The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My tractor's taken up smoking... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=249856)

hogweed 25th July 2016 10:34

My tractor's taken up smoking...

My last couple of cars were performance machines, and getting the Rover was a deliberate statement to myself that it was time, in my old age, to calm down – difficult at first, but now very relaxing, I find.

Point being that I drive around pretty slowly, never really give it any welly. But the other night I did, as some guy in an Audi and baseball cap was investigating my rear bumper a bit too closely and, after keeping him at 25mph for about 15 miles, I lost patience and decided to test my 160 re-map.

It had the desired effect, but I think more due to the fact that he disappeared in a massive grey haze than that I was necessarily faster than him!

Is the idea that giving the car some stick after months of cruising around slowly “clears it out” an old wives’ tale, or is my motor trying to tell me something?

klarzy 25th July 2016 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2335744)
My last couple of cars were performance machines, and getting the Rover was a deliberate statement to myself that it was time, in my old age, to calm down – difficult at first, but now very relaxing, I find.

Point being that I drive around pretty slowly, never really give it any welly. But the other night I did, as some guy in an Audi and baseball cap was investigating my rear bumper a bit too closely and, after keeping him at 25mph for about 15 miles, I lost patience and decided to test my 160 re-map.

It had the desired effect, but I think more due to the fact that he disappeared in a massive grey haze than that I was necessarily faster than him!

Is the idea that giving the car some stick after months of cruising around slowly “clears it out” an old wives’ tale, or is my motor trying to tell me something?

I would check and clean your intercooler, turbo and intercooler hoses, intercooler elbow O-rings, egr valve and flexi (if not removed) and clean out the intake manifold and PCV filter....

Then try giving it some welly...

first-things-first 25th July 2016 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2335744)

As Peter says, but any diesel will put out some smoke if given the full beans (in a responsible manner, of course ;)).

Soot collects in the exhaust and is some of the cause of the smoke when clearing it's throat.

Italian tune ups are good for diesels, once in a while. They run best at motorway speeds.

hogweed 25th July 2016 11:45

Thanks guys – has no EGR, and got a new PCV filter a few months ago, but I’ll give it an Italian Job or two before doing anything else, as I can’t really do things like that myself any more, so would have to take it to the garage :duh:

mystabe 25th July 2016 15:35

They do that if you've been pootling around for a bit, once it's cleared it's throat though it won't do it again for a while.

Nothing to worry about if it's been serviced regularly and running well otherwise.

TomRS 26th July 2016 14:51

I find this on any car.. my RS6 is the worst, if you pootle around and then give it the beans there's usually a large black trail upon first throttle opening.

Personally a good rev through one or two gears when fully warmed up on a journey that you can do so then do it.

I always give any car a bit of stick when its warmed up, the amout of NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- that usually comes out is crazy!
Take the ZTT i've just got, took it for a real good blast down some b roads, no smoke or anything like that but since giving it a good "clean out"
it drives so much smoother and feels more responsive.

Next on the list is lpg filters and plugs, already done the engine/gearbox oil/pas fluid

hogweed 26th July 2016 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRS (Post 2336436)
Personally a good rev through one or two gears when fully warmed up on a journey that you can do so then do it.

Cheers, will do. All I need is an Audi to sit behind me to assess the smoke output - don't know anybody do you :D

TomRS 27th July 2016 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2336473)
Cheers, will do. All I need is an Audi to sit behind me to assess the smoke output - don't know anybody do you :D

I have one and when you gas me out i'll do a v10 driveby haha!

hogweed 8th September 2016 10:12

Interestingly, I’ve been doing more longish-distance driving lately, and driving VERY gently to see what sort of mpg I can get.

Car had its MOT on Tuesday, and failed on emissions. The garage put some sort of cleaner in it, and told me to give it an Italian tune-up – I did, brought it back, and it passed.

What does the cleaner do, exactly, to improve emissions? Or was it irrelevant, and just the good thrash that brought it back within acceptable limits?

klarzy 8th September 2016 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2360648)
Interestingly, I’ve been doing more longish-distance driving lately, and driving VERY gently to see what sort of mpg I can get.

Car had its MOT on Tuesday, and failed on emissions. The garage put some sort of cleaner in it, and told me to give it an Italian tune-up – I did, brought it back, and it passed.

What does the cleaner do, exactly, to improve emissions? Or was it irrelevant, and just the good thrash that brought it back within acceptable limits?

most cleaners are just highly refined fuel, sometimes with charged particles in which bond to contaminates and get blown out of the exhaust... they also burn hot and can shake loose carbon etc...

I normally run the tank very low and put 2 bottles of injector cleaner in just before a 3rd gear run to work (10 miles) to clear everything through... works well...