The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Central heating boilers - a question (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28573)

Raistlin 1st November 2008 19:06

Central heating boilers - a question

It looks a though our boiler is speculating about the possibility of expiring and it seems that a stored hot water tank is no longer de rigueur.

The question, posed by a much dismayed SWMBO is:-

How do folk go about airing laundry without the assistance of a nice warm airing cupboard?

This is a genuine concern and any helpful pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duotone 1st November 2008 19:15

When we had our "Combi" boiler installed SWMBO had a very small radiator with a thermostatic valve installed in the airing cupboard.

Seemed crazy at the time, but it has proved its worth and it works..

Dave T

Greeners 1st November 2008 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duotone (Post 247681)
When we had our "Combi" boiler installed SWMBO had a very small radiator with a thermostatic valve installed in the airing cupboard.

Seemed crazy at the time, but it has proved its worth and it works..

Dave T

What a great idea....

Raistlin 1st November 2008 19:24

OK - I can see that - but what about when the heating isn't on?

Duotone 1st November 2008 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raistlin (Post 247684)
OK - I can see that - but what about when the heating isn't on?

The airing cupbord is used mainly in the Winter when the central heating is on, during the rest of the year washing is dried outside. [Cor! I am really domesticated]

Dave T

andy 1st November 2008 19:37

You fit a small radiator in place of the tank !

BUT - before going down the combi route consider the following ----

No stored hot water usually means no stored cold, means the only water available in the premises at any given time is what the supply pipe from the main is capable of supplying.

This means that if toilet is flushed, washing machine is on fill cycle, another tap is opened elsewhere in the house the nicely balanced shower you are having is disrupted, maybe not a lot if its a good quality thermostatic one or electric but the flow rate will most probably be reduced.

I have seen/carried out numerous rising main replacements and plumbing alterations AFTER people have had a combi installed.

It is obviously a easier/cheaper option in some situations but they have their drawbacks.

Obviously it is all down to the existing situation and projected usage.

Send me a PM and I will give you a call if you would like to discuss, there are various simple tests that you can carry out which may clarify if your house is suitable.

Andy

andy 1st November 2008 19:41

Must learn to type more quickly !!!!!!

Duotone got in first

You put in an electric heater for summer use - heat wherever it comes from costs

Andy

Kandyman 1st November 2008 19:41

Back to the good old days

http://www.pulleymaid.com/images/classic09.jpg

stocktake 1st November 2008 20:48

You can have a combination boiler and pipe up an indirect cyl as a radiator. The cyl could be then used in conjunction with its header tank and a power shower. The cyl could be used to supply hot water to bath and upstairs sink whilst sink taps downstairs are supplied via the combination boiler. Not cheap initially but gives back up of hot water services in case of failure especially if backed up with immersion heater or even solar panels :)

Simple solution is to fit a condensing system boiler and new indirect cylinder.

black olive 1st November 2008 21:42

and then of course there is a ground ssource heat pump to consider !!.

A lot of options out there at the moment. When we refitted the kitchen we put a large towel rail type radiator against one wall, this fits a washload on it, only works when the heating is on, but you can get them with an electrical element for when the heating isnt on