The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PAS pump refurbishment-seals (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=229208)

David Lawrence 27th October 2015 06:06

PAS pump refurbishment-seals

I recently purchased a second hand pump from a trader here with the intention of buying a seal kit to replace the originals. I subsequently found that the company who had the seals don't have one for my specifc model. The one i thought they had turned out to be for the rack not the pump.

So i am now looking to buy some gasket sheeting and make my own, plus some suitable o rings etc.

Can anyone suggest the best material to handle the pressure, the fluid, and the thickness.

The original one between the 2 body halves appears to be a rubber type rather than paper. The o rings, do they need to be neoprene or viton?

Mike Noc 27th October 2015 07:49

Have you tried here David?

steeringseals.com/400-6.html

The pump shown is for the 400, but I read that the seal kit is also suitable for our pumps.

David Lawrence 27th October 2015 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2128640)
Have you tried here David?

steeringseals.com/400-6.html

The pump shown is for the 400, but I read that the seal kit is also suitable for our pumps.

I will get in touch and ask.

Thanks

David Lawrence 28th October 2015 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawrence (Post 2129080)
I will get in touch and ask.

Thanks

Ok so here is the answer to my enquiry:

Hello

Thank you for your recent enquiry

It will depend on which pump you have. The HE type is half aluminium, half cast iron with a gasket in the middle

We can supply a kit for the HE type @ £15.00 plus VAT includes UK postage.
This kit is however not on the Website at the moment. If this is the one you need please call us on 01902 404258 between 9.00am - 2.30pm with your card details and address and we can post one to you.

If its not this type then we could probably do with a picture to see what type you have.

Hope this helps

Regards
Steering Seals

Now my pump has "HA" on the label, so I presume this means their kit will not be suitable for the cdt pump. Any opinions? I will send them a photo anyway and see what they say.

SD1too 28th October 2015 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawrence (Post 2129996)
We can supply a kit for the HE type ...
Now my pump has "HA" on the label ..

'HE' stands for Hobourn Eaton, the original manufacturer, so are you absolutely sure about your label?

Simon

David Lawrence 29th October 2015 03:12

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 53815

It says DANA HA

kaiser 29th October 2015 05:42

Just cut a seal from any gasket material with a similar thickness to the original, make sure the pump turns easily when assembled.
Take the pump halves and get the right O-rings from a bearing/seal supplier.
They can usually see what size will fit.
You can use normal standard o-ring material. They will harden with age, but mostly likely last 10 years minimum.
The pressure is not a problem, don't worry about that.

SD1too 29th October 2015 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawrence (Post 2130268)
It says DANA HA

Ah, a different manufacturer then: Dana. Why not go back to Steering Seals with that information? I see that they're Jay Gee who once refurbished a Morris Marina manual rack for me, so you're in good hands there. :}

Simon

David Lawrence 29th October 2015 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2130296)
Ah, a different manufacturer then: Dana. Why not go back to Steering Seals with that information? I see that they're Jay Gee who once refurbished a Morris Marina manual rack for me, so you're in good hands there. :}

Simon

I sent them the same photo i posted here and they have now confirmed they do a kit for this at £15 plus vat, but it is not shown on their website so has to be ordered by phone. I will get one as soon as time permits.

I noted thas despite the huge "HA" on the label, the part code starts "HE" so it probably is what they refer to as a "HE type".

Bolin 29th October 2015 17:54

Is this CDT PAS pump the same as used on the KV6 - anybody know?

I like the idea of a cheap fix for a persistent very slight weep, shame that it's a bit of a faff to remove though.