The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Catalytic Converter (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310153)

Rev Jules 28th December 2020 16:14

Catalytic Converter

Has anyone on here had theirs nicked.

Rev.

kelvo 28th December 2020 16:41

yep, had the one nicked off my ZT a couple of years back.

Seems to be on the rise again.

snowman 28th December 2020 17:36

Not a rover but in the last week 8 cars have had their nicked honda Toyota fords in my area on the Toyotas they took the exhaust as well

Phil-Hex 28th December 2020 20:29

cat prices have risen quite a bit lately so certain ones are, in the eyes of some worth pinching :icon_cry:
sometimes depending on model of car its worth taking yours off, selling and replacing with aftermarket rather than some scroat stealing it and damaging other parts in the process.
if youve got one lying about in the garage drop me a pm :xmas-smiley-008:

Oldoaks 29th December 2020 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil-Hex (Post 2856422)
cat prices have risen quite a bit lately so certain ones are, in the eyes of some worth pinching :icon_cry:
sometimes depending on model of car its worth taking yours off, selling and replacing with aftermarket rather than some scroat stealing it and damaging other parts in the process.
if youve got one lying about in the garage drop me a pm :xmas-smiley-008:

The problem with that idea is that a large number of the aftermarket CATS will struggle to make it through emissions for the MOT in subsequent years, there is a reason why they are cheaper than the OEM...

Mickyboy 29th December 2020 15:41

Diesel cats aren’t worth the effort, prices don’t change much current value today is sub £80 as show here from my account page

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...b59ca82b81.jpg

V6 models however have KAT001 and KAT002 with a combined total of circa £260 so those are the ones at risk, don’t replace any catalytic converter with an aftermarket cat as they are absolutely worthless and don’t last very long in my experience, I remember working out the scrap value at around £6 😡😡😡 tells you everything
Mick

Ian G 29th December 2020 16:00

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...r-thieves.html

I must admit that if I owned a car that was high risk I'd be thinking about having two exhaust systems made up one with cat for MOT time and one catless for the rest of the time.. Non ethical I know but !!
Have a look on the Copart site more and more write offs appearing with listing of underbody damage and usually means stolen cat

Phil-Hex 29th December 2020 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldoaks (Post 2856544)
The problem with that idea is that a large number of the aftermarket CATS will struggle to make it through emissions for the MOT in subsequent years, there is a reason why they are cheaper than the OEM...

As may be, but usually more a problem with the cheapo after market ones...... However its a position you'll possibly end up in regardless if your cat is stolen, as Mickyboy says the diesel ones aren't worth much so they're pretty safe. The v6 ones however are worth the risk for them cutting them off, I'd happily pay £300 for a pair in good condition.

If your cat collapses or is stolen where are you going to find original V6 cats these days and are you going to pay over £300 for a pair? You can go round in circles but you'll always end up with aftermarket being at the end.. Just my opinion of course :xmas-smiley-008:

kelvo 29th December 2020 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil-Hex (Post 2856576)
As may be, but usually more a problem with the cheapo after market ones...... However its a position you'll possibly end up in regardless if your cat is stolen, as Mickyboy says the diesel ones aren't worth much so they're pretty safe. The v6 ones however are worth the risk for them cutting them off, I'd happily pay £300 for a pair in good condition.

If your cat collapses or is stolen where are you going to find original V6 cats these days and are you going to pay over £300 for a pair? You can go round in circles but you'll always end up with aftermarket being at the end.. Just my opinion of course :xmas-smiley-008:

I ended up getting a replacement original front section of exhaust from a trader on here to replace mine, they only took one of the two cats - the rearmost one so I've kept the front section of the exhaust 'just in case'.

Oldoaks 30th December 2020 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil-Hex (Post 2856576)

Thankfully I was able to acquire a good second hand OEM KV6 CAT a few years ago (kept under lock and key before you ask :D). It was as a direct result of having 2 pattern CATS in two years...