The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who works in the motor trade? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21911)

Jamie 7th June 2008 16:10

Who works in the motor trade?

Just curious as to how many folks on here are associated with the motor trade?

I teach engineering these days but I have deep roots in the trade going back to the mid seventies when I started a saturday job at an ex Leyland/Rover/Ford dealership, I served my apprenticeship there before moving onto Motorcycles and setting up a small garage. I moved into engineering in the mid 80s but still an avid car fanatic I restored a number of classic cars and bikes

I was a technical advisor for a several car/motorcycle clubs and I owned a car accessory bussiness for several years....I still keep close contacts with the trade and cllassic car scene.

I am interested to know if other folks have a trade background?

JohnDotCom 7th June 2008 16:12

There are quite a few on here Jamie including many Ex MG Rover staff and Raistlin of course. :D

Southside 7th June 2008 17:10

I worked for Nissan for just over a year then left, was sick of getting messed around. Now been doing mobile tyre fitting for nearly 2 years. Like the ones you see on the motorways e.t.c. Hoping to move up to mobile truck tyres next year, Mega money ;)

Phil 7th June 2008 18:20

Worked for VW dealer, never again, they are litter. (IMO of course.:))
I also worked for an ex austin dealership, to this day there is still the illuminated Austin Rover signs on the showroom. (ring any bells Rob:))
For the last 6 years I've been with Honda dealers, I'm trained to Diagnostic level, (only three levels, third is master tech, and I'm now the workshop controller at a Honda dealer.

tony g 7th June 2008 19:10

I served my time as a mechanic for a nissan dealer for 6 years, then i went in to the motorcycle trade till last year when i went to the isle of man to work with cars again, got laid of and im back at home on the "rock and roll" :shrug: :( been doin it since 1980 !!!!!!!!

tapped 7th June 2008 19:24

worked for Rover in Chassis Development primarily doing R25 and 45 V6 and the stillborn R30/R55 steering system development then same dept at Bentley on the Conti GT and Arnage upgrades and then chassis/engineering quality at Jaguar /Landrover.

Now in finance!

rovermech 7th June 2008 19:34

Motor Trade

Been in the trade all my life, working on cars,commercials,PSVs and contractors plant done the lot and at the age of 70 I still can't put the spanners down.
Had my own garage up to retiring - retired thats a laugh, but Ive enjoyed every minute, grandkids can't under stand when I say I used to love to go to work, but if you enjoy what you are doing thats half the battle.
Seen alot of changes and I never thought I would rely on a machine to tell me what the problem is with a car, but thats progress so they say:lol:

Keep up the good work on the forum
rovermech

tigerchubs 7th June 2008 21:54

Time served engineer, but moved into motor trade. Ex fast fit mechanic, & later MOT tester and test centre manager. I am now quality and training manager for a chain of car, commercial tyres and fastfit centers.

mikpeirce 7th June 2008 22:11

Escaped!

Managed 14 years in the motor trade before I escaped! Started as a parts driver for a Rover dealership, and ended as a parts manager when the whole lot went belly up in 2005.

Now bored out of my mind doing an admin job for a major computer services provider, although I do keep myself entertained helping my mate out on Saturdays with some spannering.

Think I need a new career :laughing2:

Mik

Paranoid Carlos 8th June 2008 15:57

Done my apprenticship on cars vans and lorrys (gawd bless em!) for a big construction company and stayed on the spanners for a few years after, till the piles, NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- money, and the being scared to death on the hard shoulder under wagons forced me away.
Still love working on my motors in fact I resent anybody else working on them, partly the reason I got the bike so I can tinker in the dry in the garage:D

I personaly think it becomes a drug once you have done it for a living, within an hour of getting the fazer home I had the brakes off oil drained and the suspension linkage in bits:shrug:

Mrs F wasn't impressed :(