The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Redfive's clutch? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289356)

FLYING BANANA 21st October 2018 18:54

Redfive's clutch?

If driven sensibly. What is the average life on the clutch on a diesel? As it looks like Redfive's is about to give up. Currently on 155k.
It's had two clutches so far in it's life that I'm aware of.

Number 6 21st October 2018 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2679826)
If driven sensibly. What is the average life on the clutch on a diesel? As it looks like Redfive's is about to give up. Currently on 155k.
It's had two clutches so far in it's life that I'm aware of.

Well up to now my diesel is on it fourth clutch and it is on 178,000 k

But to put that in perspective :-

the original did 78K before it started slipping.

The next two were only changed due to the slaves giving up,And upon inspection the driven plate on both were still in good condition.

The last one has only been in for about 1500 miles so keeping my finger crossed;)

75driver 21st October 2018 19:10

Not sure of the average clutch life, but my original is on 110k and feels fine.
I guess I’m on borrowed time though.🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithA 21st October 2018 19:21

I have just bought a tourer on 133k and it has a very full history, last changed at 30k due to slave failure. At purchase time I (correctly) budgeted for replacement, as I discovered today that at full beans I can just make it slip.

Last one had a partial history, I believe it was original and I changed it at 115k due to it slipping.

My theory is around 100k with mixed driving unless the slave goes which can make it sooner.

K.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

maxi_crawf 22nd October 2018 13:02

I had the original factory fitted clutch replaced on my conny at 194K, the DMF was good and the clutch plate had a few more miles left on it according to Andy Willi, he also replaced the clutch in one of Trikeys at the same time, it had if I remember correctly about 224K on the clock.

Sonic ZS 22nd October 2018 20:28

I think it's very difficult to give a figure on this Bob, depends very much on whether the car is used for stop-start inner city driving, or spends all it's time on the bypass in top gear.

My previous Astra van (often used for towing 1000-1500kg, but always long trips) was still on it's original clutch when I sold it around 185k, yet I know of a dear old chap that managed to burn through a new Ford Ka clutch in just 7k...:eek: Unfortunately, he was becoming hard of hearing and the Ka didn't have a rev counter, so slipping the clutch became a regular occurrence ! Ford agreed to replace it under warranty but specified they'd only do it once :}

I put a new clutch in my Discovery (again, always towing, as you know ;)) around 160k due to a squealing noise. However, that turned out to be a loose mounting bracket within the bellhousing, whilst the original friction plate looked like new with the manufacturers grooves still clearly showing. But having removed the gearbox, the new clutch and DMF was fitted anyway.

david75 22nd October 2018 22:10

I had a 1.8T for several years during which I took it from about 70k miles to 115k miles. It came to me with complete service history which had no mention of any clutch work, and I never had any done. So I assume that when I sold the car, the 115k was on the original clutch.

(My current cars are both autos, so can't offer any further insight!)

FLYING BANANA 23rd October 2018 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by david75 (Post 2680147)
I had a 1.8T for several years during which I took it from about 70k miles to 115k miles. It came to me with complete service history which had no mention of any clutch work, and I never had any done. So I assume that when I sold the car, the 115k was on the original clutch.

(My current cars are both autos, so can't offer any further insight!)

Banana, 1.8t, is on her original clutch and is on 202,200 miles.
Redfive is yet to reach 160,000 and this will be her third clutch.
The Bear's is not run in yet, only on 55,090.

andy willi 24th October 2018 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2680185)
Banana, 1.8t, is on her original clutch and is on 202,200 miles.
Redfive is yet to reach 160,000 and this will be her third clutch.
The Bear's is not run in yet, only on 55,090.

i put the last clutch in redfive about 5 years ago if i remember right did not check the mileage though,
andy

Split_Pin 25th October 2018 11:36

As above I think it depends completely on the driving style and conditions.

My old Megane had over 160,000 on the clock when I sold it on, and I am almost certain that it was the original.

My current 75 CDT has 106k and as the previous owner had it for 10 years, kept all the service history (even old tax discs) and there is no evidence of a new clutch so I can only assume it's the original Feels fine so far, very smooth.