The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hardwiring a Dashcam (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299201)

grivas 13th September 2019 13:26

Hardwiring a Dashcam

Hi guys, I was considering hard wiring my dash cam to take advantage of the parking mode feature.
As I understand from what I have read, I would need to take power from the fuse box, from a permanently live fuse, so has anyone here tried this and if so which fuse to use, I was considering fuse F3, is the clock fuse, the kit I have purchased has a little box in the circuit to stop the battery from draining, if it reaches 11.6v, so that the car can be started, I don't drive the car every day.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks

ceedy 13th September 2019 13:41

Nope .... not a permanent supply.

it needs to be connected to a Ignition controlled point .

also you can dismantle the ciggy lighter adaptor and wire directly into that,

( if you haven't already) :D to save buying a special Voltage reducer adaptor.

C

Canonite 13th September 2019 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2761908)
Hi guys, I was considering hard wiring my dash cam to take advantage of the parking mode feature.
As I understand from what I have read, I would need to take power from the fuse box, from a permanently live fuse, so has anyone here tried this and if so which fuse to use, I was considering fuse F3, is the clock fuse, the kit I have purchased has a little box in the circuit to stop the battery from draining, if it reaches 11.6v, so that the car can be started, I don't drive the car every day.
Thanks

Depends what dashcam you have and how it’s parking mode works. If you put it to a permanent live you’ll drain the battery. The Nextbase cameras with parking mode can last a few days on a full charge as it literally runs in standby mode and only records 2n clips if triggered

grivas 13th September 2019 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2761913)
Depends what dashcam you have and how it’s parking mode works. If you put it to a permanent live you’ll drain the battery. The Nextbase cameras with parking mode can last a few days on a full charge as it literally runs in standby mode and only records 2n clips if triggered

I have an Apemans C420

cengar 13th September 2019 15:51

camera

I wire in another cigar lighter to a ign controlled fuse it then allows the camera wire to be tucked behind glove box and trim

rovertone 13th September 2019 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2761908)
Thanks

Have you rain sensing wipers? I spliced into the feed in the screen unit which was ideal.

grivas 13th September 2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cengar (Post 2761924)
I wire in another cigar lighter to a ign controlled fuse it then allows the camera wire to be tucked behind glove box and trim

I have a hard wiring kit which allows to tap into a suitable fuse my question remains, which fuse to use to make the parking mode work and at the same time to prevent the car battery from going flat, the kit has a voltage control that shuts off power to the camera when voltage is at 11.6V, so which fuse to tap into?.

Canonite 13th September 2019 21:39

You need to know how much draw the parking mode function is going to demand, it won’t be much but if it’s being triggered regularly every night it won’t take long to sap your battery. The Nextbase and Blackvue cameras are designed to run off a switched live.
If you’re wanting to do it as a kind of in car CCTV you’ll be greatly disappointed.

clf 13th September 2019 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2761999)
I have a hard wiring kit which allows to tap into a suitable fuse my question remains, which fuse to use to make the parking mode work and at the same time to prevent the car battery from going flat, the kit has a voltage control that shuts off power to the camera when voltage is at 11.6V, so which fuse to tap into?.

electric seats, sidelights, central locking. Direct to the battery even (with an inline fuse)

robeire 13th September 2019 22:46

full kit on ebay

hi

search dashcam hardwire kit on ebay / dashcam mirror /sd card

includes everthing you need .

i installed one on my skoda very easy .
i have front and back its built into the rear view mirror .
the rear cam has extra wire which goes to + on rev light

so dounbles as back up cam also :}
cos the front is built into the mirror its all neat and cant notice it from out side of the car , so would be bad people wont try to steal it .
takes miny sd card :} think the whole thing cost me 60 euro and an hour to fit ,

rob