The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   MGB or MG Midget? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300456)

Dallas 1st November 2019 20:09

MGB or MG Midget?

I'm in the market for either an MG BGT or a Midget, but cant decide. :shrug:

Does anyone have any recommendations to either model or year, or even own one that can advise what problems to look for.

Cheers fellas. ;)

FLYING BANANA 1st November 2019 20:56

Has to be a MGB/GT with chrome bumpers and chrome wire wheels.

But at the end of the day the choice will be yours.

COLVERT 1st November 2019 20:59

In just one word with those old beasties-------------------------------------

RUST.-------------:eek::eek::eek:

As for one car over the other---How wide are your shoulders as the Mg Midget really is TINY.

Dallas 1st November 2019 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2772670)
Has to be a MGB/GT with chrome bumpers and chrome wire wheels.

But at the end of the day the choice will be yours.

I totally agree with you Bob, that is what I am after. I'm really not a fan of the black rubber bumper, so if I end up with one, its a chrome bumper conversion for sure.

The wife and I looked at a 1969 MGB today, the photos made the car look pristine, but in real life the car was quite tatty, rust in the usual places. The owner wanted £4,500, but I managed to knock the price down to £3,500, but still I wasn't happy, it just didn't feel right, so we walked away... I am so gutted, as it was tartan red. :drool4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2772671)
In just one word with those old beasties-------------------------------------

RUST.-------------:eek::eek::eek:

As for one car over the other---How wide are your shoulders as the Mg Midget really is TINY.

Bit like the F and TF's Jon, the B we looked at today had the usual hole in the boot floor, I can see why so many end up having new floor-pans welded.

The midgets definitely have the correct name, they don't seem to have room even for the accelerator pedal... :eek:

Teflon 2nd November 2019 09:42

If it's any help, my brother is a keen MG lover and had a lovely MG Midget in the past, alongside an MG B and a Roadster.

He very reluctantly sold the midget, as lovely as it was, as it was simply too small and consequently didn't get driven as much as the others.

He still has the B and the Roadster, and has replaced the Midget with a TF which he uses as his "everyday" car.

Cliff

COLVERT 2nd November 2019 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2772681)
I totally agree with you Bob, that is what I am after. I'm really not a fan of the black rubber bumper, so if I end up with one, its a chrome bumper conversion for sure.

The wife and I looked at a 1969 MGB today, the photos made the car look pristine, but in real life the car was quite tatty, rust in the usual places. The owner wanted £4,500, but I managed to knock the price down to £3,500, but still I wasn't happy, it just didn't feel right, so we walked away... I am so gutted, as it was tartan red. :drool4:

Bit like the F and TF's Jon, the B we looked at today had the usual hole in the boot floor, I can see why so many end up having new floor-pans welded.

The midgets definitely have the correct name, they don't seem to have room even for the accelerator pedal... :eek:

Those were desirable cars in my younger days but they, like many others, didn't seem to have any rust proofing.--:eek:

The rust when it took hold seemed to accelerate faster than the cars.

I had friends with MGBs and one with an MG midget.

In the midget you sat shoulder firmly to shoulder. Fine if you were Gay.---:D
But OK if it was a voluptuous girl friend.---:lovebirds:

Jdwoodhou 2nd November 2019 10:17

I think you should avoid a Midget on safety grounds. I know someone whose friend died crushed in a side impact as the car pre-dates modern safety standards. I was a passenger in a Midget which slid sideways into a mini-roundabout at quite a slow speed and the passenger door just folded in towards me when it hit a road sign, so I avoid them now. If you must buy one, be aware that the ones with rounded rear arches have less rear impact protection than the squared off ones, which I believe is the reason the design changed back to square openings later.

ceedy 2nd November 2019 10:38

Midget all the way :D purely on my preference ...

but both.. beware rust and the Midget being so low and vulnerable..:eek:

ratchet 2nd November 2019 10:48

Neither...............have you considered a Reliant Scimitar ? Particularly an SE5 or SE5A

Will carry 4 people and luggage.
Nowhere near the amount of rust issues - as long as the chassis is strong.
Strong mechanicals
Better performance than a MGB or Midget
Cheaper to buy.

Number 6 2nd November 2019 13:34

I have had both the Midget and the "B" Would I have one now ? NO,The midget is to small The "B" rusts like it is going out of fashion.Performance wise they are both dire.There has been this persona built up around these cars that makes them out to be far better than they are.

There are far more attractive cars around for similar money;)

But at the end of the day it is entirely up to you..:}

MissMoppet 2nd November 2019 15:07

I used to run an MGB GT with wire wheels - thought it was the dog's b . . . s. Fancied another a few years ago but I thought the ride was so hard. OK in a straight line, but found a Stag far far better. Bit dearer though now.

Dallas 2nd November 2019 15:13

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

I think I'm in agreement with the Midget being too small, you do feel very vulnerable when sat in one, the B's aren't any better really, but I do luv the shape of the BGT. My auntie had one many year ago when I was about 8 years old, I was fixated on the dashboard with the chrome dials, I felt like I was in a James Bond movie, I'm not sure why???

I have searched other old classics and did come across the Reliant Scimitar, its certainly a contender, its just there are so many MGB's still on the roads, and being a MG fan, I thought why not... will go well alongside the TF. ;)

I was at my local SWVA classic car auction last week, they had three MGB's, one being a V8 which sold for around 20k, the other two had rust issues and I'm sure there were signs of HGF on the one that I liked... :getmecoat: I came across a Hillman Super Minx which I also liked, there was just something special about it, only sold for 3k but I didn't know enough about it, so I didn't bid. :duh:

We have been out to look another MGB this morning, but we had to walk away once again, there was far too much rust for my liking, this is obviously the problem I'm up against. It seems many sellers do not always tell the truth when selling their vehicle, the listings are never truthful. :mad:

On the way home though, we stopped off at Southampton to do a bit of shopping (had to keep the wife happy;)) and I couldn't help be amazed by this huge ship embedded into the distance. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Southampton certainly does amaze me, we don't go there often, but when we do, I feel like I have stepped into the future. lol :eek:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1572711338

SideValve 2nd November 2019 17:13

In my youth I had a Midget then an MGB GT.
The Midget was great fun but the first car I lost money on as it was rusting before my eyes so I sold it with only a short MOT. I'm 6'3" and fitted ok. But yep, don't have an accident in one. A friend did in his Sprite and had a steering wheel shaped dent in his chest for a while - no collapsible column.

The MGB GT was great. I had it for 9 years and its the only car I've ever sold and bought back. I'd do it again if I could find SEA 307L. But again, it did rust. It had the sills replaced when only 12 years old, and needed them doing again a few years later (to be fair, don't think the first job was that great).
Lovely car to drive, I can confirm they'll do 105mph :¬) and will average 25mpg in normal use. The handling is safe, predictable & fun. They are dead easy to work on. I did the big end at about 100k in the road with help from my 7 year old.
Personally if I was to buy another I'd just use any rust (check the inner sills & spring hangers) as a bargaining point then budget to spend the money. The mechanics are easy to maintain (grease the king-pins regularly) and they don't depreciate.
Having said all that my last two MGs have been MGFs. They lack the classic vibe but are enormous fun round corners (get decent tyres) are easy to live with, again don't depreciate and do 40 mpg :¬)

COLVERT 2nd November 2019 18:27

Now don't forget when you go searching to take a very important piece of kit with you.

It's a small, not too strong magnet. Find the filler that's hidden by all that polished paint and wax.

The magnet can see right through that disguise.---:D:D:D

Rogue 2nd November 2019 19:36

https://i.imgur.com/ZjFgHM4h.jpg

My fathers old GT. Was offered it free when he bought his current Minor traveller. Made the same year i was born and i often regret turning it down but i had nowhere to keep it undercover so wouldn't have been good for it.

Was a solid thing with no appreciable rust and drove very nicely. It kinda smelt right inside too :}

Dallas 2nd November 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2772906)
https://i.imgur.com/ZjFgHM4h.jpg

My fathers old GT. Was offered it free when he bought his current Minor traveller. Made the same year i was born and i often regret turning it down but i had nowhere to keep it undercover so wouldn't have been good for it.

Was a solid thing with no appreciable rust and drove very nicely. It kinda smelt right inside too :}

That has everything I want in a B, its red, chrome bumper model, also a chrome grill, wire wheels and also has the front scoop valance. :drool4:

Rogue 2nd November 2019 20:26

Quote:

and also has the front scoop valance.
Apparently they were not very common...

It is certainly a pretty thing and i might be accused of heresy but i much prefer the look of a GT compared to a Roadster.

Dallas 2nd November 2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2772926)
Apparently they were not very common...

It is certainly a pretty thing and i might be accused of heresy but i much prefer the look of a GT compared to a Roadster.

Yep! I agree, the GT looks more stylish, and I guess the Roadster is more fun, but if you get a GT with a Webasto roof, its fun, fun, fun all the way. ;)

mininuts 2nd November 2019 21:15

Midget for me Wes.........they’re bigger than a Mini ;) :}

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...dffafa573a.jpg

Raven Black 3rd November 2019 07:01

Mgb GT

I am on my 5th MGBGT. I got my first one 1969 model when I was 19 years old and drove it all over Zambia and Zimbabwe where I was living at the time, went over rough gravel roads no problem. I then bought a red one in the UK 1972 model and shipped it to South Africa where I used it for long journeys and had it for over 10 years. When I moved to the USA I got a lhd one, drove it from LA to Miami then had it there for 2 years till I left.
When I came to the UK I bought a 1981 model, then a1978 one which I have now had as a daily runner for 5 years.

They are quite simply one of the best, most reliable, practical cars to own. Has to be a gt as with the back seat down, can carry a surprising amount of things.

I will always have one as cheap to run and fun to drive.

Dorset Bob 4th November 2019 16:29

After our chat yesterday Wes, I have had a couple of Midgets, an early 1275cc and a rubber bumper 1500cc that I acquired from my Father.
Also an MGB GT and a MGB Roadster, which was a Heritage shell rebuild.
Here is the car the day I sold it, shortly after my son was born.

https://live.staticflickr.com/2183/1...b6342ef5_b.jpg

My son is now 16 years old.
This was my favourite MG, I loved that car. ;)

It had a pack away hood, which was assembled rather like a frame tent and the poles for the structure and the hood lived in the boot.
A bit of a pain to put up and down, but gave the car a lovely clean look, when the roof was off. ;)
I remember, one hot summer we drove to Bruges and Amsterdam with the roof down for a couple of weeks.

Worth quite a bit now, I suppose.
Despite the reg, it wasn't Naf at all. :D

Dallas 4th November 2019 19:07

Superb picture Bob, or should I say Daniel O'Donnell. :D :getmecoat:

Don't they grow up fast Bob, 16 years goes by with a blink of an eye, and that car is a thing of beauty, I bet you wish you had kept it now. The car is still alive Bob, its got a current MOT until 3rd June 2020, the MOT history is pretty impressive for a 51 year old stunner. :drool4:

Have you got a pic of your GT Bob, that would be good to see? ;)

Discofan 4th November 2019 19:58

A chrome bumper red MGB roadster on chrome wire wheels, does it get any more "classic car" than that?
Id happily have one in my garage to sit alongside my Mk1 Mini :D

Dallas 4th November 2019 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discofan (Post 2773441)
A chrome bumper red MGB roadster on chrome wire wheels, does it get any more "classic car" than that?
Id happily have one in my garage to sit alongside my Mk1 Mini :D

I agree. ;)

Does anyone know why MG decided to put the silly huge black rubber bumpers on such a lovely classic shaped car, what were they thinking? :shrug:

Sorry to the black bumper lovers. :getmecoat:

trikey 4th November 2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2773447)
I agree. ;)

Does anyone know why MG decided to put the silly huge black rubber bumpers on such a lovely classic shaped car, what were they thinking? :shrug:

Sorry to the black bumper lovers. :getmecoat:

You can blame the yanks Wes, in the mid 70's the rubber bumpers were fitted in line with regulations in certain states.

Raven Black 4th November 2019 21:19

Rubber bumpers

Well I like mine, I can just run it into the wall to park it at home, jolly convenient!

Arie-MG 5th November 2019 11:40

1 Attachment(s)
Midget al the way!!

Bought mine when I was 20, restored it and still have it at 45!
Excelent machine which makes you feel you go fast!
Mine has a 160bhp K-engine in with 5 speed (ford) gearbox, great pocketrocket.
Room enough and im 1.84mtr.
Took it to every corner in the UK, done the Alps, anual weekend on the NurnburgRing and trackdays.
There is Always something you like to improve on it so its a great hobby!

I dont see being in a small car in modern traffic as dangerous but there is one tip to make sure people dont run you over: drive faster then anybody else! :D

Dallas 5th November 2019 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie-MG (Post 2773571)
Midget al the way!!

Bought mine when I was 20, restored it and still have it at 45!
Excelent machine which makes you feel you go fast!
Mine has a 160bhp K-engine in with 5 speed (ford) gearbox, great pocketrocket.
Room enough and im 1.84mtr.
Took it to every corner in the UK, done the Alps, anual weekend on the NurnburgRing and trackdays.
There is Always something you like to improve on it so its a great hobby!

I dont see being in a small car in modern traffic as dangerous but there is one tip to make sure people dont run you over: drive faster then anybody else! :D

Thanks for the write up, I love the fact that you have kept it all this time, certainly makes the car very special, well done. ;)

rob dean 6th November 2019 18:18

I'll never forget the first time I drove an MGB - it was thoroughly awful - cramped, harsh, noisy and slow, to say nothing of the rust, reliability and safety issues. Soooo disappointing. I may be wrong but can only imagine the Midget is worse.... Each to their own, but if it has to be a 2 seater ragtop then I would say avoid these stone age disasters and buy an MX5.

Dallas 7th November 2019 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob dean (Post 2773866)
I'll never forget the first time I drove an MGB - it was thoroughly awful - cramped, harsh, noisy and slow, to say nothing of the rust, reliability and safety issues. Soooo disappointing. I may be wrong but can only imagine the Midget is worse.... Each to their own, but if it has to be a 2 seater ragtop then I would say avoid these stone age disasters and buy an MX5.

You just may well be correct, I'm beginning to share your views, why the prices of these things are on the rise is beyond me. They look the part, but driving one is another matter, someone remind me again why I want to buy one? :shrug:

Dorset Bob 7th November 2019 20:15

Because they are in a different league than driving something like a VW Golf.
They offer character. ;)

Dallas 7th November 2019 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2774075)
They offer character. ;)

I hope you are right Bob, I just need to find the right one, otherwise its plan B... LOL, or should I say plan C.

mininuts 7th November 2019 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774060)
You just may well be correct, I'm beginning to share your views, why the prices of these things are on the rise is beyond me. They look the part, but driving one is another matter, someone remind me again why I want to buy one? :shrug:

Because hairdressers drive MX5s Wes :D :getmecoat:

Dallas 7th November 2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mininuts (Post 2774087)
Because hairdressers drive MX5s Wes :D :getmecoat:

Lol Paul, that must be why I own a TF. ;)

macafee2 8th November 2019 09:00

I saw a lovely 1960's MGB GT in Lyndhurst yesterday.
They may not have great engines or rides but they have character, something new cars just don't have.

macafee2

mileshawk56 8th November 2019 10:05

Yes as said the rubberbumpers were to make them legal in the USA, I believe California was the prime mover. The other thing that makes the rubber bumper models less attractive the ride height was adjusted and they(MG) just inserted metal spacers to adjust. A lot of these cars have been reconverted to the pre-USA standard so watch out if you view one for dates of manufacture and re-imports. And I agree with Rob Dean, consider/drive an MX5, but also I wouldn't be seen dead in a VW Golf or for that matter any VW.:D:D Chris.S.

Dorset Bob 8th November 2019 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774083)
I hope you are right Bob, I just need to find the right one, otherwise its plan B... LOL, or should I say plan C.

A, B or C. Why not all three?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0915ff23_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7d224680_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0f585632_z.jpg

I found the MGC, not as agile as the MGB to drive. I suppose the, very heavy, cast iron 3 litre straight 6 doesn't want to change direction that quickly. ;)
A rarer car though and there is one just down the road for sale.
:smilie_re: http://www.mikerolls.co.uk/carsales.html
I reckon that you should whip 23 grand out of your wallet and get one of those too! :D

Dorset Bob 8th November 2019 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2773423)

..........Have you got a pic of your GT Bob, that would be good to see? ;)

Sadly not to hand. I owned it prior to the digital photography being commonly available. There might be an old photo in the loft. :D

It was harvest gold, with overdrive and a large webasto sunroof.
I don't even remember the reg no. :o apart from the fact it was on an M reg, but was an earlier 1971 manufacture imported from the Channel Islands.
A result at the time, because the cut off used to be 1972 for road tax exemption and I got the car reclassified with a heritage certificate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mininuts (Post 2774087)
Because hairdressers drive MX5s Wes ........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774089)

Check out Paul's hairstyle! ;) :D:getmecoat:

mininuts 8th November 2019 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774089)

Real men and baldies drive MGs Wes........hairdressers and girlies drive MX5s, it’s a well known fact :D :getmecoat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2774157)
Check out Paul's hairstyle! ;) :D:getmecoat:

:conehead::rofl::rofl:

rob dean 8th November 2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2774075)
They offer character. ;)

It all depends on what your priorities are. The "character" offered by old MGs is something I'm very happy to live without, but if these cars float your boat, then so be it. I'll stick with my Golf.:}

Dallas 8th November 2019 19:28

Thanks lads. ;)

Well! The MGB nearly turned out to be a Ford Capri :eek:

I have just literally got back home from looking at a 1978 Ford Capri with a gorgeous 70's red interior, it was only a 1.6GL, but what a marvellous 5 hours the wife and I just had.

Its been 23 years since I drove a Ford Capri, and its was everything I remember it to be, we were catapulted back in time, it was like time stood still for a moment. :D

For a 41 year old car she was in great shape, solid underneath, all work had been done regarding rust and welding, just some surface rust on the body here and there, that was all.

However! The blooming brakes didn't work :eek: she even has an MOT till next year, WTF? I reckon the brake servo needs replacing, or a complete brake system overhaul. The seller is going to try and get it sorted and let me know, I haggled on the price, but he wants to get the brakes sorted and keep the asking price as is, otherwise it would be sat on my drive now.

I'm really gutted, I really thought I would be driving home in a Capri tonight, what a wonderful feeling it would have been, it still may happen if they can get the brakes sorted and keep me informed, watch this space... ;)

Otherwise its back looking at MGB's. :}

Kerthan23 8th November 2019 19:42

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...919db24773.jpg

Good choice and as much as I like capri's I do like mgb gt aswell, here is mine 48000 miles 1974 gt that I have owned for over 15 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerthan23 8th November 2019 19:49

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3c4dfd6322.jpg

My brothers mgb gt that he's owned for 25 years now, Capri will fit 4 people and still have a boot but mg just a bit to small to fit our greyhound in as when he was in the mg when I was driving his head was out the webasto roof haha and people kept pointing and laughing at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas 8th November 2019 19:58

Oh wow! the Capri and the B are stunning. :drool4:

The Capri I looked at this evening was also white, white with a red interior, it was a 1978 MK3. :drool4:

I couldn't sleep last night for excitement, and now I'm blooming gutted, the wife kept telling me not to build my hopes up... :getmecoat:

Why do people advertise vehicles with problems, I don't mind a few little niggly issues here and there, but you need the brakes to be working, slightly important for ones safety. :eek: :shrug:

That's 5 hours of my life wasted, why do we do these daft things? for the luv of cars I guess. :duh:

Ian G 8th November 2019 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774281)
Oh wow! the Capri and the B are stunning. :drool4:

The Capri I looked at this evening was also white, white with a red interior, it was a 1978 MK3. :drool4:

I couldn't sleep last night for excitement, and now I'm blooming gutted, the wife kept telling me not to build my hopes up... :getmecoat:

Why do people advertise vehicles with problems, I don't mind a few little niggly issues here and there, but you need the brakes to be working, slightly important for ones safety. :eek: :shrug:

That's 5 hours of my life wasted, why do we do these daft things? for the luv of cars I gues. :duh:

Save ya money Wes
This is all you need to buy mate..
https://shop.penguin.co.uk/products/...k-and-mix-book

Dallas 8th November 2019 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2774284)
Save ya money Wes
This is all you need to buy mate..
https://shop.penguin.co.uk/products/...k-and-mix-book

Yep! I reckon you're right Ian, that is what Tracey keeps telling me. :D

Motorbike next. lol

Ian G 8th November 2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2774287)
Yep! I reckon you're right Ian, that is what Tracey keeps telling me. :D

Motorbike next. lol

Bike is good but not a Harley.. You're nowhere near old enough to have a Harley..

trikey 8th November 2019 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian G (Post 2774295)
Bike is good but not a Harley.. You're nowhere near old enough to have a Harley..

In that case my midlife crisis started at 18 :D

Chris68 9th November 2019 09:29

in reply to some of the above comments re midgets I own a Austin healy sprite which is the same car as a midget ,which I have owned for the last eighteen years and I enjoy nothing more than taking it out on a nice sunny day with the hood down and listening to the sound of that engine when going though the gears is bags of fun, as far as the comments regarding rust is concerned these cars don't rust any more than any other car of that era what ever car your hoping to buy,dont let some of the comments on here put you off if you buy any car of that age its best to take someone with you that knows how to check the over not just for rust but for any other faults, just because it has shiny paintwork does not make it a good car regards chris

Kerthan23 9th November 2019 18:14

Classic cars

Personally buying any classic car of any type or make now is very worrisome with mot exemption now as to many cars advertised as no mot required and feel it'll encourage filled or paper mashed sills etc, I'm looking all the time for another classic or future classic, mg maestro or rover 200 coupe or cabrio top of list but before parting with my hard earned cash if been restored I'd need to see plenty pictures etc, having looked a said Capri advert I think its strong money for a project that looks possible filler bubbling through sills and bonnet and painted below bonnet???? Magnet around any car? But that me as I'd prefer to restore car my self so I'd know it's been done right as to many bad stories out now:shrug:

Dallas 12th November 2019 11:19

Update! If all goes to plan, I have a 1978 MG BGT that is being delivered to me this afternoon, call me mad as I've bought it blind. :eek:

I've not blown the budget, bought her at a good price, so there's money in the kitty to hopefully get her upto a good standard.

I guess she will be a usable rolling restoration, something for those winter months, most probably rolling into next summer, and the next, and the next, and so on. lol

Wish me luck.

Oh! Its a bloooming rubber bumper model. :duh:

Dorset Bob 12th November 2019 11:31

:wantpics:

:D:getmecoat:

Dallas 12th November 2019 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2775190)
:wantpics:

:D:getmecoat:

Cant take any yet Bob, it isn't here yet. ;)

squire 12th November 2019 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2775186)
Update! If all goes to plan, I have a 1978 MG BGT that is being delivered to me this afternoon, call me mad as I've bought it blind. :eek:

I've not blown the budget, bought her at a good price, so there's money in the kitty to hopefully get her upto a good standard.

I guess she will be a usable rolling restoration, something for those winter months, most probably rolling into next summer, and the next, and the next, and so on. lol

Wish me luck.

Oh! Its a bloooming rubber bumper model. :duh:

Mines a 78, and I bought it through rose tinted spectacles ;), some 13 years ago on a whim, thinking I'd only keep it a couple of years :getmecoat:. It's not pretty, has rusty door bottoms and rear wheel arches are going but I enjoy it. I've not spent much money on it as every year I keep saying " if it's going to cost a lot to go through the mot I'll get rid of it". Other than general wear and tear/ motoring costs the only "expensive" buy was some chrome Rostyle wheels.

Oh, and buy the way, rubber bumper models are getting more desirable as they get rarer :eek::o. Imho keep it as it is, a rubber bumper and enjoy it.;)

Martyn

Dorset Bob 12th November 2019 17:09

I think that I have posted this old picture up before, of my collection of cars at some point.
We had a couple of rubber bumper MGs in the family fleet, including his and hers MGBs :D (SWMBOs was the white one ;)) and a Midget too.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4235/3...b05e0472_c.jpg

Happy days!

Dallas 12th November 2019 17:36

2 Attachment(s)
Great photo Bob. ;)

Well! its here, talk about a step back in time, even though its a 1978, the overall design certainly does feel 60's. The brakes work, only just... better than the Capri I looked at the other day lol. Its gonna need another respray, its been resprayed already, but very badly. Oh Did I say what colour it is?

Its ORANGE :eek:

I didn't blow the budget, I was pretty much getting put off from buying one, as all the 4k and 5k MGB's we looked at all had issues, cosmetic and mechanical, its quite frightening as to why these cars hold their price TBH. :shrug:

I wonder how long I will keep it for? I'm either going to love it, or hate it??? First thing to sort out is the MOT, it don't need one, but previous owner put in for one last week and it failed, nothing major, seems to be solid underneath, apart from o/s rear sill area which was its main failure.

My thoughts so far... I'm wondering WTF have a bought? :getmecoat:

She is piggy in the middle.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1573583551

She has some new parts, brake master cylinder, some sort of carb set-up refurb etc.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1573583550

Jdwoodhou 12th November 2019 17:57

I think the orange suits it in a retro way. I agree that rubber bumper ones will become more sought after.

Dallas 12th November 2019 18:21

Roll on next summer, you just cant do much through the cold winter months, not without a nice warm spacious garage.

The old girl has come with 3 folders of paperwork, even a parts catalog, seems she has been looked after, hopefully she has.

Time to get myself a garage built. :eek:

SideValve 12th November 2019 18:38

Hopefully its just the outer sills that are rusted - lots of work if the whole structure needs doing but well worth it to keep them going.

Dorset Bob 12th November 2019 18:54

I agree with Jdwoodhou about the colour, as it captures the 1970s.
The MGB GT that I owned was Harvest Gold = -NAUGHTY WORD- brown. ;)
Most restorations are "safe" colours such as Tartan Red, Old English White or British Racing Green.

I would enjoy it as it is.

Dallas 12th November 2019 19:02

Thanks fellas. ;)

The failure on rust is just rear wheel arch end of sill, seems only a small area. I've just been under the car with a torch, seems she has a brand new shiny petrol tank, bonus. ;)

MOT advisory shows slight oil leak, I can see the leak, but don't know if its engine or gearbox. :shrug:

Dallas 12th November 2019 19:37

AMAZING! :eek:

That's the tax done, historic vehicle = £0.00 for 12 months. ;)

Dallas 12th November 2019 20:57

£75 for the insurance :eek: oh go on then. :D

Can it get any cheaper?

Dallas 12th November 2019 22:16

A long way to go to get her looking like this one. :eek: Once I saw this black beauty at Beaulieu, I just had to get one. lol

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...87&oe=5E0EB589

Peter96 13th November 2019 13:37

I have been following this thread with interest as I have always wanted a Midget or B. Unfortunately I can't get in and out of them anymore but congratulations on a new addition to your MG fleet. Can't beat a rubber bumper car in Vermilion. The bright colours seem to work best with the black bumpers. I looked at one the same colour a few years ago which looked great at about 20 feet away but decided I should get off side quickly when the Webasto roof lifted off with my hand and the passenger seat fell out the open door when I leant against it. Have fun with yours and hopefully the welding is easy to sort out.

Raven Black 13th November 2019 16:02

mine

I just got my 1978 MGBGT back from garage today, £730 to service and sort out rough running. Its my daily, never been resprayed apart from one door. Has large sunroof and full vinyl top.

Love it and wont sell it - too useful.

trikey 13th November 2019 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnorris (Post 2775458)
I just got my 1978 MGBGT back from garage today, £730 to service and sort out rough running. Its my daily, never been resprayed apart from one door. Has large sunroof and full vinyl top.

Love it and wont sell it - too useful.

Did they say what caused the rough running Jenny?

Dallas 13th November 2019 18:16

Thanks fellas. :D

I've had a better look at her today, she certainly has some bodywork issues, looks good at 20ft, just don't go any closer. lol She's had a very bad respray at some point, and there are several rust bubble areas that do need sorting. I dread to think whats behind the chrome sill covers, I think they will be staying on for now. lol

I took her out today to go see my bodyshop repair guy, he's going to sort out the bit of welding for the mot, and gave me a quote to sort out all the other issues, and it wasn't cheap. I know I bought her cheap, but blooming heck, I don't fancy paying those kind of figures, I reckon I will be doing most work myself, a long term rolling restoration me thinks... what fun that will be. :duh:

She drives ok, good oil pressure, and the overdrive works, plenty of new bits been fitted, new petrol tank, pump, new exhaust, brake master cylinder, ignition coil, plugs & leads what I can see, she also has three folders of paperwork, also a MG parts catalog... bonus. ;) She does have a oil leak, could even be coming from the gearbox, need to get her up on some ramps, see what else she is hiding. :eek:

Its certainly enjoyable to have such an old vehicle to drive and work on, great fun driving the old girl, everything just seems so simple, good old school motoring. :D

A quick photo shoot on way back from the bodyshop, she looks good in the photos, you cant see what 41 years has done to the old girl. She is certainly a proper MG that's for sure lol ;) but she needs chrome bumpers, I'm not that keen on the black rubber, plus I'm after the front scoop valance, liking that design a lot.

Warning! Alarming bright 70's orange colour. :eek:

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...97&oe=5E5A55BE

Peter96 13th November 2019 19:33

BGTs always suit a Webasto. A rolling restoration will be the best way to go. Old cars are akin to the Forth Bridge. Start at one end work to the other and then go back to where you started. I was supposed to be doing a rolling resto on a 63 Minor. Two years later its still not back on the road. Small bits and pieces as you go.

Raven Black 13th November 2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2775465)
Did they say what caused the rough running Jenny?

Sent you pm cheers

Raven Black 13th November 2019 21:31

Mgb GT

Love the colour. About same condition as mine by the looks of it.

Raven Black 13th November 2019 21:37

Mgb GT

I had to replace the sunroof and vinyl top last yr, when they took the windscreen out loads of rust, ended up costing more than half what I paid for the car to do that.
But still better than some horrible modern car.

Dallas 14th November 2019 17:40

Call me eccentric. lol :D :getmecoat:

She needs some chrome bumpers.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...dcca9702f2.jpg

Raven Black 14th November 2019 17:52

bumpers

No Rubber are really good, you can sit on them, run them into a wall, use them to get on your horse, etc etc.

squire 14th November 2019 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnorris (Post 2775725)
No Rubber are really good, you can sit on them, run them into a wall, use them to get on your horse, etc etc.

And they make great mini tables for putting a cuppa on at rallies/meets, lol. ☕🍵

Dallas 14th November 2019 21:14

I cant believe how wonderful a noise the doors make when you close them, the sound is so unique, pure heavy metal quality at its best lol. The tailgate is incredibly heavy, the sound closer is pure genius, everything just clicks shut with ease. :}

Popper old school motoring. ;)

Raven Black 14th November 2019 21:46

Mgb GT

Yes, yes so much to appreciate owning these cars

Arie-MG 15th November 2019 05:53

Congratulations on your mgbgt!
Love the collor, realy seventies.
Could be because im from 74 myself and growing up seeing these great cars arround me that they give me that nostalgic feeling.
Im kinda fond of seventies car as, beside my 75 midget, I also have a 78 Jaguar XJ6 in: Morrocan Bronze!:eek: :D

Wouldnt worry about the bumpers to much and if you ask me I prefer the mg's bumperles anyway, they have the right curves for it!:drool4:
Ive left of the rubber bumpers on my midget after ive mildly crashed the front about half a year after id finished my 3 year restoration...:duh:

What I would like to know if I was you is the condition of the bodywork behind the chrome sillcovers as thats usualy a dirt&moist trap.

Neil1 15th November 2019 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2775481)

I've had a better look at her today, she certainly has some bodywork issues, looks good at 20ft, just don't go any closer. lol She's had a very bad respray at some point, and there are several rust bubble areas that do need sorting. I dread to think whats behind the chrome sill covers, I think they will be staying on for now. lol

I took her out today to go see my bodyshop repair guy, he's going to sort out the bit of welding for the mot, and gave me a quote to sort out all the other issues, and it wasn't cheap. I know I bought her cheap, but blooming heck, I don't fancy paying those kind of figures, I reckon I will be doing most work myself, a long term rolling restoration me thinks... what fun that will be. :duh:

She drives ok, good oil pressure, and the overdrive works, plenty of new bits been fitted, new petrol tank, pump, new exhaust, brake master cylinder, ignition coil, plugs & leads what I can see, she also has three folders of paperwork, also a MG parts catalog... bonus. ;) She does have a oil leak, could even be coming from the gearbox, need to get her up on some ramps, see what else she is hiding. :eek:

Its certainly enjoyable to have such an old vehicle to drive and work on, great fun driving the old girl, everything just seems so simple, good old school motoring. :D

A quick photo shoot on way back from the bodyshop, she looks good in the photos, you cant see what 41 years has done to the old girl. She is certainly a proper MG that's for sure lol ;) but she needs chrome bumpers, I'm not that keen on the black rubber, plus I'm after the front scoop valance, liking that design a lot.

Simply stunning as you don't see many orange MG's.

You can change the rubber bumpers to the chrome ones but does involve a bit of work.

The old car club that I am a member of there are several members that have MG's in all different colours, red, white, blue, green, yellow and brown, that's all the ones I can remember.

As for getting in and out of one I have no chance these days apart from the convertible.
I have driven many over the years, huge fun apart from the Midget which for me was impossible to get into.
The other small convertible I could drive was the Spitfire.

Dallas 15th November 2019 14:56

Thanks all. ;)

I'm beginning to not like the bright orange colour, the paintwork isn't the best, its been badly resprayed, paint is flat and peeling in places. There is quite a bit of work to get the old girl to a standard I would like, I may even revert back to plan A. :duh:

I'm really not a fan of the rubber bumpers, the more I look at it, the more I'm beginning to hate it. :eek: I thought I would get use to liking the look, but so far its having the opposite effect, I may go as far as selling the old girl, and to look for the chrome bumper model which I originally wanted.

It all boils down to personal preference I guess.

Dallas 16th November 2019 12:33

There's just enough room for a little doggy. ;)

https://scontent.flhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...58&oe=5E8C5C57

alanaslan 16th November 2019 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2775956)
Thanks all. ;)

I'm beginning to not like the bright orange colour, the paintwork isn't the best, its been badly resprayed, paint is flat and peeling in places. There is quite a bit of work to get the old girl to a standard I would like, I may even revert back to plan A. :duh:

I'm really not a fan of the rubber bumpers, the more I look at it, the more I'm beginning to hate it. :eek: I thought I would get use to liking the look, but so far its having the opposite effect, I may go as far as selling the old girl, and to look for the chrome bumper model which I originally wanted.

The rubber bumpers are very heavy!!! If you are going to remove them be warned they have big lumps of rust sorry steel inside them. As I recall the front is over 100kg.
I had a Inca yellow midget from 1980 through to 2012 had to sell her as I could no longer get out of her when I reached my destination. For the last six years that I had her she only did 800 miles a year that was three shows we used to go to.
Loved her but the brakes left a lot to be desired compared to a modern car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lordy 16th November 2019 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2775481)

Loving this Wes you've got yourself a great buy there, well chuffed for you. :cool:

Neil1 17th November 2019 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2775956)
Thanks all. ;)

This is how to do it.

Rubber Bumper Conversion

This is from Moss but expensive, some parts could be sourced secondhand.

Moss Conversion Kit

Dallas 17th November 2019 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Vengeance (Post 2776289)
Loving this Wes you've got yourself a great buy there, well chuffed for you. :cool:

Thanks Dave, she is up for sale now, I'm reverting back to plan A. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2776430)
This is how to do it.

Rubber Bumper Conversion

This is from Moss but expensive, some parts could be sourced secondhand.

Moss Conversion Kit

Thanks for the links Neil.

These past few weeks I regret missing out on two particular B's that ticked all the boxes, one was a 72 chrome bumper model in red, the other was a sebring conversion 78 model in inca yellow.

I don't feel the love for the orange one I have now, so she is up for sale Neil, I just hope I don't regret it. :getmecoat:

Lordy 17th November 2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2776440)
Thanks Dave, she is up for sale now, I'm reverting back to plan A. ;)

Thanks for the links Neil.

These past few weeks I regret missing out on two particular B's that ticked all the boxes, one was a 72 chrome bumper model in red, the other was a sebring conversion 78 model in inca yellow.

I don't feel the love for the orange one I have now, so she is up for sale Neil, I just hope I don't regret it. :getmecoat:

What the beep!!!!!!!!!!!

Your selling okay what's plan A lol. :D

Thought would have been a keeper, go on go for a Ford Capri join the darkside ;)