The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Renault thermostat ... again!! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290805)

gadget1960 6th December 2018 18:52

Renault thermostat ... again!!

Has anyone got a pic they could share with me of the Renault thermostat when it has been ground down in order to make it fit easier to fit in the hose? just would like to see an example of one before I take the plunge or decide to get one of the in-line alloy items.
Thanks to anyone who can post up or send me a couple of detailed pics.

Davethepaint 6th December 2018 19:04

Thermostat

Dmgrs sell them there is a YouTube link on there that should help.

Vossy 6th December 2018 19:27

I did mine a couple of weeks back, I didn't grind it down and although it was a little tight it fitted into the top hose without being a female horse. I used a bit of washing up liquid in the hose and a large socket that fitted over the bulb of the thermostat to push it in.
I brought one from Euro Car Parts just to see how it worked and for £6.04 it's working well up to yet, the heater warms up much much faster and I can feel warm air with a mile, before this mod it was around 8 miles to warm up properly.

Heddy 6th December 2018 19:43

I firstly removed the hose completely. Boiled the kettle and tipped the water over the end of it, then pushed in the stat against the btm of the sink, repeated till fully in.

macafee2 6th December 2018 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davethepaint (Post 2692291)
Dmgrs sell them there is a YouTube link on there that should help.

and you don't have to grind it down to fit, at least not the one I got

macafee2

T-Cut 6th December 2018 21:50

The grinding down was mentioned in the early days of the in-line stat story. Maybe that one was a slighly larger size than others and required it. Doing so risks weakening the structure around the base if the spring housing. However, many R5 pattern stats will fit the hose with a little encouragement, typically heat and lube (!?). Anyway, the stats recommended for the job all fit out of the box.

Recommended: FirstLine, Mahler, Gates (all 88 or 89C rated)

TC

gadget1960 6th December 2018 22:06

Many many thanks to all you members that replied and cleared that up for me, very much appreciated.
I really need to get on with this mod as my temp gauge only gets about 5mm above the blue dot even after a run to Norfolk and back hahaha.
Thanks again guys.

jackatesme 6th December 2018 22:18

I used a piece of 2" plasic pipe to push mine in. Any plumbers near you.

Vossy 7th December 2018 10:57

If you buy the Gates one make sure its this one: GATES TH01489 operates at 89 degrees.
They also do TH01483, which as you can guess operates at a lower temp [83 degrees].

Welcome to a toasty warm car too :smiley:

gadget1960 7th December 2018 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692345)
I used a piece of 2" plasic pipe to push mine in. Any plumbers near you.

Good call, yes I have a length of that lying around, was wondering what I was going to 'persuade' it in with.
Thanks for the tip.