The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Suddenly kicks in? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=287024)

Supervinnie40 14th August 2018 06:55

Suddenly kicks in?

Hi all,

Sometimes when pulling away from the lights I get the feeling that the car is holding back, then suddenly, just under 3000rpm it gives a light shock while it seems to kick in. A bit like what happens when the Turbo kicks in, except I don't have a turbo...
It is not a big problem (I think), but the car never did it. And is only starting to do it since a week orso. The jolt is not extreme, but you can feel it. It's like the engine suddenly wakes up and think "what the heck ...... I better get my gears in motion" and then spurts out a bit of extra BHP.

The AC is set to Auto/Econ and I even turned it off to see if that made a difference. I don't have other systems running that use a lot of power. No headlights and no accessoiries plugged in.

I was already planning on changing the sparkplugs, the oil, all the filters and the coolant. Just as a yearly service (which is due within the next 2 months). And I'm still working out the planning to go to the UK to get my belts and headgasket done. So, there might be a chance that this would fix it. But maybe not, you people probably know better then me...

LeRich 14th August 2018 20:43

Have you tried a battery reset? Any change in exhaust note?

minimutly 14th August 2018 23:46

Wasn't that a lionel richey song?

Lord of Hog 15th August 2018 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimutly (Post 2660031)
Wasn't that a lionel richey song?

"Have you tried a battery reset"?

I've never heard it

Supervinnie40 15th August 2018 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRich (Post 2659999)
Have you tried a battery reset? Any change in exhaust note?

You mean disconnecting the battery for several hours? I haven't tried that yet. I haven't noticed any change in the exhaust note, but I often have the radio turned on, so I might just not have noticed it due to music in the car. I'll have a listen on my way home from work this afternoon.

minimutly 15th August 2018 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord of Hog (Post 2660043)
"Have you tried a battery reset"?

I've never heard it

"Suddenly....."

KWIL 16th August 2018 09:03

Just under 3000rpm you say, now that is when the first VIS motor operates. The big qustion, what is strangling your engine before that point?

Teflon 16th August 2018 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 2660343)
Just under 3000rpm you say, now that is when the first VIS motor operates. The big qustion, what is strangling your engine before that point?

That was my first thought, but Supevinnie has a 1.8, so no VIS motors.

Cliff

suzublu 16th August 2018 10:45

When fitting new plugs, set the gap to .75/.80mm;)
Your symptoms sound like when driving with aircon on, then turning it to econ, sudden gain in power:cool: well, what there is:o:D

LeRich 16th August 2018 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 (Post 2660053)
You mean disconnecting the battery for several hours? I haven't tried that yet. I haven't noticed any change in the exhaust note, but I often have the radio turned on, so I might just not have noticed it due ......

A battery reset can cure random ills and is free and easy to try.

My thought re the exhaust note was in case the cat/silencer had partially collapsed inside.