The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Battery Isolator (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311551)

Rev Jules 8th March 2021 07:58

Battery Isolator

I have been using one of these Isolators for the last few months, would it have likely to have caused any problems with the techy bits in the car?.

Rev.

COLVERT 8th March 2021 20:51

Very unlikely----However it might be remotely possible to produce a spike in the electrical system as you break contact with the battery.

Electricity when flowing in a circuit does not like to be switched off. For instance the contacts on your light switches at home always arc slightly as you switch off a light.
One of the reasons why, if you have a gas leak in a room and the light is on, you must never switch off the light before the room is cleared of gas.

bl52krz 9th March 2021 17:44

Hi Jules. I don’t know much about elektrickery but I can not see how having turned off the electric to the systems in /on the car, can make a big difference.Otherwise, every time you switch off, you would do some damage.

TourerSteve 9th March 2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2869741)

I have been using one of these Isolators for the last few months, would it have likely to have caused any problems with the techy bits in the car?.

Rev.

Although I've not got an isolator ,when it is stood for any length of time I disconnect the battery on the Rover 45 . As good practice I always wait for the ECU to shutdown before disconnecting , Usually you can hear a high pitched whistle until it does . Obviously with the battery connected the ECU has a feed , Once disconnected the ECU will lose certain information (eg fault codes , memory , etc ) but retains its programme . I would imaging BigRuss or Marinabrian would give you a more detailed description
I have done this with the Rover 45 for the last five years with no problems following the above procedure

clf 9th March 2021 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2869741)

Rev.

Would this not affect the alarm system? If it does, it would potentially affect an insurance claim - just a thought.

TourerSteve 9th March 2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2870034)
Would this not affect the alarm system? If it does, it would potentially affect an insurance claim - just a thought.

Yes potentially it could if the car stolen as alarm isolated if battery isolated, ,My Car is in a secure garage parked behind my main car so it would have to be moved and between a Merc and a Rover , I think I know which one would be stolen

COLVERT 9th March 2021 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2869998)
Hi Jules. I don’t know much about elektrickery but I can not see how having turned off the electric to the systems in /on the car, can make a big difference.Otherwise, every time you switch off, you would do some damage.

Hi there.--When you say---Switch off---do you mean the ignition switch ??

The system remains LIVE after turning off the ignition however dis-connecting the battery means nothing electrical is working.--:eek:

bl52krz 10th March 2021 15:29

Sorry Jon. I ment when you use an isolator switch on the battery. I think Steve in post 4 puts it more succinctly than I managed.

rovertone 10th March 2021 21:46

If you have a hi line sat nav unit I suggest you put some form of 'aide memoire' on the isolator to make sure the unit shuts down before you disconnect. I have a label on the battery box to remind me but still forget! So far I've got away without it causing any probs.