The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear Brake Light Failure Warning! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292934)

fontaine666 14th February 2019 10:08

Rear Brake Light Failure Warning!

Hi chaps.

I seem to be getting a rear brake light failure warning, which does indeed look like the brake light has failed, but it doesn't stay like that and half the time the light works fine. So it's intermittent. I'm guessing that if it works 50 percent of the time then the bulb is fine and there is some kind of electrical issue? Maybe a loose connection? I have no idea. All help would be very gratefully received!

It's a 2003 Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8t

Arctic 14th February 2019 10:32

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fontaine666 (Post 2711306)
Hi chaps.

I seem to be getting a rear brake light failure warning, which does indeed look like the brake light has failed, but it doesn't stay like that and half the time the light works fine. So it's intermittent. I'm guessing that if it works 50 percent of the time then the bulb is fine and there is some kind of electrical issue? Maybe a loose connection? I have no idea. All help would be very gratefully received!

HI John
Yes check all bulb connections as one may have some corrosion around the bulb connector and need cleaning.

fontaine666 14th February 2019 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2711309)
HI John
Yes check all bulb connections as one may have some corrosion around the bulb connector and need cleaning.

Awesome thanks! Just need to figure out how to get the bulbs out now! :)

suzublu 14th February 2019 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fontaine666 (Post 2711310)
Awesome thanks! Just need to figure out how to get the bulbs out now! :)

Don't forget, the brakelight takes the place of the rear light in case of failure.:cool:
If you haven't got the plastic covers over the rear light units, you'll have to lever off the lining to reveal the back of the lights. Then you'll see 2 silver plastic tabs, one at the top & one at the side, just gently press these in & pull off the plastic cover. The bulbs are just twist & pull.:cool:

gozo ken 14th February 2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by fontaine666 (Post 2711306)
Hi chaps.

Could still be a bulb,,I've known a bulb element make and brake,,,not work then work,,
Ken.

fontaine666 14th February 2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gozo ken (Post 2711337)
Could still be a bulb,,I've known a bulb element make and brake,,,not work then work,,
Ken.

So maybe first thing is to change the bulb?

macafee2 14th February 2019 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by fontaine666 (Post 2711338)
So maybe first thing is to change the bulb?

If you are able to remove the bulb and connect it to 12v so it lights, shake it and see if it goes out.

If all is good

check the silver side and base of the bulb for corrosion and also the side and base of holder. Clean as required

Hopefully these two checks should reveal the culprit.

macafee2

slovcan 14th February 2019 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2711350)
If you are able to remove the bulb and connect it to 12v so it lights, shake it and see if it goes out.

If all is good

check the silver side and base of the bulb for corrosion and also the side and base of holder. Clean as required

Hopefully these two checks should reveal the culprit.

macafee2

Also, have a look at the solder contact points on the bulb. They will get concave over time and cause increased resistance that can trip a bulb out warning in some cars. I had an Infiniti Q45 that I would replace the bulbs every 2 or 3 years because of this. Always buy the LL (Long Life) bulbs. They are worth the extra dollar or so. I have also had bulbs with the filament doing the make and break thing for a little while before finally blowing.

Cheers,
Glenn

fontaine666 14th February 2019 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovcan (Post 2711361)
Also, have a look at the solder contact points on the bulb. They will get concave over time and cause increased resistance that can trip a bulb out warning in some cars. I had an Infiniti Q45 that I would replace the bulbs every 2 or 3 years because of this. Always buy the LL (Long Life) bulbs. They are worth the extra dollar or so. I have also had bulbs with the filament doing the make and break thing for a little while before finally blowing.

Cheers,
Glenn

Had all the bulbs out, they all look fine, no corrosion anywhere on bulb or connector, odd. Will change the bulb anyway and see if that works.