The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The MG ZT 6.4 HEMI PROJECT (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317696)

Ad03mgzed 8th February 2022 19:19

The MG ZT 6.4 HEMI PROJECT

Hi all this has been in thvplanning for a couple of years, and now th project is moving forward

We now have acquired a dodge charger 6.4l hemi engine thats come all the way from America, admirably needs a new crank so got some.engine work too do before she be running.

We've acquired a standard v6 shell that was been dismantled sue to engine failure so no good motors are going too get hurt.

We've bidded on the gearbox and rear diff today out of a challanger thats been dismantled, so will be quite custom.

Now weve got photos and drawings off the orgional set up that the v8s had when they were built. Does anyone have a old rotton subframe from a v8 we could use for mock up.

More details on come

trikey 8th February 2022 19:31

Get in touch with the 260's as they used to do a subframe refurbishment scheme (You bought a refurbed one and gave them your old one in part ex) They might have something that suits.

And we need pics..... :D

Ad03mgzed 8th February 2022 19:49

Loads of pics will be put up will put some pics tomorrow off the engine etc, I will give them a call see if they have anything that can be used for mock up etc

Rick-sta 8th February 2022 20:02

will be following with interest. :)

trikey 8th February 2022 21:04

I built a trike using a hemi engine, all I will say is when fabricating engine mounts, add 20% to your original thickness of the steel, then brace them!!

DeeJ 9th February 2022 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2919762)
Get in touch with the 260's as they used to do a subframe refurbishment scheme (You bought a refurbed one and gave them your old one in part ex) They might have something that suits.

And we need pics..... :D

That would be the rear subframe then. I hope that doesn't happen in a way, unless on a loan basis of course, because non-availability of a repairable subframe could condemn a REAL ZT260/75V8 to death, whilst waiting for a transplant. Front subframes are basically the same as FWD cars with a hole hacked through for the rack to be fitted.

Ad03mgzed 9th February 2022 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJ (Post 2919814)
That would be the rear subframe then. I hope that doesn't happen in a way, unless on a loan basis of course, because non-availability of a repairable subframe could condemn a REAL ZT260/75V8 to death, whilst waiting for a transplant. Front subframes are basically the same as FWD cars with a hole hacked through for the rack to be fitted.

Yes thats correct not that worried with the front aubframe as we can modifi that quite easy.

But in regards too the rear off they have a rotton shabby horrible one that's not fit for use so we can use it for mock up etc that be useful but we won't take a perfectly sound one from them which could be used to keep the originals on the road so do t worry no v8 zeds would be hurt

Ad03mgzed 9th February 2022 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2919783)
I built a trike using a hemi engine, all I will say is when fabricating engine mounts, add 20% to your original thickness of the steel, then brace them!!

I completely agree you can buy the permanent custom mounts fro. America but they look flimsy so I do agree add more meat too the brackets etc

trikey 9th February 2022 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJ (Post 2919814)

No 260 has to die because of a rusty rear subframe, its only metal at the end of the day, if originals are not available then fabricate something, there will come a time when we have to make certain bits for our cars as the original stuff will be unobtainable.

Look how many vintage cars are still around, all are kept running by folk who make stuff, I hope the Hemi project comes to fruition as I'd hazard a guess it will be finished off a lot better than an original 260.

edwardmk 8th March 2022 20:42

Sounds like a very interesting project. How heavy is a 6.4l hemi compared to the standard 4.6 V8? What power output are you hoping for? I'd imagine you must be planning a lot of suspension mods for the extra weight and to get traction as opposed to wheelspin?:bowdown: