The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bitten the bullet - getting the clutch done (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299799)

Gigagator 7th October 2019 15:10

Bitten the bullet - getting the clutch done

The clutch on my 75 has always had a biting point nearly on the floor, even since I bought it over 2 years ago with 50000 miles on the clock - now on 75000 miles!

I bled the clutch some months back but it made little lasting difference. In all this time it hasn't really got any worse, until about a week ago...

It's now so bad that I'm struggling to get it into gear, even with my foot mashed as hard as possible on the clutch.

Basically the clutch always seems to be dragging and it's now becoming undriveable.

So I've booked it in for a brand new clutch, slave and master cylinder tomorrow.

Bit of a kick in the teeth at £650, but I've had a look at alternatives such as buying another used car (Rover or otherwise), a new car on finance, leasing and nothing stacks up financially so I've decided to just go with it since I love the car.

I don't understand when people call you a nutter and say 'It's more than the cars worth'. But what are the alternatives? Buy another used motor for £800 but then need to spend however much getting it up to scratch for daily dependability. A PCP/leased car at £1500 deposit then £200 a month?

Sorry but the financials of replacing the 75 don't make sense to me!

Raven Black 7th October 2019 16:28

yr car

So true - couldn't agree more.

rab60bit 7th October 2019 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigagator (Post 2767210)
The clutch on my 75 has always had a biting point nearly on the floor, even since I bought it over 2 years ago with 50000 miles on the clock - now on 75000 miles!

I bled the clutch some months back but it made little lasting difference. In all this time it hasn't really got any worse, until about a week ago...

It's now so bad that I'm struggling to get it into gear, even with my foot mashed as hard as possible on the clutch.

Basically the clutch always seems to be dragging and it's now becoming undriveable.

So I've booked it in for a brand new clutch, slave and master cylinder tomorrow.

Bit of a kick in the teeth at £650, but I've had a look at alternatives such as buying another used car (Rover or otherwise), a new car on finance, leasing and nothing stacks up financially so I've decided to just go with it since I love the car.

I don't understand when people call you a nutter and say 'It's more than the cars worth'. But what are the alternatives? Buy another used motor for £800 but then need to spend however much getting it up to scratch for daily dependability. A PCP/leased car at £1500 deposit then £200 a month?

Sorry but the financials of replacing the 75 don't make sense to me!

Are we talking KV6 (which is what I have)/T1.8 or diesel because I'm not far off coming to the same decisionmaking - £650 including a new master cylinder seems a reasonable top price for a KV6, a very good price for a diesel.

Gigagator 7th October 2019 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by rab60bit (Post 2767233)
Are we talking KV6 (which is what I have)/T1.8 or diesel because I'm not far off coming to the same decisionmaking - £650 including a new master cylinder seems a reasonable top price for a KV6, a very good price for a diesel.

Nah it's just a boggo standard 1.8 non-turbo.

Don't know how well the price stacks up to be honest but I was actually expecting more than that so was pleasantly surprised.

Plus the garage I use, J&P Autos in Cardiff, are very very good so hopefully worth it.

Comfortably Numb 7th October 2019 18:17

I was quoted £600 - £800 for anew clutch and slave on my CDT, depending on whether it needed a new DMF. An ex-Rover dealer, still with all the tools, also quoted me £800; wouldn't do it without replacing the dmf. I decided to do it myself, with help from an experienced Rover owner who had done his. Time consuming and annoying at times. Not a job I would want to pay a garage for that didn't know what they were doing, ie with previous experience. They would likely mess up, or take short cuts, and still charge extra for additional time taken. Someone who knows what they are doing will do it right, and in the shortest time necessary to do it properly. I silicon lubed the guide tube to ensure smooth operation, after wet & dry sanding out minor burrs and scratches, caused by a disintegrating thrust bearing. Light and as smooth as silk now!

trikey 7th October 2019 18:17

Just for reference I will fit the three piece clutch kit (Luk or Borg and beck) for £500.

Olde faithful 7th October 2019 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2767260)
Just for reference I will fit the three piece clutch kit (Luk or Borg and beck) for £500.

Just got mine done on Saturday LUK three section in mine and Slave and master and 2 year warranty for £630, the clutch is the lightest i have ever driven in a R75 CDT now even when brand new.

Had it back two days done 180 miles no problem, going down cornwall next week theres another 700 miles on test

macafee2 7th October 2019 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olde faithful (Post 2767284)
Just got mine done on Saturday LUK three section in mine and Slave and master and 2 year warranty for £630, the clutch is the lightest i have ever driven in a R75 CDT now even when brand new.

Had it back two days done 180 miles no problem, going down cornwall next week theres another 700 miles on test

It is not really when the engine is cruising that's the problem, its the pressing and depressing of the clutch pedal.
Did mine last year, as you say, very light.

good luck

macafee2

COLVERT 7th October 2019 22:16

There's always the possibility that it was just the master cylinder.----------:duh:

victorgte 8th October 2019 10:11

Every manual 75 I’ve driven had a heavy clutch pedal. Is this an indication of near failure or just a 75 characteristic?