The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oh-oh... Where did my petrol go? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=107261)

Deerhound 7th March 2012 08:13

Oh-oh... Where did my petrol go?

Parked on the drive last night. Fuel gauge just above half-way mark.
Started car this morning. Fuel gauge just below half-way mark.
I thought it might rise a bit after the car had warmed up (my Fiesta's used to) but it didn't.
Great :-/

HarryM1BYT 7th March 2012 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhound (Post 944355)
Parked on the drive last night. Fuel gauge just above half-way mark.
Started car this morning. Fuel gauge just below half-way mark.
I thought it might rise a bit after the car had warmed up (my Fiesta's used to) but it didn't.
Great :-/

I think we managed to arrive at a conclusion that the fuel gauge was in some way a calculated value, rather than a measured value. It can rise and fall depending upon how the car is driven.

Deerhound 7th March 2012 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 944361)
I think we managed to arrive at a conclusion that the fuel gauge was in some way a calculated value, rather than a measured value. It can rise and fall depending upon how the car is driven.

I'm obviously not driving it very well, then :o

pinebob 7th March 2012 08:53

i think local down and out thought what a beautiful place to spend a night jumped in went for a spin.on a more serious note have you checked for any slight leaks,i am inclined to agree with harry dials are not as accurate as they should be.

Deerhound 7th March 2012 08:58

I would have looked under the car for signs of a leak, but I had to park it on the grass last night so it wouldn't really have shown up. Will check under car after work today.

Bolin 7th March 2012 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 944361)

Interesting.

I started a thread about this sort of problem a while ago, in my case the needle would fall after fiddly parking but rise back up after driving about for a bit. The consensus then was that the gauge should only move down in direct proportion to the amount in the tank, whereas I had wondered if it showed the amount left in conjunction with the current manner of driving i.e. goes down quickly if hoofing it or using a bit extra when doing fiddly parking.

Harry, do you have a link to the previous discussion you are referring to please?

HarryM1BYT 7th March 2012 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolin (Post 944741)
Interesting.

I started a thread about this sort of problem a while ago, in my case the needle would fall after fiddly parking but rise back up after driving about for a bit. The consensus then was that the gauge should only move down in direct proportion to the amount in the tank, whereas I had wondered if it showed the amount left in conjunction with the current manner of driving i.e. goes down quickly if hoofing it or using a bit extra when doing fiddly parking.

Harry, do you have a link to the previous discussion you are referring to please?

No, but I remember reading about it and I agree the gauge (and the low fuel light) do seem to wonder about due to some other influence other than the actual tank contents. Likely the warning light works on remaining range, rather than remaining litres, so instantaineous consumption affects it.

The tank contents, as we know, is a calculated value due to the tank being a saddle shaped tank with it splitting into two at below the 1/4 level.

berkshirelad 7th March 2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhound (Post 944385)
I would have looked under the car for signs of a leak, but I had to park it on the grass last night so it wouldn't really have shown up. Will check under car after work today.

Well, you will in a few days.

Fuel on grass will kill it forever...

Deerhound 7th March 2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by berkshirelad (Post 944848)
Well, you will in a few days.

Fuel on grass will kill it forever...

Unfortunately there's not much of it left anyway. I live in a flat in a large converted house and visitors (not mine :p:) seem to be incapable of backing out of the drive :shrug:; instead they drive all over the little patch of grass, churning it up, get their cars stuck on the little wall that rises from the ground as the drive slopes, and generally make a mess of things and their cars. Thankfully, of the other two residents who own cars, one is a capable enough drivers that they back out and the other drives a Smart car and turns round easily.

I had to park on the (balding) grass patch yesterday, as the Smart car was parked over two spaces :rolleyes:

Johnny the Fox 7th March 2012 19:32

My gauge does exactly the same thing,put some fuel in it reads half a tank, get in the next morning and it will say three quarters full, arrive at work back to half full, next morning quarter full. Weird:o