Mine runs at 72degC and if I push the engine, it'll max-out at 77degC.

The stat is rated at 88c and when working properly seems to do a good job of maintaining the collant at that temp.
Your readings are in common with a failing stat.
Matt

HarryM1BYT 20th October 2010 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by r44712 (Post 604194)

The properly working stat is rated at 88 deg C. Mine was reading 82, new car to me, so I decided to get it swapped out for a new one. It now runs at around 88 and seems to have made some small difference to the mpg. I think with a new stat you will definately see an improvement in mpg and better heat into the cab.

It might be worth waiting to see how this easy fit aftermarket stat works out longer term, before tackling the much more difficult job of fitting an OEM type.

flyer_phil 21st October 2010 10:36

housing plus stat

I just tried to email meziere enterprizes using the email address
[email protected], to request the cost of a housing plus stat shipped to the UK - but the email was rejected.

?????

wuzerk 21st October 2010 10:41

In Line Stat

I have done all ordering on [email protected] with no problems. Don't forget to ask for 1 1/2" inlet and 1 1/4" outlet. The costs are much less than the cost of replacing the original stat and from there on the thermostat itself costs about eight dollars! So order a spare. I paid via Paypal.

RichB 21st October 2010 10:57

Is it worth getting a few kits ordered for members who are interested? Save on p+p?

Or when do you expect to make them available Jules?

Cheers,
Rich

flyer_phil 21st October 2010 13:40

Ok Frederick.

As a matter of interest how much did they charge you for a housing plus stat shipped to the UK in dollars??

It seems the way to go, since to replace the original is such an awful costly job

wuzerk 21st October 2010 16:05

In line stat

Paypals record shows 112.02 dollars. this was for the housing plus 3 stats. The conversion was done by Paypal and I think it was about £76.
I also had to pay £12.00 VAT when it arrived. Well worth it in my opinion and I have still had no problems with the installation. The postage alone was around 29 dollars! The warm up time is obviously quicker than before although the system still struggles to reach 90 C but with the heater on 'ECON'
and the air flow on 'feet and screen' I can feel the warmth within 1/2 a mile and my feet are toasty within two miles. That was after scraping the ice off the windscreen this morning.