The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Have Red Bull Racing been a bit naughty? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312899)

stevestrat 12th May 2021 21:19

Have Red Bull Racing been a bit naughty?

There are accusations that Red Bull have bent (literally) the rules by using a rear wing that flexes at speed which has a similar influence on straight line speed as the DRS. FIA isn't pointing any fingers but they have contacted all teams saying it has become aware that some aerodynamic devices although rigid in a static test deflected at speed. The FIA is to carry out deflection tests and also use the cameras on the cars to monitor the wings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57086036

Darcydog 12th May 2021 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2880928)
There are accusations that Red Bull have bent (literally) the rules by using a rear wing that flexes at speed which has a similar influence on straight line speed as the DRS. FIA isn't pointing any fingers but they have contacted all teams saying it has become aware that some aerodynamic devices although rigid in a static test deflected at speed. The FIA is to carry out deflection tests and also use the cameras on the cars to monitor the wings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57086036

I’m not a materials science expert by any means but I was told by a very knowledgeable man who certainly was an expert in aircraft wing design that any wing type structure that did not flex had a short life until it broke off or broke up.

Not sure how any wing type structure can not flex?

stevestrat 12th May 2021 22:14

FIA are aware wings etc will flex to a certain degree, it all depends how it flexes. If it flexes in a way that gives an aerodynamic advantage reducing drag on the straights its deemed to be against the rules and regulations.

clf 12th May 2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2880934)
I’m not a materials science expert by any means but I was told by a very knowledgeable man who certainly was an expert in aircraft wing design that any wing type structure that did not flex had a short life until it broke off or broke up.

Not sure how any wing type structure can not flex?

F1 wings all have deflection built in, for the reason you describe, but these have proscribed tests, and obviously they have to meet these requirements. There are various directional load tests - I havent read of a pulling load test, but I imagine there will be, as the forces pushing on it would be massive, and therefore any breakage could be catastrophic to a following car. I remember teams experimenting with flexible wings that flattened under load to reduce drag (mainly the front). These were tested for and outlawed. However, I do reckon they are capable of finding loopholes either via interpretation or by manipulating known material properties.

It is interesting who leaked it publicly though - Hamilton, a non engineer, 'mentioning' it. It gives deniability to Mercedes, but at the same time, winds up the Red Bull team. This is a tactic Red Bull have used in the past, add a little doubt, puts scrutiny on the accused team. If it is proved incorrect, then it can be denied as Hamilton misunderstanding a debriefing comment. It is without class, in my view, but that is unsurprising.

Rogue 12th May 2021 23:36

It certainly appears to be flexing significantly more than the Mercedes wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWUefSl5tI

AndyN01 13th May 2021 07:09

Reminds me of something similar in the post ground effects era. Minardi ?????? had flexible side pods to recreate the seal on the sides or something like that.

F1 is all about mind games and fiddling the regs by "interpretation" Been happening for decades.

Maybe they should have the regs swapped round so that anything that isn't specifically allowed, isn't.

Or the opposite, do whatever you like within a weight/height/length/width limit.

Wouldn't that be "interesting" and kill off F1 in a few years due to teams going bankrupt :getmecoat:

Brabham fan car anyone :}.

SCP440 13th May 2021 07:39

My oldest son works for Alpina (Renault). He reckons they are all stretching the rules as much as possible.

One of the worse ones recently was Ferrari, a couple of years ago they were doing very well and it was found they were modulating there fuel pressure, it is supposed to be a max of x psi but they were averaging that pressure and it gave them about an extra 50 bhp.

They were told to fix it and since then they have been struggling.

BRG75 13th May 2021 10:50

As you say, a few years ago.

There was much secrecy around and this is the first time that I've actually heard a specific reason for their (apparently sudden) drop in performance.

Thank You

Mike

SCP440 13th May 2021 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRG75 (Post 2880998)

There was much secrecy around and this is the first time that I've actually heard a specific reason for their (apparently sudden) drop in performance.

Thank You

Mike

There is lots that goes on that the public never hear about apparently. One team were caught using an engine that was larger than it should be, I dont know by how much but it was only the fact that one of the scrutineers noticed something odd. That is also a team that were doing well and are now struggling.

The problem is the hole car is designed around an engine that produces x HP. If they produce less the aerodynamics actually hinder the new lower HP.

The other teams reckon Mercedes are cheating but they are so good at it they dont know what they are doing, its funny how Hamiltons car nearly won when George Russel drove it last year.

AndyN01 13th May 2021 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2880961)

They were told to fix it and since then they have been struggling.

And the disincentive to fiddle something is what?

When (if) you get caught you're told to fix it. Yeah, that'll stop 'em