The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hold on to the75&ZT? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309321)

mileshawk56 18th November 2020 10:46

Hold on to the75&ZT?

No IC motorcars to be sold 9years hence. Will that make our cars more valued I wonder? Chris.S.

wraymond 18th November 2020 11:07

Certainly to those who wisely already own one. Or two.

coolguy 18th November 2020 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2848977)
Certainly to those who wisely already own one. Or two.

...or FIVE (plus 11 other classics from 1971 to 2005)

Saga Lout 18th November 2020 11:57

I don't think so...

This idea is a good one but it won't happen, the money made from oil is too great so big money will change hands to make it go away. There's also an issue of big oil suppliers in the middle east not having anything to trade with, no sales means countries will run out of money, no money means no food and there will be conflict. There are many countries that cannot grow their own foods because the lands are barren, they have oil to sell and their economies work alongside oil supplies to western nations. I think it will put east against west very fast should it happen.

wraymond 18th November 2020 12:59

A lot in what you say. That part of the world is on a knife edge anyway being virtually entirely dependent on oil. It is also fractious and descends into anarchy at the best of times. Volatile in the extreme.

steve-45 18th November 2020 13:31

I have a strange feeling that after 2030 it will be financially ruinious to own a vehicle with an ICE engine.

Watch VED and fuel taxes rocket

mileshawk56 18th November 2020 16:07

Im sure thats right Steve but I would put money on the same happening to Electric vehicles as soon as can be done without the howls of rage being to deafening. Maybe we will end up like Fred Astaire in his car in "on the beach" (1959?60)? Chris.S.

mileshawk56 18th November 2020 16:08

Correction "too" Chris S.

genpk 18th November 2020 20:38

, saw a program the other day regarding electric car sales over here .
A buyer went to a car dealer, asked about buying a new electric car, cost was about $65k Aud , he asked how long the batteries lasted, about 8 years they replied, then asked how much to change the batteries, $44k aud was the reply.
As the prospective buyers said,how do you sell the car second hand or convince
somone to buy it after 5 or 6 years of driving.
Apart from the fact it will take years to have enough charging points in a place like Australia and will not ever be able cover the massive remote areas required, there is no way people will buy a car that needs that sort of money spent on it as after you buy it, its effectively worthless.
I see your Boris has just announced accelerating green tech to take over your way by 2030.
As the UK has towns / counties all within short distances of each other it may well work but unfortunately ,in large open countries with vast distances it just wont work unless you can carry your fuel source with you.
I see the eu is stopping production of diesel engines, crazy.
I guess the USA and china will gain out of that !!

Mogodon 18th November 2020 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpk (Post 2849114)
, saw a program the other day regarding electric car sales over here .
A buyer went to a car dealer, asked about buying a new electric car, cost was about $65k Aud , he asked how long the batteries lasted, about 8 years they replied, then asked how much to change the batteries, $44k aud was the reply.
As the prospective buyers said,how do you sell the car second hand or convince
somone to buy it after 5 or 6 years of driving.
Apart from the fact it will take years to have enough charging points in a place like Australia and will not ever be able cover the massive remote areas required, there is no way people will buy a car that needs that sort of money spent on it as after you buy it, its effectively worthless.
I see your Boris has just announced accelerating green tech to take over your way by 2030.
As the UK has towns / counties all within short distances of each other it may well work but unfortunately ,in large open countries with vast distances it just wont work unless you can carry your fuel source with you.
I see the eu is stopping production of diesel engines, crazy.
I guess the USA and china will gain out of that !!

To the vast majority of new electric car drivers the cost and life of very expensive batteries and the cars residuals at 5+ yrs will not be a concern, as like the vast majority of new cars today they will be company, leased or on PCP.